The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1
bryanj0077

Safe to Carry Ruger LCP .380 Loaded?

Just bought a Ruger LCP .380 for a CCW... My father taught me gun safety when I was 4 years old, and was the only kid in elementary school who could field strip an assault rifle... Not bragging, just saying I'm not an idiot when it comes to fire arms safety... However, has anyone ever had any accidents or opinions on whether or not I should carry with 1 in the chamber with this pistol in particular? Thanks for the input!
-Bryan
Old July 26, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Leejack

Whatever you carry should be ready.

Yes.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Pbearperry

I feel anyone who carries a semi auto pistol and has problems with the round in the chamber should never made that gun his choice.Get a revolver and feel more secure.Autos are not for everyone.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

Convince yourself,,,

Try racking that slide when you are in a hurry,,,
That should convince you that "one in the pipe" is the way to go.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 26, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Grant D

I always have mine in my back pocket in a Galco pocket holster,and always one in the chamber.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Hansam

My wife used to carry an LCP with one in the chamber and a full mag.

Now she doesn't. Instead she carries a compact 1911 with one in the chamber and a full mag.

If you're carrying a gun on your for self defense you want to carry a gun loaded and ready right? Well without having one in the chamber you're neither loaded or ready.

If you're going to carry a gun do so with a full mag and one in the chamber.

Unless you're a highly trained Isreali soldier carrying an autoloader with an empty chamber is rather foolish.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
MonsterB

Whatever gun you carry should 100% of the time have one in the chamber. Manual safety or not. You should be able to answer this question your self if you are carrying a concealed handgun. I would carry that thing loaded for sure, the lcp is about useless if you need to rack the slide in a self defese situation. I had one, and its long gone, thankfully. That being said, any gun is better than none, and if the lcp is all you have, carry it loaded and get lots and lots and lots of practice.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:45 PM   #8
bryanj0077

Thanks for the input! I like the way the pistol shoots and feels, however, racking the slide is definately not the smoothest... Maybe because its a new gun and needs to be broken in more? I carry it now with 1 in the chamber because seconds count... Just wondering about any bad experiences with this pistol in particular... Thanks again everybody!
Old July 26, 2012, 04:49 PM   #9
MonsterB

Another suggestion, from someone who tried to like the lcp, if you want a small, light, very concealable gun, try an airweight S&W 38. Like the 37-2 I now carry in place of the lcp. I paid about the same as I did for the lcp, its much easier to shoot, has a more powerfull round, and is close to the same weight loaded. I feel much more secure with a j frame on me than an LCP. Thats just me, but Im someone who actually shoots thier guns and does not consider standing at the range, taking my time, staging the trigger, realistic practice. The lcp is a very hard gun to rack and shoot under stress accurately. Carrying it without one in the chamber, you might as well have nothing at all. I put about 600 rounds through mine and it didnt get any easier to shoot or load.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

It has a long, heavy trigger pull. While Ruger doesn't suggest it, the gun was made with a long heavy trigger so that it was safe to carry with a round in the chamber. With that said, the LCP should always be carried in a holster that covers the trigger.

If you carry it in a holster made for it, you won't have any issues. If you aren't comfortable carrying it with one in the chamber, sell it and buy a revolver or a gun with a safety. Carrying a gun without a round in the chamber is a bad idea.

In my opinion, if you pull a gun, you better be ready to use it if you have to. A gun without a round in the chamber isn't ready if you do need it.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:51 PM   #11
JH

The LCP has a long, reasonably heavy trigger pull. If you use a good quality pocket holster that covers the trigger you should be fine.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Johnnymurad

A good holster is key for safely carrying a loaded gun. If the weapon is secure and the trigger is covered you have nothing to worry about.
Old July 26, 2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I carry it now with 1 in the chamber because seconds count... Just wondering about any bad experiences with this pistol in particular... Thanks again everybody!
Quote:
The LCP has a long, reasonably heavy trigger pull. If you use a good quality pocket holster that covers the trigger you should be fine.
THE most important advise with any pocket pistol!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 27, 2012, 10:01 AM   #14
bryanj0077

Thanks everyone! Excellent input and advice! Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my questions...
-Bryan
Old July 27, 2012, 10:18 AM   #15
KMAX

Never, ever

Never, ever, ever carry a gun in your pocket with one in the chamber IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT IN A HOLSTER.

