The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 1, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
xLPlushy

Ruger LC9 sight help

Hey all,

I brought my dads Ruger LC9 home with me to clean since he has arthritis and can't clean them very easily, if at all.

While I was rubbing solvent onto the front of the slide, the front sight moved. Is this a common problem on these guns? Is there a way to secure it without taking it to the local smith or shipping it back to Ruger? It is very loose and does come out of the dovetail but only on the side pictured. The rear sight was also very loose, but I attributed that to the set screw being loose.

Thanks in Advance!

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old August 1, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Creeper

You can tighten the front sight fit by removing it, and with a center punch, putting some small dimples in the bottom edges and refitting it.
The dimpling will displace metal to the edges, making the blade effectively wider at it's front/rear edges, as well as forcing the angles into a tighter contact.

Cheers,
C
Old August 2, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
xLPlushy

Creeper,
I thought about doing that. I wasn't sure if there were other ways to remedy my problem. Also thought about red loctite.

Old August 2, 2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Creeper

I've had situations where I've done it. It's not optimum... which would be the maker getting the interference fit right in the first place. You get a slide that is maximum spec, and sight that is minimum spec, and an assembler that wasn't on his or her game that day... and you get what you got.

I don't know if generic "red" Loc-Tite will do it. There are well over 15 different "red" Loc-Tite products. I'd suggest going to the Loc-tite website and reviewing products.
It must be heat, solvent, water, oil resistant and able to fill gaps of up to... what ever the biggest gap you have is, and most importantly, cure in the conditions present.
Loc-tite with a "capillary action", meaning a product that has penetrating properties, such as "290" may be a better choice, or even a cyanoacrylate adhesive ("super glue").

Cheers,
C
Old August 2, 2012, 10:46 AM   #5
comn-cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z95rJ...5&feature=plcp

Try this.
Old August 2, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Creeper

Yep... 262 and 620 are both good possible choices, and I've used both in the prototype design and motorcycle industries.
The gunsmith in the video has done some good research for you.

Good catch comn-cents.

Cheers,
C
Old August 11, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
jsiberians

fornt site LC9

Actually the best thing to do is call Ruger cust serv. and at no charge they will send you a new slide with a pinned site and a prepaid envelope to mail the
old one back to them.
There is no cost and no down time. Turn around time about 8 days.
The contact info can be found here:
http://ruger.com/footer/contact.html
Old August 12, 2012, 09:31 AM   #8
xLPlushy

Dimpled the sight, and put some generic red loctite,271, on it and after a short test fire period of 8 rounds it's still solid. My younger brother loves the LC9 so I'll take him to the range and give him a box of ammo and let him have fun with it. Let him do my test fire work for me. I'm hoping the 271 will hold as the 620 is $18 for the 10mL bottle from MidwayUSA and I can't find it anywhere locally.

Old August 14, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
Johnnymurad

Call Ruger, this is a known issue on early production LC9's they will take good care of you.

Rev-Tac T-Shirts now Available!
www.rev-tac.com