The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 21, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
TITAN308

[LLARMS News] Introducing the Dreadnaught

Sent out a few minutes ago via our distribution list of followers who have signed up.

Quote:
LLARMS Update #6 - The community has spoken and the official name is in!

Dear Community,

Are you ready?

A few weeks ago we solicited suggestions from the community for an official name for PROJECT TITAN. We tossed out 10 names to be voted on and the community spoke loud and clear on their
choice. The winning selection not only won, but won by a landslide taking nearly 50% of the entire votes.

With that said we are proud to introduce the official product designation: The DREADNAUGHT!

Now I know its not live footage, but we have placed a small 3D Model demonstration up on our YouTube channel with a few old and a few new bits of information.

Head over to the video here: Introducing the Dreadnaught!

In the coming weeks we will also be discussing some other key points and shedding some light on upgrade options for the DREADNAUGHT:

- Level 1 and Level 2 "O.D.I.N." Cooling System

- Angled Blast Vents or "ABV" offered in 35, 45, and 50 degrees

- Finish Options

- Right Hand Side Charging Handle Conversion

- Product Packages (and estimated cost)

- New and Updated Website FAQs

- Public Release ETA

- Possible (no promises) Limited Edition Pre-Orders (extremely limited quantity)
If anyone is interested you can PM me your e-mail address to sign up for updates, or fill out the form under CONTACT on our website.
Old July 21, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
tahunua001

I've seen the pictures a few times during development and I'm just curious.

what is the purpose of preject dreadnaught? at first many thought it was just a prank to make fun of the mall ninjas who have to have everything tacticool but then it seemed to turn sour and people started commenting on what a travesty it is.

I am not judging and I really am genuinely curious as to the purpose for an AR with such a large handguard?
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 21, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
TITAN308

TTAG Article on our product we are developing.

A snip from the article posted by Mr. Leghorn:

Quote:
That, ladies and gentlemen, is an active cooling system built right into the chassis. For those of you who have never tried to get a 3 round group at over 100 yards in Texas the active cooling system cools the barrel much faster, meaning quicker and more accurate follow-up shots can be made. That takes the cool down period from “let’s go grab a coffee” to something much more reasonable.
I really hope you don't consider the handful of people who troll around on the internet putting our product down a good source of information or a means to judge anything by.

Internet + No Identity = D-Bag
Old July 21, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
tahunua001

interesting, just out of curiosity, what is the weight? that sounds like a really neat concept, I've seen the horrible half-assed job that red jacket did on a couple for sons of guns but your application seems a lot more sturdy, and doesn't completely ruin the appearance of the rifle.

I agree, anonymity can be a bad thing sometimes.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
TITAN308

The secondary purpose of the chassis is to act as a compensator. For that reason it is made out of steel.

Our in-house version is for a 27" barrel and weighs in right about 15lbs. Shorter versions will weigh less, and down the road we are contemplating an aluminum lighter version.

But aluminum cost a lot more to shape than steel.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
tahunua001

ahhh, I see, I kindof like the longer handguards, even without a cooling system a rifle length handguard(especially aluminum) on a carbine length upper really helps compensate. I think I might be interested in a 16 inch aluminum model. hope you get up and operational soon.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Ben Towe

I can see why it's called the Dreadnaught . It does have a battleship look to it. It's spelled dreadnought, though.
Old July 22, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
TITAN308

Dreadnaught is a very common and accepted alternative spelling of the original Dreadnought.

Just a few examples from Wiki:

Quote:
Edward Boscawen (1711–1761), Admiral in the Royal Navy, was given the nickname "Old Dreadnaught"

In film:

Dreadnaught (film), a Yuen Woo-Ping film from 1981
Star Dreadnaught, another name for a Super Star Destroyer ship in the Star Wars universe
Dreadnaught, war machine in the film Death Race

In games:

The Dreadnaught Factor is a videogame made by Activision for Atari
Dreadnaught, a player rank in the game Everquest 2
The Dreadnaught, the name of the Forerunner ship in Halo 2 and Halo 3
The Dreadnaught's Battlegear, the name of the Warrior's tier 3 armour set in World of Warcraft
Dreadnaught, a Royalguard level 4 technique used by Dante in the game Devil May Cry 4 by Capcom
The Procyon Dreadnaught, one of the Procyon Army's Ironclads used in Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon
Dreadnaught, a Super-Capital-class vessel in Homeworld: Cataclysm (2000)
Dreadnaught, a giant airship used by the Palamecian Empire in Final Fantasy II
Dreadnaught Leviathan, the flagship of the 8th Fleet of the Western Armada of the Archadian Empire in Final Fantasy XII,
"Assault of the Dreadnaught", the title of the final gummi ship level in Kingdom Hearts II
Dreadnaught, a battleship class in the game Freelancer
Dreadnaught is an epic hull given as a raid reward in the online multiplayer game Battle Pirates

In books:

Dreadnaught, the first book in Jack Campbells The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier series

In music:

Dreadnaught USA, an experimental rock band based in New Hampshire, USA
Dreadnaught, NL, a song by the Rotterdam based drum & bass/dubstep producer Icicle
Dreadnaught (band), a heavy metal band based in Melbourne, Australia
Dreadnaut, a heavy metal band based in Winnipeg
"Dreadnaught", a song by Swedish metal act Machinae Supremacy
Old July 22, 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
tahunua001

interesting that a dreadnaught acoustic guitar is not listed under music...

Last edited by tahunua001; July 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Ben Towe

Just funning you a bit TITAN308. Definitely a cool looking rifle though.
Old July 22, 2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

You make some pretty fancy videos, but why none that simply and clearly show the actual function and affect of your invention? You know, same gun, no device. 10 shots, how hot is the barrel, how long does it take to cool? Add the device, what differences are there?

I should think that the FIRST thing I'd want to show people would be how well this doo-dad works.

The rock music and rapidly changing footage doesn't make we want to buy it. I want to know how well it works.

Just saying'...
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 22, 2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Coach Z

I think it's awesome to see something transform from an idea into something real, and something cool that I want to boot. Keep up the good work!
Old July 23, 2012, 01:48 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
You make some pretty fancy videos, but why none that simply and clearly show the actual function and affect of your invention? You know, same gun, no device. 10 shots, how hot is the barrel, how long does it take to cool? Add the device, what differences are there?

I should think that the FIRST thing I'd want to show people would be how well this doo-dad works.

The rock music and rapidly changing footage doesn't make we want to buy it. I want to know how well it works.

Just saying'...
not that I want to highjack the thread but you pretty much described every promotional video for any gun that ruger has released in the last 5 years
Old July 23, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
TITAN308

tahunua001 pretty much hit the nail on the head, cept remove the word "Ruger" and "gun" for just about any product ever...

You'll get your actual performance footage soon enough. Until then, enjoy the ride. Anything you have to wait for is always better than what you can have right now.