The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 20, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1
ronl

New AR varmint build report

Put together a new AR just to hunt varmints. My aims were reasonable accuracy and as little weight as possible. Tht upper is a Delton flat top with a 20" preban contour barrel. The barrel is one of the chrome lined 1/9 ones, as they had no chrome moly ones available at the time of ordering. Flip up front sight/gas block from YHM. The barrel is tipped off with a a BWA X comp. Lower is one of the New Frontier Armory polymer units. Barrel is free floated with a standard tube. UTG high rings hold a Bushnell Elite 3x9x40SF scope. A UTG 3-9" bipod and a generic sling complete the rifle. The entire rig weighs in at 8lbs 14oz. The trigger pull on the NFA lower was surprisingly good, no creep and a decent let off at around 4-5lbs. I left it alone. After zeroing, I fired a 15/16" 3 shot group at 200yds. The accuracy was far better than I expected. I was expecting 1-1 1/2" at 100, which would have been good enough for what I am going to use it for. The X-comp performs very admirably, and makes it easy to keep the rifle on target for follow up shots. The Bushnell scope is very clear and works well with the rifle. Controls are nice and , for me, the side focus is a real bonus. I took it out in the field for the first time today and the rifle performed as expected. Two shots fired, two ground hogs retired at 120-150 yards. My initial aims were a relatively light weight rifle that would work well out to around 350 yds. This rifle build exceeded my expectations in every respect. I may have to retire my 700BDL .222. Thanks to Vernon Harrison for all his help in the project. The best thing about it all is that it cost a little less than $800 for everything.
Old July 20, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2
DnPRK

Sounds like your new rifle is a success.

What ammo did you use?
Old July 21, 2012, 12:55 AM   #3
TimW77

"The barrel is one of the chrome lined 1/9 ones, as they had no chrome moly ones available at the time of ordering."

Sounds like you, like most people here, don't have a clue what the difference is between "chrome lined" and "chrome moly"...

Can pretty well guarantee your "chrome lined" barrel is made of "chrome moly" steel...

T.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
ronl

I used my homemade ammo, 55gr hollowpoint Speers. In fact, I do indeed know the difference between chrome lined and chrome moly. I wanted the chrome moly unlined barrel because they have a distinct edge in accuracy over chrome lined barrels, simply because the process can leave minute "bumps" in the bore. This doesn't seem to be the case with my particular barrel. I failed to mention that the rifle has run flawlessly from the get go.

Last edited by ronl; July 21, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW77 View Post
"The barrel is one of the chrome lined 1/9 ones, as they had no chrome moly ones available at the time of ordering."

Sounds like you, like most people here, don't have a clue what the difference is between "chrome lined" and "chrome moly"...

Can pretty well guarantee your "chrome lined" barrel is made of "chrome moly" steel...

T.
You feel better? Trying to make others inferior always does that for me.... :/

OP-

Love seeing the budget builds. Good work.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old July 21, 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
one4gatr

How bout a pic or two?
Old July 23, 2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Mobuck

Why would you need a "flip up front sight" on a varmint rifle expecially if you're trying to keep the weight down?
Sorry, I just don't buy into the BUIS novelty.
Old July 23, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8
ronl

Just like to keep my options open. The sight didn't add that much to the weight. If the scope fails, I have a rifle with no sighting system. All I have to do is add the rear sight and I can still use the rifle.