The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 23, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
jmw5786

Armi Jager???

I have a .357 Dakota magnum that i got from my Dad when he passed, and lately the thing has been having a horrible "Binding" issue (if that's how you put it) problem is its made by the manufacturer "Armi Jager" and cannot find any info on them. I'm assuming its a euro manufacturer that's not around anymore. Anyways its a beautiful revolver and would love to get it up and firing, any info would be appreciated. thank you very much! oh ans I also already contacted my local gunsmith but he didn't really have an answer for me either.
Old July 23, 2012, 03:56 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Does it look like this gun?,,,

Does it look like this gun?

First thing I would do is disassemble it and clean the heck out of it.

It might just be all crudded up.

In any case, it's a simple SAA clone,,,
Any decent gunsmith should be able to troubleshoot it.

Parts might be a problem though.

Good luck,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 23, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
jmw5786

yes!

yes it does look very similar. the only difference mine has the blueish swirl around the cylinder. dissembling it made me a a little nervous because Ive never broke down a revolver so don't know what to expect. the problem is there's only 1 gunsmith and hes about 40 miles away. the gun itself is alright to shoot, the reason i want it fixed is more sentimental value then anything. i appreciate the advice. I'm going to attempt to break it down clean it and see what happens. if not then i guess im gonna have to mail it to a gunsmith. thanks again
Old July 27, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
sackpeterson

It’s an Italian SAA clone, imported by EMF 1975 - 1990.

Mechanically it’s identical to a Colt Single Action Army. However, parts will not interchange with the Colt as Jager did their screws in metric and played around with the dimensions a bit.

Any gunsmith who can fix a Colt Peacemaker should be able to fix this, provided they don’t have to acquire any parts. Jager Dakota parts are a bit scarce these days.

If the gun is now binding, whereas it was not before, I’d check to see that the basepin is properly inserted. The Jagers had a goofy basepin safety during the years that EMF was importing them. If this is the case, nothing is actually broken… somethings just sitting a little kitty wampus.