The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 2, 2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Blackops_2

GAP 10 Most Accurate AR 10 type rifle? Maybe so. (1/2 MOA @ 1000yds)

Just saw that Tyler posted this. Its by far the most accurate 7.62 AR i've seen. Gotta get one. Though Tyler is an excellent shot and it's almost always the indian over the arrow, it's extremely impressive to see it do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGmu...&feature=g-u-u
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 3, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
RT

I vote yes
Old August 2, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Eghad

$2600 for a rifle that shoots like that is well spent money.

NRA Life Member
Old August 4, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Blackops_2

I agree, just have to find time to get money saved up. Has me wanting one extremely bad now.

Bump figured it would get more recognition 1/2 MOA @ 1000yds with a semi..
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 4, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old August 4, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
buckhorn_cortez

I have a Les Baer .308 Semi-Auto Sniper and have shot <.25 MOA at 100 yards. Have shot metallic silhouettes at 900 yards. Don't have a place to put up 1,000 yard targets - and at that point, the accuracy would be more my failing than the rifle.

It really becomes a question of ammunition with highly accuracy rifles. I've looked at some Federal ammunition with a concentricity gage and was disappointed to find 0.0095 measurement in some rounds with variability running 0.0015 to the 0.0095.
Old August 5, 2012, 06:54 AM   #6
SR420

Quote:
Blackops_2

Bump figured it would get more recognition 1/2 MOA @ 1000yds with a semi..
It's been done before.

SEI is able to get sub MOA @ 1000 yards with their Crazy Horse M14s with M118LR
Old August 5, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Blackops_2

Hadn't seen that. Still half MOA @ 1000yds for an AR platform is extremely impressive.

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 5, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old August 5, 2012, 06:16 PM   #8
KChen986

I think GAP and Larue are the top contenders for accurate semi-auto rigs. If I did not have a precision gun already, it would probably be between the Larue OBR and GAP 10.
Old August 5, 2012, 06:21 PM   #9
UtopiaTexasG19

Unless all the competitors were tested at the same place, same day, same ammunition I doubt any one could claim to be the most accurate though this unit looks to perform way near the top.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:14 PM   #10
Blackops_2

That's true. Though i've never seen an AR as consistent as the GAP10. Most range reports on the hide are having results of bolt rifle accuracy and as Tyler displayed even at distance. Granted i haven't looked into the OBR or Les Baer, KAC has mixed reviews for the cost of their weapons. The LMT MWS would be my second choice.

Old August 5, 2012, 09:23 PM   #11
UtopiaTexasG19

I am really impressed with the fellows shooting abilities also.
Ok, let me re-phrase that....jealous!
Old August 6, 2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Blackops_2

Yeah Tyler can shoot, i asked him on the hide if he got much time to shoot during the school year. Both of us being undergrad i was curious how he fits it in his schedule. He said he does almost no shooting during the semester, which is pretty ridiculous. He obviously just has a natural talent for it. For me to retain my consistency and accuracy i have to constantly shoot.

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 8, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:43 PM   #13
JohnO

Yea. Not sure how he can retain that kind of accuracy without consistent practice. I barely shot for about 2 months last winter and saw my accuracy degraded a little.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Blackops_2

He might just do it all summer. I hardly have time anymore except the one month i get off in winter to shoot my rifles. I know what you mean though if i don't shoot i lose it.

Old August 8, 2012, 06:24 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

What's the big deal? It's well known that the 7.62 AR platform is a very capable rifle. I see sportsman shooters get sub moa with $900 DPMS LR-308's.

Getting .5 moa at 1k yds is more shooter than anything. My N6 can do .5 moa at 100-300yds, past that the shooters skill starts to show.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Blackops_2

Noone said anything about the 7.62x51 AR being incapable of accuracy at distance. Yeah it's a big deal (for me at least) because 3/8s MOA and just Sub-MOA are two different things, especially when it comes to a semi. Sub-MOA is nothing new on semi's but to see one that will hold it's ground all day long with my bolt rifle (and others) is impressive. While i do agree it's all shooter at the 1k yard line, semi's aren't known for that kind of accuracy. Most people can't do that with a bolt rifle much less a semi. In my experience and most others that i've talked to semi's are harder to shoot accurately than bolt guns. IMO it's extremely impressive, and is a good example of what kind of rifles George puts out.

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 8, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #17
sailskidrive

Fulton Armory guarantees their Droughnought at .5 MOA, .25 less than the GAP10.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old August 8, 2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Blackops_2

The the gap 10 in the video just averaged .35 MOA. Tyler states guaranteed under 3/4s MOA as well. I'm not saying it's the most accurate AR-10 type rifle in the world, there is a reason i said maybe so, but it certainly contends.

