The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 3, 2012, 07:57 AM   #26
larryh1108

If you will be working downtown then there is no easy drive to work, period. Depending on where you live, if you wish to drive then you are looking at leaving no later than 6am to get lighter traffic or plan a 1.5 hour drive, minimum and more with weather.

I was a SW burb guy. The traffic north and northwest are too brutal for any type of commuting. Add road construction in summer and snow in winter and driving will be an aggravation all the time if you live NW or north.

Stay out of Cook County if you like guns. Too many restrictions. Do find Metra stops, circle them and look for housing near them. WI and IN have some nice areas when you can take the train and have better gun laws but if you wish to drive to work then those areas are not ideal unless you like 2 hour commute times.

Chicago is a beautiful city with many world class things to do. Enjoy it.
Old September 3, 2012, 09:23 AM   #27
Onward Allusion

If working in downtown Chicago, Indiana is half the distance of Kenosha, WI or anywhere by the WI - IL border in NE IL.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Last edited by Onward Allusion; September 4, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarification
Old September 4, 2012, 07:36 AM   #28
whitefeathersniper

I echo everyone else here = stay away from Cook county.
How far of a commute are you willing to do? That is also something to keep in mind. I grew up in a small town near Aurora. I have never been to it but there is Aurora Sportsmans Club.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:35 PM   #29
armed_librarian

If commuting is in the equation....

I live in NW Indiana. Someone mentioned the Metra from Kenosha, here in NWI we also have a commuter train. http://www.nictd.com/

You can check out the schedule for yourself, but the trains run frequently, also monthly passes are not priced to bad. I don't work in Chicago, but I drive in frequently. I live in Porter County and a drive into downtown is possible in less than 45 min (without traffic) and depending on where you are going.

I'm a fan of our gun laws here. We are also a "shall issue" state (just make sure you do your fingerprints electronically, its a 5 day versus 3 month wait right now). And frankly, the firearm laws here are quite lax. We also have some nice ranges pretty close.

Best of luck with your decision!