The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1
FrosSsT

Sig Sauer P226 - Mk25

I am looking into buying one of these, does anybody have any input or experience on them? (The reviews I have read online for the most part say they are great - but I like to get input from people who have owned them for a while)
Old August 6, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
GregInAtl

I have a Sig 226 9mm. If I had to get rid of all my guns except one the 226 is the one I would keep.

That should tell you something.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3
BigJimP

All of the 226's are mechanically the same / with the exception of some trigger options...

I have a pair of 226's , all stainless, one in 9mm and one in .40 ...both very good guns ...several thousand rounds thru each of them with no issues.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1344296606

The mk 25 is only cosmetically different - with the anchor on the left side of the slide...which is kind of cool / if that's what you want.
Old August 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
output

You will be hard pressed to find lots of negative information about the P226 platform.

In my experience they are very robust and reliable. You should handle one in person though (and preferably shoot one.) I am 6’ tall and 210 lbs and the P226 is a little large for my grip. I still like the platform but it does not fit my hand(s) perfectly.

If I could only have one pistol I would not be disappointed with any P226
Old August 6, 2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Coach Z

One advantage to the MK25 is it comes with night sights. I just got my fist sig today (a 229) and I'm super impressed with the fit and finish.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
One advantage to the MK25 is it comes with night sights.
So do a lot of their models...

If you like the looks jump on it! If you just want a P226, which is a great platform, I'd save myself the extra money if I were you and skip out on SIG's marketing gimmicks.
Old August 7, 2012, 01:00 AM   #7
sigcurious

Agreed with TunnelRat. You're paying extra for night sights, an anchor on the slide, a fancy serial number tag(UID) and an anti-corrosion coating on the internals. 1 of those things is useful to most users(night sights), the anti-corrosion coating might be, for a small minority of users. I lived on the beach where most things that could rust did, but my 226 without a coating is just fine.

For the less you can get a 226 with night sights and a .22 upper(get a classic .22 version and add whatever caliber upper you choose). Or for similar prices you can get something with the SRT trigger and night sights, something like the enhanced elite or elite. Sig has a great marketing dept, but also some deals if you can look past the marketing.
Old August 7, 2012, 04:32 AM   #8
Genepix

I have owned a 226 for over ten years, and picked up a new E2 last year- perhaps my favorite pistol ever.
Old August 9, 2012, 08:59 AM   #9
GregInAtl

Sig Custom Shop

A side question: Has anyone that has a 226 9mm ever had any trigger work done by the Sig Custom Shop. If so, I'd be interested in knowing the outcome.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Patriot86

Something important to note about the MK25 is that it comes with a "true" Picatinny rail, NOT the "standard" more rounded SIG rail. Oddly enough I don't see this listed in SIGS workup on the Mk25 Anymore.

The SIG rail works with some lights but not with others, with a true Picatinny rail you are going to be able to use pretty much any rail mounted handgun accessory on the market.

MK25 Rail:

"Standard" Rail

Rumor has it SIG was/is moving to a more "Picatinny" style rail on ALL guns but I have yet to see it. My P226 from 2010 has the rounded rail, so does my P229 from early 2012.

Something else to consider, the Mk25 DOES NOT come with the SIG "Short Reset Trigger". I would urge you to go and try dryfiring a sig with the "normal" trigger, then a model with the SRT like the Enhanced Elite, Elite Dark, Stainless Elite ot other models that include it. If you end up really liking the SRT over the standard trigger then I would buy an Elite Dark or Enhanced Elite over the MK25. Personally I love the SRT and wouldn't own a SIG that did not have it. This can be retrofitted onto any P226 but at an added cost.
Old August 10, 2012, 04:36 PM   #11
FrosSsT

That was a very interesting thing about the rail you pointed out. I never knew Sig had a rounded rail like that before you shown those 2 pictures.
Old August 10, 2012, 04:43 PM   #12
BigJimP

I have not used the Sig custom shop for any work on a Sig ...but a buddy did send one of his 229's to TJ's Custom Shop ...and was very impressed with the work.

http://www.tjscustomgunworks.com/

I don't know what Sigs custom shop limitations are ...but I would at least recommend you check out TJ's site.