The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
rebs

Bipod what brand and size ?

I am looking for a bipod for my AR 15. I mostly shoot from a bench or prone so what size bipod would work best for both positions and what brand do you guys recommend ? Also is a swivel mount necessary ?
Are the Caldwell's or Champion's any good ? I have read that Harris is supposed to be the best but they are pricy, are they truly that much better ?
Old July 18, 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Creeper

If you're on a budget and you still want a good bi-pod, look into the VersaPod... the #1 Classic or the model 50 series #s 51 & 52. I recall that you'll need at least 7" of leg to clear a 20 rd magazine from a bench. Kinda depends on the slope of the target range too.

Cheers,
C
Old July 18, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Arizona Smithshooter

I have been looking also. I found this one on Amazon...a Foregrip that converts to a bipod. Price is good...anyone tried one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/GDT-Tactical-M...tol+grip+bipod
Old July 18, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
brmfan

They aren't cheap but the Atlas is fantastic!
http://www.accu-shot.com/Atlas_Bipods.php
Old July 18, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Coach Z

Harris brand bipods have always been the go to in my mind. I've got one on my rem 700 and love it
Old July 19, 2012, 12:49 AM   #6
TimW77

Versa-Pod...

I prefer the Versa-Pod Bipods since they are so easy to move between different rifles.

Different leg lengths and types are available plus they have adapters for each rifle type I have.

T.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:13 AM   #7
rebs

I would like to find one for under 50.00

what size do you recommend for bench rest and prone shooting ?
Old July 19, 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

The Harris S-BRM 6-9in model is the most popular with bench rest and prone position shooters. By time you mount it with a pod loc it's $125. A low cost alternative is the Caldwell XLA. It's a import copy that is well made. I know several shooters with this model and they are holding up fine. Your budget well mount one of these and you can DIY a pod loc for $8. The Alpha-Bravo bipod lock is pretty cheap.

Atlas is by far the best available but at $300+ with a quality mount it's spendy.
Old July 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #9
rebs

Quote:
The Harris S-BRM 6-9in model is the most popular with bench rest and prone position shooters. By time you mount it with a pod loc it's $125. A low cost alternative is the Caldwell XLA. It's a import copy that is well made. I know several shooters with this model and they are holding up fine. Your budget well mount one of these and you can DIY a pod loc for $8. The Alpha-Bravo bipod lock is pretty cheap.
Thank you thats what I was looking for.
Old July 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Ridge_Runner_5

Versapods are expensive crap. I know a guy who broke his shooting from the bench.

I'd go with a Caldwell or Rock Mount knockoff of the Harris models.
Old July 19, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11
DeadCenter

I have a couple Harris fixed bipods, and they are good solid bipods, but when I was looking for something that pivots I ended up getting a Blackhawk TraverseTrack bipod. It not only pivots side to side but tranverses right and left and is a lot cheaper than the Harris pivot bipods. So far I am very impressed with it and have no complaints.