The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Anyone Loaded This For The 300 Blackout?

The two commercial loads I have used in my 300 Blackout and the Hornady V-Max Re-loads I have put together all use the very pointed bullet with the meplat and ogive as the bullet in the left of the picture. These really come to a radical point.Has anyone tried to re-load a .308 diameter for the Blackout with the shape of the bullet on the right? I am wondering if the more rounded shape would make for more expansion on a target at closer ranges.
Thanks...
Old July 19, 2012, 10:42 AM   #2
oldpapps

The 'stubby' bullets will most likely get hung up as it tries to chamber in an AR and perhaps some bolt guns as well. If single fed, there is no reason they wouldn't work well.
But, doesn't that negate a lot of the usefulness of the AR platform?

I don't have/want a SBR or suppressor, so I only loaded 15 rounds of 220gr round nose to verify that they would run. They expanded very well at 1000 to 1050 FPS. But, they weren't as flat pointed as the bullet you have pictured.

I run 110gr VMax and 147gr GI FMJ and they cycle like butter.

Be safe and enjoy,

OSOK
Old July 19, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
UtopiaTexasG19

I was just curious and wanted to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. The bullet pictured on the right is a 150 grain .308 I have used for years in my 30-30 Winchester and is designed for a tubular magazine. You are correct in that this shape most probably will not chamber properly in a semi automatic so I will shelf the experiment and use the time to re-load the bullets recommended for the 300 platform. Thanks...
Old July 19, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
math teacher

I just read on Savage's web site that they have dropped their project to build a 300 Blackout. They could not get satisfactory accuracy at sub-sonic velocities which they felt was the main purpose for the cartridge in the first place. With lighter bullets at hypersonic velocity, accuracy was fine. What is your experience?
Old July 19, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
rsilvers

Savage announced their rifle with 1/10 twist and a 20 inch barrel. Those specs are not compatible with most subsonic ammunition.
Old July 19, 2012, 01:24 PM   #6
UtopiaTexasG19

I try to re-load and test one step at a time and I have not gone subsonic yet. I have re-loaded the 300 Blackout in 110gr, 115 gr and then skipped to 149 gr. bullets and so far I am getting 1 MOA with all my loads which is outstanding for me. Unfortunetly I am the limiting factor with all my rifles. I have a slight palsy and sometimes a scope bounces all over the target. At that point I have to back off, take a rest, and then try again. I am actually shocked at the accuracy of this build at 100 yards even with a Eotech 512. Simply a great and fun caliber so far and now that remanufactured .223casings are being sold at reasonable prices (12.5 each)even better!
Old July 19, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
oldpapps

UtopiaTexasG19,

If you have some of the photoed bullets, load up some and see if the will feed in self-load mode. They could work and being designed for 30-30 velocities, are prime for the 300 BlackOut.

When/if the weather breaks, I will be trying some '150gr BTSP Interlock' bullets. They look to be not quite as stubby and I'm thinking they will feed well. I throw my 147gr FMC at a pleasant 1980fps, not taxing anything, and would like a nice 150gr soft point load.

Keep everyone up to date with what you develop.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old July 20, 2012, 08:59 AM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

I posted my question (above) on some other forums and one fellow wrote in and said Missouri Bullets is selling the bullets pictured below for the 300 Blackout. Has anyone tried these out yet? They are a whopping 245 grain which is well above the charts for the Hodgdon powder I've used so far. Anyone have a guess as to how much H110 to use with a 245 grain bullet?
These look huge and might double as fishing weights!
Old July 24, 2012, 10:44 AM   #9
UtopiaTexasG19

No need for any additional help. I started re-loading last night and tested this morning. Found the perfect combination for my particular gun with the cast 245 grain 300 Blackout round with correct OAL at subsonic speeds where everything cycled just great. Pictured below a .223 reload at 65 grains next to the 245 grain Blackout loads. A happy camper here!