The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 12:24 PM   #26
Elmer

Me either...

Here's my 58 .44 mag.

Old October 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #27
steveno

at one time there was a person on the S & W forum website that had a fixed sight M-29 with a 3 inch barrel (may have been a little shorter or longer but no more than a 4 inch barrel). there was something like only 4 or 5 of them made by S & W. I think that if you searched deeply enough there is a picture of it.
Old October 29, 2012, 02:54 PM   #28
Elmer

I've seen that one. The "29-58". It's why you can never say never when it comes to Smiths.

And has been mentioned, there was the 629 fixed sight guns done in a couple special runs as well. I bought one of the Camfour 2" guns with the intention of customizing it, but they went up in value too much for me to do it.

S&W could sell fixed sight guns if they made the right ones, but it seems like they think the public isn't interested. Keeps Cylinder and Slide in the business of selling their Extreme Duty fixed sights, even to S&W.
Old October 29, 2012, 03:19 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Those supposed guns (I don't believe it's ever been confirmed that S&W actually made them) would not have been marked 58, however, unless someone really screwed up at the factory -- multiple times in a row. And sorry, given that factory mismarks are never in production strings (most of the mismarks are caught and remarked, with one getting out here and there) I simply don't buy it.

I stand by my assessment that yes, while you never can say never, you can also say that the odds of S&W actually having made any one of these reported guns is EXCEPTIONALLY slim.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:17 PM   #30
Elmer

Mike, the guns steveno and I referred to aren't mismarks. They are stamped 29, but were marked 29-58 on the box. And yes, they are very much confirmed to exist. One is owned by an extremely accomplished S&W collector and expert on N frames, known as Doc44 on the S&W forum. If you are an SWCA member you can see who that is. His bonafides are above reproach.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...ing-story.html

But you are correct, most of the strange guns you see are put together after leaving the factory. But there are also a number of exceedingly rare prototypes, special runs, one offs, and even factory gift guns that are out there. I own a couple of them myself.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:46 PM   #31
steveno

Doc44 probably knows more about "N" frames better than S & W themselves
Old October 29, 2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Elmer

There's no doubt of that.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, I didn't follow that we had switched over to discussing the few, but known, revolvers that were marked 29-58.

That's not what Mr. Gumm described, or at least he made no reference to it being marked 29-58, which is why I answered as I did.

As I said, numerous people over the years have claimed to have revolvers marked 58 that were specifically manufactured by S&W in .44 Mag., but without the 29- marking.

I've yet to see one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:12 AM   #34
Elmer

No, steveno and I were not talking about Mr. Gumm's gun. I agree with you in that I doubt he has what he thinks he has, which is why I responded as I did about it.