The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 25, 2012, 03:11 PM   #26
aarondhgraham

Just to play devil's advocate,,,

Quote:
There is no water in the metal for the alcohol to interact with.
It will however dissolve any oil from the metal.

In fact a cold blue product I purchased specifically said,,,
Use rubbing alcohol to remove any surface oil before using their product.

I would think after you wiped it with alcohol,,,
One would need to re-oil the surface.

Just saying,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 25, 2012, 03:52 PM   #27
Sparks1957

Absolutely... Aarond is right about the isopropyl dissolving oils.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:02 PM   #28
CowboyinIL

Thanks, that's great news! Sets my mind at ease using the isopropyl alcohol especially coming from people in the who are chemists, those that have used bluing products and the products instructions, and how it (isopropyl alcohol) will remove all oil (which a few of you have mentioned). Very relieved.

Do you guys then suggest 1. Cleaning with the isopropyl alcohol 2. Put Remington Oil on the area cleaned 3. Using a silicone cloth to add another layer of protection and shine.

Really appreciate your views guys. Really a relief to hear.

Think of the solution, not the problem.

Last edited by CowboyinIL; July 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #29
Sparks1957

Glad to be of help. Don't believe everything you hear. There is a lot of nonsense on the Internet and on the street; learn to be skeptical.

When it comes to firearms, the folks here have a wealth of knowledge.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:58 PM   #30
berettaprofessor

Cowboy, I understand the need to wipe them down and clean them after many have handled them....but disinfect them?

Do you disinfect change from buying a Big Mac at MacDonald's? Doorknobs on restrooms you visit? Library books?

All three, I'd wager, will be as bad or worse than your guns in terms of bacterial contamination.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #31
CowboyinIL

Quote:
Glad to be of help. Don't believe everything you hear. There is a lot of nonsense on the Internet and on the street; learn to be skeptical.
You're right about the web. I'm an extremely skeptical person to put it mildly. My motto is "Prove All Things". So when I said that about the alcohol and the metal structure, I had done a lot of research (must have incorrectly remembered or misapplied the info to metal. Like I think alcohol would dry out wood) with respect to the cleaning of computers and pc components in regard to isopropyl alcohol as I work in IT and needed to find a safe way to clean sensitive computer and technology components.

Irregardless, thanks Sparks for setting me strait on metal and gun metal in particular.

Quote:
When it comes to firearms, the folks here have a wealth of knowledge.
There sure is, that is why I'm here in this community. To help and to learn.

Old July 25, 2012, 06:10 PM   #32
CowboyinIL

Quote:
Do you disinfect change from buying a Big Mac at MacDonald's? Doorknobs on restrooms you visit? Library books?

All three, I'd wager, will be as bad or worse than your guns in terms of bacterial contamination.

Don't forget gas pump handles, dollars from strippers or for that matter, how prisoners eat money and then extricate it (use your imagination there) etc..etc..etc. My mind works overtime following logical conclusions to where things have been and what they touched...lol.

Anyway, nope...I wash my hands or use logic...ie.. using a paper towel for restroom door handles...anyway, let's not get started on all that. I just wanted to clean my firearms and be sanitary. And yes, I know some germs are good and they help to build up body immunities. Guess I just like things clean when I have the option.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by CowboyinIL; July 25, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old July 27, 2012, 06:06 PM   #33
Boatme98

Wow, I'm almost a germophobe (mostly hotel rooms after you guys have been in 'em ) but this is a new height. I'd worry more about the handles on shopping carts a Wally World!
Old July 27, 2012, 06:13 PM   #34
jhenry

I only let drunks shoot my guns so that there is alcohol already on them. No germ worries that way

I would think any normal cleaning products would kill any common pathogen.
Old July 29, 2012, 10:57 AM   #35
redmond

70% Isopropyl alcohol is one of the better disinfectants, but needs to be allowed to dry on the surface, not just wiped back off. Takes a little time to kill the beasties. Alcohol wipes work well.

