The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 5, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Nine the Ranger

Finally got my Mini-14

I just picked up my Mini-14 from Wal-Mart for $700, wasn't able to pick up any ammo at the time but I'll pick up some Winchester USA .223 tomorrow to break the new toy in.

Any ideas on some add-ons for the new toy?

'In a Man to Man fight, the Winner is He who has one more round in his magazine.'-Erwin Rommel
Old August 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Rogervzv

Yes. Magazines. As many as you can comfortably afford.

If you want a red dot sight, the GG&G Picatinny rail mount works great. I have 'em on both my Minis and I swear by it:

Old August 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #3
hardhat harry

Roger, does the GG&G rail lock into the Ruger mounts the same way the Ruger rings mount?

Ninetheranger: Pictures or it didn't happen What model did you get?
Old August 5, 2012, 04:59 PM   #4
skoro

Quote:
Any ideas on some add-ons for the new toy?

I only have two for my 4 year old Ranch Rifle. A sling and a scope. The scope is a Burris Timberline 2-7x28 and it's perfect for that rifle.
Old August 5, 2012, 05:06 PM   #5
QuarterHorse

Congrats, all these mini threads make me want to dig mine back out and play with it.
Old August 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Nine the Ranger

Quote:
Ninetheranger: Pictures or it didn't happen What model did you get?
Sorry Harry, no camera.

But I got the standard wood and blued steel model. Most people my age have no appreciation for the 'old' styled guns, that means I have them all to myself

'In a Man to Man fight, the Winner is He who has one more round in his magazine.'-Erwin Rommel
Old August 5, 2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Crosshair

Easy, replace the factory gas bushing with a reduced power on.

Improved accuracy, less scope eating, less recoil, while maintaining reliability.

After that, if you want to, you could add a Accu-Strut or something similar.
Old August 5, 2012, 07:33 PM   #8
ROGER4314

They are nice rifles and it will serve you well. Check out the gas system....it's a hoot! The piston is stationary and the cylinder is attached to the operating rod.

I prefer to keep my Mini lean, sleek and stock. I don't try to scope or modify it as I've done that with other Mini 14's and it just didn't appeal to me. I also had a Mini 30 some years back and I liked that even better!

Enjoy your new Mini 14!

Flash
Old August 6, 2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Rogervzv

Quote:
Roger, does the GG&G rail lock into the Ruger mounts the same way the Ruger rings mount?
Yes, exactly. And very sturdily, I might add. After 1000 rounds it is still very solid. And in case you were wondering, you can remove the bolt from the Mini without disturbing the rail or red dot sight.

If you are not going to mount a red dot sight (or scope) on your Mini, another very nice accessory is the Tech Sight iron sight. This one is much better than the Ruger stock iron rear sight in my opinion.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
hardhat harry

Thanks. The thing I like with the Ruger stock rings is the ability to remove and replace without screwing up zero.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Rogervzv

Quote:
Thanks. The thing I like with the Ruger stock rings is the ability to remove and replace without screwing up zero.
I really cannot speak to that as I leave my sight setup undisturbed even during cleaning. The GG&G hardware is very good; to that I will attest. Tried an alternative (Burris) and I much prefer the GG&G hardware. Ruger scope rings are good too. My Aimpoint sight came with a special, extra-wide scope ring so I wanted to stick with that, hence the GG&G tactical rail in the photo. This setup has worked very satisfactorily. I did need to lock-tight the rings, by the way (Not the GG&G rail, however). Folks I have talked to seem to indicate that the Ruger rings also need lock-tight which would, come to think of it, call into question the notion of removing the rings on a regular basis, although of course with blue lock tight (which is all I ever use) you can remove the screws with some effort. The Mini 14 is notorious for shaking scope rings loose if they are not lock-tighted (is that an adjective?).
Old August 6, 2012, 09:59 AM   #12
greyeyezz

Here's my GG&G mount and Burris fastfire. I need to get to the range quickly.

Old August 6, 2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Nine the Ranger

Probably a dumb question but the Mini-14 is safe with 5.56 designated ammo right?

The manual says use .223(5.56) ammo, but I want to double check.

Old August 6, 2012, 12:31 PM   #14
hardhat harry

Yes, except the Mini-14 TARGET can ONLY use .223 PAGE 11 of the owners manual tells you that both 5.56mm and .223 can be used.
Old August 6, 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
Nine the Ranger

Thanks Harry.

I was pretty sure, but I didn't want to assume and regret it later.

Old August 7, 2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Crazy88Fingers

An extended magazine release lever is an easy install and makes pulling those mags out MUCH easier. Also, Choate makes a good flash hider and hand guard that will make it look more like a Mini-14

Last edited by Crazy88Fingers; August 7, 2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:50 AM   #17
Bamashooter

Congrats Nine. I have a 580 series and I love the mini. It may not be sub-moa but its dead nutts reliable. As you can see there are things you can do to improve upon a great platform. Have fun.