A friend was carrying a 38Sp revolver in his pocket and somehow it went off in his pocket. It was not in a holster. I am not sure how it happened. It had an exposed hammer, so there are different possible scenarios. The thing is if it had been properly holstered this would not have happened. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I carry my LCP in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster that covers the trigger. The gun stays securely in the holster when carrying, but draws out smoothly. Keep the trigger covered. Also as I am sure others have said the LCP has a long trigger pull which helps make it safe. Without one in the chamber you are not ready if a situation arises. Sometimes I carry my LCP inside the waistband in a holster that holds it securely and covers the trigger.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 27, 2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Pianoguy

Isn't there something about these small 380s not having firing pin safeties? I thought I read somewhere that Ruger suggests that you not carry the LCP with one in the chamber becasue of this. I know the IO Hellcat (basically the same thing) has that in the manual because of the lack of any firing pin safety. Absolutly defeats the whole purpose of having one of these guns but if there is no safety and a good jarring will fire the gun, the manufacturers need to put it in writing to cover their butts. If this is the case, the longer trigger pull (and the proper holster) does help prevent an accidental discharge if it snags or you grab it wrong but really isn't the point.

I've seen the same disclaimers on revolvers for the same reason and not just with SAA 1873's etc.

And yes If I had one, manual or not, I'd have one in the chamber - racking the slide, disengaging manual safeties and all that stuff that keeps the gun safe defeats the whole purpose of having the gun for self defense when you really need it.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:22 PM   #17
dgludwig

As others have said, carrying the LCP with a round in the chamber, in a holster that covers the trigger, is not only as safe as carrying a typical da revolver but it is the only sensible way to carry it if you have it on you for self-defense purposes.
Old July 27, 2012, 03:18 PM   #18
plouffedaddy

I'd say it's safER to carry with one in the chamber (provided you have it in a holster). If not, you won't be able to respond to a threat as quickly as you may need should that need arise.
Old July 27, 2012, 08:29 PM   #19
jfrey

I do.
Old July 27, 2012, 08:36 PM   #20
afone1

I agree with MonsterB on the S&W J-frame. Best concealed gun to carry. No jams, no worries. Goes bang every time.
Old July 28, 2012, 12:26 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Isn't there something about these small 380s not having firing pin safeties? I thought I read somewhere that Ruger suggests that you not carry the LCP with one in the chamber becasue of this. I know the IO Hellcat (basically the same thing) has that in the manual because of the lack of any firing pin safety.
Many companies have some sort of lawyer speak on not loading the chamber until you are ready to fire. Mostly just some CYA from their legal department in today's litigation crazy world. Good holster, safe practices (keep the booger hook off the boom swith!!!), and there is no problem.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 8, 2012, 02:33 PM   #22
Joe Burkel

loaded LCP .380

Bryan, You got me beat by 3 years, I was 7 years old when Dad taught me how to strip the 03 Springfield. as far as the Ruger LCP with a loaded chamber, I have been carrying my LCP in a side pocket with one in the chamber and four in the magazine...less weight to pull the shorts down around my ankles. If you need more than 5 rounds, you need to practice hitting a 1 inch bulls eye.

"The country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when a baby gets hold of a hammer" Will Rogers 1879-1935

P.S. I carry in a DeSantis holster in pocket with the LCP

Last edited by Joe Burkel; August 8, 2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old August 8, 2012, 03:17 PM   #23
Mello2u

Quote:
bryanj0077

Safe to Carry Ruger LCP .380 Loaded?
I have never handled a Ruger LCP. I assume that it will not fire unless the trigger is pulled.

That being the case, the real consideration is whether you carry it in a holster which covers the trigger or simply place it in a pocket and grab it when needed. If you do the latter then there is the potential for a hasty grab to place a finger on the trigger . . . . which may result in an unwanted discharge.

Assuming you are carrying a concealed weapon for defense, then when you need to use it you are likely reacting to an imminent threat to your life; you are playing "catch-up", you are out of time. Do you want to carry your handgun in a condition which requires you to spend precious time getting it ready to do what it is designed to do when time is critical?
" Frederic Bastiat
Old August 8, 2012, 03:30 PM   #24
Dashunde

I've carried mine in a proper iwb or cargo pocket holster for 2+ years - nary a problem, not even a close call.
The LCP has a great trigger for CC - long and stiff enough to be safe, smooth and linear enough to be a decent shooter with a wee bit of practice.

Just be careful when cleaning the lint bunnies out, unload it and pull the slide once in awhile.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:45 PM   #25
warningshot

Why carry an auto with a loaded chamber?

What makes you think you will always have both hands operational when you go for your piece? Oh that's right. The BGs always give you a one-two-three-go.