The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: What ar type rifle to buy???
S&W MP15 AR15 TYPE RIFLE? 8 40.00%
SIG M400 AR15 TYPE RIFLE? 7 35.00%
Other rifle if so what? must offer the same specs and build quilty or better 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
souledoutfreak

S&W MP15 VS SIG M400 or what???

I am looking to buy my first ar15 type rifle as with word gun ban being tossed it now on top of my gun wishlist.

I was set on getting a sig m400 as a friend has one and loves it but then I went on to buds guns and well got lost in ar15 world.. I know the spec of what I want but it like the 1911 they keep making some many it is hard to keep up

sig m400 asking price is $918 but you have to be logged into see the price
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/77441

s&w mp15 bud gun link asking price $978
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...P15+.223+Rifle

I have heard great things about the s&w mp15 rifle as well. I would like it to beable to shoot steel case ammo once in a while I not doing match range stuff with it just be able to hit what I aim at 100 yards I am happy.
I have the hard chromed barrel as it sounds to hold up better I want at least a 16 inch barrel not counting the flash hider. I live in the free state of ohio so no crazy gun laws but atf ones.

I just want a good rifle that well last a long long time and enjoy any help?
Old July 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Creeper

Both are highly respected makers. The most noticeable difference I can see is the rifling twist. 1:7 for the SIG, 1:9 for the S&W. The faster 1:7 twist allows for sufficient stabilization of the heaviest bullets.
The S&W 1:9 twist will allow sufficient stabilization of up to about a 69 grain bullet.
The advantages of heavy bullets are long range and some hunting applications. If you have no intention of shooting heavy bullets at 5-600 yards and beyond, then having the faster twist isn't advantageous.

Some have had accuracy issues with the 1:7 twist using lighter bullets... this is not a hard and fast problem, just some 50-55 grain bullets, in some barrels, over-stabilize to the point of coming apart, or demonstrating very poor accuracy.

For a general purpose gun, I'd personally go with the SIG and 1:7 barrel, but I handload, so I can pick and choose any bullet I feel like trying. For you... the S&W might be the better choice as it will shoot anything from very well to OK.

I know the above is not a definitive answer, but I don't really know your needs any more than what you've described. Wait... you'll get more answers to wade thru.

Cheers,
C
Old July 26, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Freakdaddy

I've never shot or handled a Sig so I can't comment on those but I do have a 15T from Smith when they first started getting into the AR field. It's been a great gun that hasn't missed a lick and is very accurate. Smith has really come a long way with their AR's and build quality in a very short time and I wouldn't have any reservations with picking up another one or recommending them. If it were me, I'd look at this model they just introduced. It has a lot of desirable features plus it comes with Magpuls "Art of the Tactile Carbine" DVDs Volume I and II. The lower is really cool with the flared magwell, integrated trigger guard and serrated front. Definitely worth a look. Here's Smiths link showing the specs and it also comes in FDE if that's your liking:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

For around the same price point as the one you listed, it has much more desirable features and would be the better option IMHO. Here's the link to Bud's but make sure you get the correct part number as they still offer the older version as well:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...on5.56+NATO+30

Also, look into Bravo Company, Colt, Daniel Defense as they make exceptional guns at around the same price point or a little more. Remember, not all AR's are created equal...They only look that way.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Marquezj16

I love my M&P15s. Both have been accurate with zero failures.

That said, I voted for the Sig.

I like the 1-7 twist more.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Brodady

I have not shot the sigs, but their fit and finish is very nice. Absolutely no receiver wobble on the "enhanced" model as there is a spring loaded device in the pistol grip area of the lower that puts tension between the two receivers, though I'm not sure if that transfers over to the standard model.

With that said, I have shot the M&P, about 150 rounds with zero hiccups, that really doesn't say much round count wise, (that was all I had time to feed it with as it was not mine)

I personally went with the sig due to their rep with the 550 series of rifles so that's my half a cent as I'm sure that's all it's worth
NRA youth member
Old July 26, 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
RT

I chose "other"
http://www.gtdist.com/SearchResults....M&Keyword=Colt
Old July 27, 2012, 04:05 AM   #7
jason41987

id go S&W... US made from a company with a deep history in the united states... and i buy US made when i can... but besides that, ive liked the M&P-15s.. i havent found from myself, or heard from others any complaints... i think if i was going to buy anything sig id get a sig 556
Old July 27, 2012, 07:03 AM   #8
jmr40

Both are good guns, I'd be content with either, but you are less than $100 from a Colt. I'm not sure I'd pay $400 or more difference, but wouldn't let $100 keep me from one. Granted, it may not really be any better, but I'm betting resale value down the road will more than make up for the small price difference today.

The actual differnce between the brands is small, it comes down to specs. and price. I went with a Palmetto State Armory recently for $750. I felt I got slightly better parts than Smith or Sig for less money. Of course, buying from a larger, well established company means a lot to some. It was a concern of mine, but the PSA has proven to be a darn good gun. I also own Stag and Rock River. I have no complaints with any of mine, nor do I think I would with S&W or Sig.