Not sure I worry much about bugs on firearms. The most contaminated thing in the house, outside the bathroom, is probably a computer keyboard...
Old July 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #36
Webleymkv

Good old fashioned bleach kills almost everything, but I don't know what it might do to the finish of a firearm.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:34 AM   #37
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Let's lay off the condescending remarks. The OP asked a question he honestly didn't know the answer to and that's why TFL exists.

As Rule #3 states: 3. No spamming, trolling, flaming, invective or other personal attacks, be they acrimonious or veiled in humor. If you take issue with a Member's position, by all means speak your mind. If you have a problem with a Member's religion, national origin, sex, politics, associations, or personal hygiene, then take it to email.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 30, 2012, 04:29 PM   #38
Axelwik

There are trillions of bacteria that live on and inside the human body... without them you would become very ill.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/10/65252
Old July 30, 2012, 04:33 PM   #39
checkmyswag

Sunlight?

Watch your lane.
Old July 31, 2012, 02:45 AM   #40
edfrompa

My main concern about my firearm is rust, not germs. So I clean it with hoppes and oil it down after every use. I use rubber gloves in the process so the chemicals do not get absorbed in my skin. Then when I am done I disinfect my hands with a good hand sanitizer.
Old July 31, 2012, 05:51 PM   #41
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Guess I just like things clean when I have the option.
Yeah, same here. I left one of my .22s dirty after a range session for several days until it bugged me so much I swore to a friend that I was going to clean it as soon as I got home from work. He told me, that was him as well.
How some of these guys get several or dozens of range visits between cleanings is beyond me-I just have to clean after every visit.
Old July 31, 2012, 08:25 PM   #42
ltc444

Super tropical bleach was the standard decontamination solution for use on Military weapons. Depending on the agent/vector it had varying contact times. If memory serves It was 15 minutes for hardened anthrax spoors. Commercial finishes might not with stand the corrosive nature STB or caustic soda.

Agents like the Aids virus are very delicate and do not survive long when exposed to sunlight and air. UV light also is a good decontaminate for most human pathogens.

Alcohol is not effective on several human pathogens, some Bacteria is not affected by it at all.

I would recommend a combination of a good cleaning with a hospital grade sanitizer followed with an exposure to UV Light.
Old January 21, 2013, 02:49 AM   #43
ka26

What do you guys think about those Lysol disinfectant wipes on a Glock? I'm almost certain it wouldn't cause any problems but I just want to make sure before suggesting someone wipe down their $500 gun with them.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:44 AM   #44
Ben Towe

Ka26, I've yet to find anything that will hurt a Glock finish. I'm pretty you could throw one in the ocean for a month without significant damage. I see no reason why a Lysol wipe would hurt a thing.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:28 AM   #45
rickyrick

Haha.

I still have coyote blood on my rifle.

But I don't think any household disinfectant will harm a quality polymer. I would just use alcohol wipes...if I were concerned about such things.
Old January 21, 2013, 07:24 AM   #46
BoogieMan

I am a bit of a mysophobic also. At least when it comes down to human germs. I would eat after my dog before I would eat after another person. I dont think germs on my firearms has ever been an issue. But stuff like restroom door handles makes me cringe. Always wash hands, dry with towel and use towel to open door before tossing it. Cant stand touching menus and that kind of stuff.
Wipe them down with alcohol. The only thing that it could hurt shinny finishes on wood or if there is a painted surface on the gun. Both of which are rare.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:37 AM   #47
UtopiaTexasG19

In the Western movies with cattle drives I don't recall any of the cowboys having sani-wipes in their packs!
Old January 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #48
BoogieMan

Quote:
In the Western movies with cattle drives I don't recall any of the cowboys having sani-wipes in their packs!
Thats why they all died by 30y/o
Old January 21, 2013, 09:51 AM   #49
rickyrick

What don't kill you makes you stronger
Old January 21, 2013, 10:53 AM   #50
UtopiaTexasG19

"Thats why they all died by 30y/o"

No, I believe it was frequenting the saloons and call girls after pay day!