The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 29, 2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Departed402

Talk me out of a DPMS .308 Recon

I'm in the market for a .308/7.62 AR, and I've landed on the DPMS 308 Recon.

WHY: I'm in the market for more range and more power. Based upon price and experience with the AR platform I've decided not to go with a SCAR, FNAR, M1A, FAL, or G3 variant. I live in a small town and the area outside of my town is rolling hills and hedge rows so my range is 0-500 yards. It will mostly be used for hunting (a bit heavy, I know, 2nd kind of cool) and SHTF.

I would like a free-floating barrel. A fore-end that can take accessories would be nice. I would like a thicker barrel. 20LR PMAGs are winning the 7.62 magazine war, so the gun I get needs to take them. Collapsible stock couldn’t hurt. I’m definitely adding optics to whatever gun I get for my stated purposes, but I’ll want iron sight as back-up just in case. The DPMS 308 Recon meets all of those.

WHY NOT: This is where I need YOUR help. What out there is costs less, is more reliable, lighter, more accurate, and meets all or most of the stated requirements? What else do I need or not need?

The only thing I can think of is the 16 inch barrel of the Recon may be too short, but I don't want to go longer than 18 inches for weight and mobilty reasons, plus many people feel 18" is ideal for 308 anyway.
Old July 29, 2012, 06:45 AM   #2
FALshootist

I think DPMS is the lowest priced AR pattern in 308/7.62. Unlike their 223 rifles, people that write about them on gun forums say they like them and they are accurate and reliable (notice I didn't say owned them,you never really know on the BSweb).

I though about getting one and saw a number of them at this weekends gunshow. I decided to look for the Armalite AR 10A that takes P mags instead. I'd also like to see the Colt 901 and its street price. That might be worth waiting for if its not crazy expensive like some of the other 308/7.62s out there.