The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Surgical Precision

S&W Shield vs Kahr CW9 vs G26

I'm looking for a small 9 now instead of the thick framed G30/G29. I'm really leaning towards a slim 9. The caveat is the G26. Its smaller than the other two in overall height and roughly the same size in length but it's thicker though due to the double stack mags. I like being able to us larger Glock mags if needed. This will be strictly a carry gun. Please advise.

Thanks!
Old July 27, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2
9mm

Theres a video about this on youtube, the guys compare the slim line 9mms and subcompact 9mms.

I think its Glock 26, Shield, Kahr, LC9, Kel-Tec Taurus and one other I believe. The shield scored very high.
Old July 27, 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
ShipWreck

This is someone's pic that was posted on Glocktalk - Its 3 different M&P sizes - but the Glock 26 is about the same as the M&P compact:

And, I had a Kahr PM9 that I sold the first week I had my Shield... But, here are two comparison pics. The Shield is a little bigger, but not by much...

Old July 27, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
jfrey

As usual, Shipwreck gives good info. I had a CW9 and have shot the G26. As to those two, I traded the CW9 for a G19. The grip on the G26 is just too small for me and it is too wide. As to the Shield: I like mine so well I bought a second one. Right now, a Shield in 9mm is about as hard to find as an honest politician. I have seen a couple of 40's on shelves. The Shield is a great gun, light, carries well, and accurate. I have a Don Hume holster ordered for it from Gunnersalley so we'll see how it works. They don't actually make one specifically for the Shield but the one for the Sig 239 looks like it will fit. I'll let you know when I get it.
Old July 27, 2012, 09:13 PM   #5
plouffedaddy

I've got the Shield, CM9, and G26. Of the three, I carry the CM9 the most because it is pocketable but since you're talking CW9 (I wouldn't consider it a pocket gun) I'd take the Shield. It's a softer shooter and has better ergos IMO.

My Shield Review Video
Old July 27, 2012, 09:59 PM   #6
lostagain

I will admit to being a strong proponent of the Shield. I started with the CW9 and liked it. Recoil is reasonable because of the killer strong spring. It lacks a bit in finishing details in that mine came with machining burs and sharp edges. I actually sliced my fingers doing racking and clearing drills during training. My wife began to show interest in shooting but could not rack the slide due to the recoil spring. If she could not shoot it if needed it had to go.

Tried several compact guns which each would have been fine but shot the Glock 26 just a bit better. Wife liked it so we bought 2 . As she got more experience she realized she was having to reach a little further to the trigger on the G26 than she would like. She shot it well but she has smaller hands than I do. I still carry it and my only complaint which is minor is the more squared rear of the slide. On occasion it seems my shirt will set on it rather than slide around it like with the CW9. Other wise great gun and lighter recoil than the CW9. Longer range sessions are not a problem on the hand.

When the Shield came out the feature list was impressive and the recoil was noted as mild. We came across one in a LGS and bought it. Cleaned it and took it to the range and it shot great and the recoil is noticeably less than the G26. Recoil is definately mild and would recommend to anyone adverse to recoil. BTW my wife shot the Ruger LC9 and said she wanted nothing to do with it after a few mags. It hurt. Shield is nicely shaped with a nice trigger and sights.

So apart from a couple less rounds than the G26 the Shield is a ideal choice. If it had been around when I switched from the CW9 we would have two of those and been totally happy. Hopefully you will get a chance to shoot each. I know 3 people who shot this one and are actively looking for one now.
Old July 28, 2012, 01:59 AM   #7
9mm

Missing one eye there lol
Old July 28, 2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Surgical Precision

What did you guys pay for your Shield? Is $425 too high?
Old July 28, 2012, 09:43 AM   #9
ShipWreck

$395 for my first one. $449 for the 2nd one. I willingly paid more because I had been searching for 2.5 months for the second... Wasting time and gas. I'd still be looking if I hadn't done that
Old July 28, 2012, 10:13 AM   #10
jfrey

Paid $449.00 for the first one and $439.00 for the second one.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:20 AM   #11
lostagain

I'm thinking about $429. Same idea it was worth it to get one instead of waiting months for one a bit cheaper. Being a deal hunter that hurt a bit but happy to have it.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Dashunde

I have a G27 and a PM9 - I love the 27, but the PM9 makes the cut everytime I head out to work in jeans and a polo shirt.

