The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 28, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Vermonter

Sell Me an AR its time!

I have almost bought an AR half a dozen times or so. Every time I get the gun budget built up I see a reason to spend more of my dime on ccw or hunting needs. Our household is set in the shotgun department as well as the handgun department. I have my hunting needs covered and I am thinking AR should be the next purchase.

I am thinking 223 for the first AR. I want something that will be reliable, accurate, have an adjustable stock, and not break the bank.

I am looking to stockpile 223 ammo and mags. I want to purchase two of these as well as the most common spare parts that will be needed.

It is my intention to train with this as much as possible and become proficient. I am left handed however I am not sure how much that really matters.

Basically I am looking for the best entry level AR that will be usable for HD SHTF and hunting appropriately sized game.

Regards, Vermonter
Old July 28, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Creeper

I'm left handed, and prefer a right hand AR... so really, it don't matter. Besides, I like being able to see the status of the ejection port without tilting the gun.

As far as entry level, sub $1000 ARs... the world is your oyster. There must be at least 50 out there, ranging from crap to OK to surprisingly excellent for the money.

Do a search... at all price points, opinions are similar in number to the rifles available. I don't offer specific opinions unless the post is more specific in brand & model... which allows me to be more objective in comparison.

Cheers,
C
Old July 28, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Woody55

I don't know about the left handed part, but my first AR was made by Olympic Arms. It worked just fine and didn't cost and arm and a leg. You can look up their stuff on their website.
Old July 28, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
customaquatics

the Palmetto State is the best bang for the buck i think. around $700 an they come with the 1-7 twist barrel. i love mine.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old July 28, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
katarn

would any of you happen to know where you can get a lower like this one?
Old July 28, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
customaquatics

the side of the reciever says vermilion ohio.
23 year old NRA member AKaholic #158907 , 1942 Ex-Sniper Izzy Mosin Nagant, 1970's Marlin 30-30, Remington 870 tatical, Charter Arms The Pink Lady 38 Special.
Old July 28, 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
jmr40

The most basic thing right now is the DPMS being sold at Walmart for around $580ish. They don't come with sights, but if you're mounting optics it doesn't matter. Both front and rear sights can be purchsed if you want. Stag makes a left handed AR, but I wouldn't bother. The AR platform works pretty well from either side.

I think you'll find either a red dot or low powered 1-4X scope is prefered over irons by most anyway. I have 4 AR's set up differently. One just with irons, one with a red dot, one with a 1-4X scope, and one for longer range work with 2-8X scope. All have front sights with a flip up rear sight that fits under, or behind the optic. If I had to pick only one it would be my Palmeto State Armory with a 1-4 with a flip up rear sight.

There are several good choices in the $700-$800 range. The S&W has become the default recommendation. I don't own one, but have heard too many good things to not recommend them. I do own Palmeto State Armory, Stag and Rock River. I'd recommend any of them. I also own a DPMS. It is a notch below the others. It serves it's purpose and would probably do anything I need doing, but it would be the last of the 4 I'd reach for. Not that it is a bad gun, but the others have more rugged internal parts and should be more reliable.

There are seveal others that are pretty good including Windham. Bushmaster and Sig make good guns and there is always Colt. Lots of guys will tell you that the Colt is only $300 or so more than the others and well worth the difference. Maybe, maybe not. The point is for under $800 you can get a very good AR. You will have to just look and see what is available locally. I like the PSA best, but your LGS may carry something else that may prove just as good for you. As said earlier the S&W has a loyal following, but you may find them sold out. AR's are selling like hotcakes right now and stores cannot always keep them in stock.

If you can get some of the Magpul magazines they seem to be the best made right now. They are a bit more expensive at $15-$20 depending on the source, but I'd buy a few. If you shop around and buy in bulk ( go in with a few friends), you can buy good metal mags for as little as $10 each. This is a good source.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar15m16.html

I actually prefer the 20 round mags. They don't stick out as far and don't get in the way. Good luck!
Old July 28, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Creeper

Lovely jmr40... level and objective comments from someone who owns 4 different, and sub 1K guns.

There are many seemingly satisfied posters who have bought/own Windhams, purchased from a big box store for excellent prices.
I have a bit of a soft spot in my heart (or my head... not sure) for the Windham made rifles. Their story, and the recent collaboration with POF, is one of pride, honor and belief in the American worker.

Cheers,
C
Old July 28, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
bedlamite

Quote:
There are seveal others that are pretty good including Windham. Bushmaster and Sig make good guns and there is always Colt.

Bushmaster isn't what they used to be since Cerberus closed them. Windham is what Bushmaster used to be.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...actory-closed/
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopn...R-15%20Carbine

Left handed shouldn't be your first concern, which eye is dominant?
Old July 29, 2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Quentin2

Quote:
...Basically I am looking for the best entry level AR that will be usable for HD SHTF and hunting appropriately sized game.

Regards, Vermonter
Best quality low end AR: I'd recommend PSA because they give you so much for the money. I do have to say I don't own one myself but have handled them and have seen many reports from others I trust. The S&W M&P Sport seems to be a lot of rifle for the money as well.