I'm sure Fulton armory's AR 10 variant is just as accurate. The difference being i've seen the GAP 10 range reports, tyler results, George's results, and it's a shooter

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:09 AM   #19
sailskidrive

It pretty much comes down to the quality of barrel... You could put a Krieger barrel on a DPMS upper/lower combo and it would shoot head to head with the GAP and Fulton.

The mass acceptance of the AR platform in general has really pushed the minimum expected quality bar up pretty high!
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old August 9, 2012, 06:34 AM   #20
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
It pretty much comes down to the quality of barrel... You could put a Krieger barrel on a DPMS upper/lower combo and it would shoot head to head with the GAP and Fulton.

The mass acceptance of the AR platform in general has really pushed the minimum expected quality bar up pretty high!
Now you're trying to be realistic about this. The thread is supposed to be a GAP lovefest based upon one shooter and one rifle being extrapolated to a universal conclusion - "GAP10 Most Accurate AR-10 type rifle."

The fact is there are probably 3-4 manufacturers that can match the accuracy - with the shooter having the greatest effect. For example, I have no idea how Les Baer shoots his test targets - but, I can tell you the two 5-shot groups provided with the rifle look like slightly enlarged, ragged .30 caliber holes. Meaning, Les is one hell of shot (yes, he shot the test target - it's signed by him) and I wouldn't doubt he could do the same thing nearly any day.

The best I've been able to do with the rifle is one hole that's about .50 caliber in size for 5 shots - slightly smaller than a nickle where Les' targets are less than a dime in size.

For my use, none of that matters - I'm using it for precision tactical rifle and the second time I took it out after getting the scope sighted - I hit a torso steel target at 900 yards with repeated shots - in a variable cross wind. Took 3 shots to get the elevation dialed into the scope, and one shot for the crosswind - and then you could just pull the trigger and repeat the hit on the target.

I shot 5 shots, and then turned the rifle over to a friend, told him where to put the cross hair for windage, and he repeated the multiple shots. Neither of us are talented, practiced long range shooters - but, as I'm fond of saying - "I'll take luck over talent any day."
Old August 9, 2012, 10:55 AM   #21
Blackops_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn Cortez
The thread is supposed to be a GAP lovefest based upon one shooter and one rifle being extrapolated to a universal conclusion - "GAP10 Most Accurate AR-10 type rifle."
That's a bit stretched. It's simply the title of the thread in the form of a question (to spark interest), not to say it's the best AR10 on the planet. Which wasn't my intention. It was a video of Tyler shooting a 1/2 MOA group at the 1k line with a GAP 10 which i thought was impressive, so I posted it. Nothing more. I do like GAP products though, just as i like APA, Black Ops precision, Pheonix customs, etc. The point i was making when i stated i've seen the results was not to disclaim that of fulton's or others, as i honestly haven't looked. I've just followed the GAP 10 since it's introduction and it has impressed me (as i begin to sound like a broken record). It's in no way the one all AR 10, just as there is no one all Bolt rifle because most of distance accuracy is shooter dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn Cortez
The fact is there are probably 3-4 manufacturers that can match the accuracy - with the shooter having the greatest effect. For example, I have no idea how Les Baer shoots his test targets - but, I can tell you the two 5-shot groups provided with the rifle look like slightly enlarged, ragged .30 caliber holes. Meaning, Les is one hell of shot (yes, he shot the test target - it's signed by him) and I wouldn't doubt he could do the same thing nearly any day.
I agree, as i stated in the very first post it's almost always a case of the shooter over the equipment as the equipment is almost always capable. It's just like as we compare say the fulton armory AR 10 and the GAP 10 very few of us could actually shoot the .25 MOA difference that's guaranteed. I'm sure if you handed Tyler your Les Baer he would produce the same results given the ammo and proper dope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn Cortez
but, as I'm fond of saying - "I'll take luck over talent any day."
Same here. Best group I've ever shot at distance was 1/2 inch at 300yds in 22mph wind, never been able to duplicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailskidrive
I agree accuracy starts with the barrel. I would like to see BCM get in the AR 10 game, with something like a BCM 10. I figure it's only an amount of time before they do. They have pretty good quality barrels, especially for the price. My mk12 mod 1 shoots 1/2 MOA with SWA 77gr Run N Gun. Not bad for a 300$ barrel.

Last edited by Blackops_2; August 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM.