The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
gamekeeper

My lee turett doesnt turn every time

my lee turett doesn't turn every time, it sticks some time and doesn't turn to the next station, please help i am in trouble here.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 12, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Thanks for asking. Welcome to the forum.

Operate the lever smoothly and only at moderate speed. If you try to go too fast or not smoothly you will break the square ratchet (which is designed to fail before something more expensive breaks). NEVER force it.

Do a search on "Lee Turret Press" and you will find many threads, some of which address the problems that auto-indexing can have.

This may help some, too.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...urret+rotation

It SOUNDS as if you may have broken your square ratchet (though this is not for certain).

The ratchet works when the ram moves downward and the ratchet drags on the square indexing rod which forces the ratchet up against the inside upper face of the indexing arm. When the twist of the rod goes through the arm the rod (and the turret) are forced to turn.

There is a nut at the top of the indexing arm. The nut is what actually turns the turret. If the nut is loose, the turret may not turn and will certainly be out of index.

Tell us more about what is happening (for example, does the turret turn OK by hand if moving it counter-clockwise or without the indexing rod in place?). Or call Lee on the phone and they can walk you through diagnosis.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 12, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
lamarw

I quit using the auto-indexing feature years ago on both my Lee turret presses. I enjoy and am happier with just manually rotating the press. The press works perfectly fine by removing the index rod and the little plastic square donut.

I have talked to others who do the same. I got tired of replacing the plastic donut which would get out of shape after a couple of thousand rounds.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
tkglazie

I had the same problem. It sounds like you have partially broken the square ratchet as Lost Sheep mentioned. I broke mine when I was moving the press one day. If you baby it, you can probably get it to work most times but other times it will slip.

You should have a 2nd one somewhere unless you lost it (they ship with 2). Lee will send you a couple if you call or email them. If you do have to have one sent, you can get by easily by using a combo of auto-indexing (when it works) and manual turning as needed. Again, as Lost Sheep mentioned, you wont damage the unit by using it as is. Its a 50 cent part.

If/when you do get some replacements, its a good idea to tape a few extras to the press somewhere. They are pretty tiny.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Mobuck

I run a LEE 4 hole turret press as a .223 semiprogressive using prepped/primed cases. I've actually worn out the frames on two turret presses so far. They work OK if handled right and kept lubed around the turret. It's a requirement to keep spare plastic ratchet/follower parts unless you like downtime while awaiting shipment of replacements.
Smooth and steady is the only way to go with those outfits.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkglazie
Its a 50 cent part.

If/when you do get some replacements, its a good idea to tape a few extras to the press somewhere. They are pretty tiny.
50 cents from Lee, but you have to buy them in pairs, so it's a dollar for two from Lee Precision or Midway will sell you one for $2.29.

http://leeprecision.com/square-ratchet.html
https://fsreloading.com/lee-square-ratchet-tf3567.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...Square+Ratchet

I put my spare on the indexing rod up at the top, just below the turret. Out of sight, out of the way, yet ready in an trice if I need it.

There are some loaders who have years and thousands of rounds on their ratchets. Others break them fast. I don't really know why, but my best guess is rough handling or going too fast.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 12, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I run a LEE 4 hole turret press as a .223 semiprogressive using prepped/primed cases. I've actually worn out the frames on two turret presses so far. They work OK if handled right and kept lubed around the turret. It's a requirement to keep spare plastic ratchet/follower parts unless you like downtime while awaiting shipment of replacements.
Smooth and steady is the only way to go with those outfits.
Mobuck is offline Report Post
What part is the frame?

I know of the turret ring, the turret head ("puck" some call it) the base (the red part) the press linkage (the bottom part), the ram, the indexing rod and the indexing arm. Which part is the frame and how did it wear out?

Right now my best guess is the guide hole where the ram moves up and down?

Lost Sheep
Old August 13, 2012, 05:36 AM   #8
Mobuck

The RED part. By worn out, I mean the turret was loose and had noticeable vertical/lateral movement and the ram had lateral play of 1/32" or more. In addition, the studs that support the linkage would not stay tight even after being Loktited in place. Simply worn out.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:32 AM   #9
jaguarxk120

Why don't you try a different brand of press? Dillon makes a great progressive, so does Hornady.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
WallacePeterson

Try this first:

Notice that the way the square ratchet works is by moving up and down in the auto index clamp. As the ram goes up the ratchet sits in the bottom of the clamp and spins. When the ram goes back down friction lifts the ratchet up into a locked position so it turns the index rod on the way down.

If everything is nice a clean and a little bit worn the ratchet can just slip back down the index rod without locking and turning the rod.

I keep a stick of 50/50 bullet lube on my bench. If the ratchet starts slipping and not indexing the turret I just put a little of that lube on the rod just above the spiral. That gives enough friction to lift the ratchet up the way it's supposed to. I don't have to do it very often, but maybe once every couple of months.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
tkglazie

Quote:
I keep a stick of 50/50 bullet lube on my bench. If the ratchet starts slipping and not indexing the turret I just put a little of that lube on the rod just above the spiral. That gives enough friction to lift the ratchet up the way it's supposed to. I don't have to do it very often, but maybe once every couple of months.
Very interesting. Good tip, good explanation.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
The RED part. By worn out, I mean the turret was loose and had noticeable vertical/lateral movement and the ram had lateral play of 1/32" or more. In addition, the studs that support the linkage would not stay tight even after being Loktited in place. Simply worn out.
Thanks, Mobuck. I have a picture in my mind now.

You must have used the Deluxe model, which is aluminum and will wear quicker than the cast iron Classic model, whose ram is larger diameter.

I am surprized the studs got loose. They don't move normally, so should not enlarge the holes they are screwed into.

Lee (I hear) will refurbish or replace worn out equipment for half the new price. Have you found that to be true? Did their Customer Service take care of you?

Sorry to hear your presses wore out. I had higher hopes for my press, so whether yours was Deluxe (a tall body) or Classic (a flatter body and ram over an inch diameter) is of keen interest to me.

Lost Sheep