Myself, I have BCM and Daniel Defense and can highly recommend paying a little more for their high quality. I also have an ArmaLite (my first AR) that is pretty good, probably a notch above Bushmaster, but PSA would be a better choice for a sub 1K AR.
Old July 29, 2012, 01:48 AM   #11
Palmetto-Pride

I have one Smith and three PSAs the only thing better about the Smith is it says "Smith & Wesson" on the side of it...........
Old July 29, 2012, 11:54 AM   #12
gunfighter48

I have a S&W 15 Sport and love it. It doesn't have a forward assist or dust cover but for me that wasn't an issue. I never used them on my last AR and at 64 I won't be going into combat or crawling around in the mud and dirt! As far a accuracy it has a 16" barrel with 5R rifling which makes it very accurate. I got mine at a LGS for $619.00 last Aug. They are hard to find now because of their excellent reputation with the owners. Here are a couple of my targets. I'm not the greatest shot anymore, but if I do my part the Sport is very accurate with factory ammo. The 100 yard target is 3 shot groups and the red bullseye is 1.5" in diameter.

Old July 29, 2012, 07:14 PM   #13
Vermonter

M&P 15 Sport

Gunfighter,
Are you supported or off hand on these targets? Also what was the optic used. This would fit my definition of accurate for my purposes.

Regards, Vermonter
Old July 29, 2012, 07:22 PM   #14
oneshot onekill

Spikes Tactical... Period

(But I hear they're having a hard time keeping them in stock.)
Old July 29, 2012, 09:58 PM   #15
ms6852

Smith and wesson would be my choice good reliable weapons for the money. They do away with a lot of the useless tacti-cool stuff so you pay less. Go to walmart and buy what they have on sale. Most people do not realize that you can pay as much as 2000 dollars and the rifle is still shooting 1.5 moa which is average for the ar platform. So more money does not equal sub-moa groups.
But if accuracy is an issue for you I highly recommend RRA, they guarantee .75 MOA or better.
Old July 29, 2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Marquezj16

For a lefty AR check out stag arms.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:44 PM   #17
ahanson0812

I just bought a Del Ton Echo 316 with the Magpul goodies on it from the factory. $729.99 from my local dealer.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old July 30, 2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Bamashooter

Ahanson I have the same rifle with black furniture and for the price its a very good rifle. Mine shot moa without much effort the first time out. DTI is solid.
Old July 30, 2012, 01:22 PM   #19
chris in va

I also have a Sport. Great gun, works very well.
Old July 30, 2012, 02:04 PM   #20
G.I.DAVE

I just bought a rock river. I love it so far. I am very much looking forward to putting some toys on it!
Old July 30, 2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Fishbed77

Quote:
Best quality low end AR: I'd recommend PSA because they give you so much for the money.
There is nothing "low-end" about a PSA rifle.

They represent the same level of quality as ever other parts bin "mil-spec" AR (BCM, Spikes, Colt, DD) in my opinion, and the FN barrels are a real plus. In fact, the fit & finish of most of the PSA rifles I've seen are a good bit better than most Colts I've seen recently.

Note that the low prices of the PSA rifles were very much an introductory thing to get the name established. Lately the prices have been creeping up quite a bit closer to other rifles of the same quality.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Vermonter

So Far

What I am reading so far is the following stop me if I'm incorrect......

Basically any name brand AR in my price range should suffice. Most of you have your preferences which is to be expected. What I haven't read here is any stay away from brand X kind of talk.

That is a good feeling and reassuring to be sure.

What I have not seen here is anyone saying if $ is the issue buy a used colt etc. I am willing to spend the extra buck or two to get into a higher teir of quality but I suspect that may not be the case here.

Regards, Vermonter
Old July 30, 2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Quentin2

Quote:
Best quality low end AR: I'd recommend PSA because they give you so much for the money. I do have to say I don't own one myself but have handled them and have seen many reports from others I trust...

Myself, I have BCM and Daniel Defense and can highly recommend paying a little more for their high quality. I also have an ArmaLite (my first AR) that is pretty good, probably a notch above Bushmaster, but PSA would be a better choice for a sub 1K AR.

Quote:
There is nothing "low-end" about a PSA rifle.

They represent the same level of quality as ever other parts bin "mil-spec" AR (BCM, Spikes, Colt, DD) in my opinion, and the FN barrels are a real plus. In fact, the fit & finish of most of the PSA rifles I've seen are a good bit better than most Colts I've seen recently.

Note that the low prices of the PSA rifles were very much an introductory thing to get the name established. Lately the prices have been creeping up quite a bit closer to other rifles of the same quality.
True, I did not mean low-end in any way, just best quality and components for the price. I highly recommend PSA and suspect most buyers who carefully compare components would choose PSA over a similarly priced Bushmaster, Del-Ton or DPMS.
Old July 30, 2012, 04:50 PM   #24
one4gatr

Quote:
What I have not seen here is anyone saying if $ is the issue buy a used colt etc. I am willing to spend the extra buck or two to get into a higher teir of quality but I suspect that may not be the case here.
Not sure your going to save a lot of money buying used. For that matter you may or may not get any extra goodies either. Its been my experience at least that if you shop around you can get a VERY nice NEW gun with warranty in the sub $800 range.

Good luck!

Mark
Old July 30, 2012, 07:52 PM   #25
Justice06RR

If you have the money to buy a top-end rifle (around $1k or so), look into the Colt or BCM AR's.

Otherwise, if you want to stay under $1k and spend the rest on ammo, the Smith&Wesson Sport or Palmetto State Armory should serve you just fine.