The Shield is fine from what I can tell handling it - but I dont like manual safeties and if I go to the Shield's size I'd pick the PPS or the G27 instead.

The Kahrs are extremely good shooters with mild recoil and a excellent trigger.
I routinely put more rounds through my PM9 than all of my other centerfires combined. That makes becoming very quick and accurate with it easy and fun - remarkable for such a small pistol.
The PM9 has been around for 10+ years and the rest are still trying match it.
Its nearly identical sibling, the CM9, is a steal at ~$400.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:40 AM   #13
jfrey

To each his own. We all like something different.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:52 AM   #14
Dashunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I'm really leaning towards a slim 9. The caveat is the G26
Fwiw... The PPS is as close to a single stack Glock as you can get right now.
Old July 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Pukindog12

As far as the G26 I am not a fan. Not bashing the gun. They must be great guns for the numbers Glock sells. They just aren't for me.

The Shield is obviously a good platform for all the buzz it has created and the waiting line for them. And I admit I haven't shot or handled one but there is just something about it having a safety that concerns me. Who knows, I could very well change my mind if I played with one.

I purchased a Kel Tec PF9 to be my summer carry. To me it was a good gun. I went to find a 2nd one. Instead I purchased a Kahr CW9. I am glad I gave it a chance. I liked it so well I purchased another CW9 which came with 3 mags total (one is a 8 rounder). Now I have two CW9s and five mags between the two. These guns are simply great for me. I shoot them very accurately. Very mild recoil. I can get a full grip on the gun. It has a 3.6 inch barrel. No safety. A long but very smooth trigger pull. A little heavier than the PF9 but virtually the same size. Very reliable as I have had zero malfunctions from the two as of yet. I am totally happy and pleased with my CW9s.

If I ever handle\shoot a S&W Shield I think it would have to be gold plated to replace my CW9s.
Old July 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #16
ShipWreck

To me, the PPS grip just feels weird. Not sure why, but ergonomically, it feels wrong to me... I used to be a huge P99 fan, so I have tried to like the PPS
Old July 28, 2012, 04:10 PM   #17
plouffedaddy

Quote:
What did you guys pay for your Shield? Is $425 too high?
$370 OTD minus the $50 rebate but I got mine when they first came out---you're probably not going to find anything that low now that the word has gotten out about how great they are. $425 seems fair.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:07 PM   #18
jfrey

Here lately, with the exception of Carroll's gunshop in Wharton, everyone is asking MSRP and getting it. The Shields fly off the shelf as fast as they put them out.

As a comparison of the Shield, PPS and CW9: The trigger on the Shield is the best. The PPS trigger has a really strong striker spring which causes the trigger to stack before it releases. The trigger on the CW9 is smooth but very long and you keep waiting for it to go off long before it really does. My daughter-in-laws father carries a CW9 and after seeing and feeling my Shield today, he said he will definately trade as soon as he can find one.

Different strokes for different folks as they say, but there is a definate reason for the Shield's popularity right now.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:24 PM   #19
sliponby

People tend to flock to the newest wonder gun and make decisions after just fondling one. I have handled the Shield at my LGS and compared it, side by side, to a G26. We laid one on top of the other. The Shield is virtually the exact same size (and nearly weight) as the G26 with the exception of thickness.

I have a PM9 that I pocket carry and it sees most of my EDC time. I will more than likely purchase a Shield in the future but, I will not part with my PM9. I also have the G26 Gen 3 and it isn't going anywhere either.
Old July 29, 2012, 12:34 AM   #20
Dashunde

Can the Shield's safety or thumb lever be removed?
Old July 29, 2012, 02:56 PM   #21
jfrey

I guess if you removed the rear section of the sear housing, you coud pry it off but it would be difficult and you might risk damage to the housing in doing so. The safety is small and it you don't like it, just don't use it. Personally, I like the design of the safety and use it on my gun. The safety stops the rear movement of the trigger bar but doesn't block any other function of the gun. I'm used to the safeties on my 1911's and Hi-Power so it doesn't bother me.

I just had another thought too. The area in the frame where the sear block goes is made to allow for the safety. If you remove it, you might risk gettin the block in crooked or have it wobble in the frame. I realize it is held in place by a solid pin but there is always that possibility. Just a thought. I guess if it really bothered you that much there surely is some way to modify it.
Old July 29, 2012, 03:49 PM   #22
ShipWreck

I have been told that you tube may have some videos showing removal. Worse case - dremmil it off.