The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

What Is The Best Pocket Sized Auto .22lr?

I did a quick search and most of the threads on this subject were several years old. So, what's out there in a pocket auto .22lr that is reliable?

My sister and mom both have issues with hand strength when it comes to racking slides and will probably be fairly recoil sensitive to boot. I was thinking maybe a little .22 would be better than nothing if there is anything out there that is pretty reliable that doesn't have a 25 pound trigger.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:48 PM   #2
willmc33

Beretta Bobcat
Old July 14, 2012, 11:37 PM   #3
PointOneSeven

Another vote for bobcat 21a. That's really all there is on the gun shelves that is new production other than the Taurus bobcat knockoff.

The pocket 380's have kind of taken over the pocket pistol competition.
Old July 15, 2012, 03:27 AM   #4
warningshot

Do you want it to work properly?

Find a bigger pocket and buy a Ruger SR22.
Old July 15, 2012, 05:15 AM   #5
PSP

Find a Walther TPH. Great gun in a tiny package. It also comes in .25acp. Or if you can handle the recoil, get a .32acp Seecamp which fits in your pocket even easier than the TPH.
Old July 15, 2012, 06:54 AM   #6
kcub

I second PSP on both counts.

Here are my personal life experiences for you to consider.
I have carried a Seecamp .32 for 15 years in my back pocket. I don't like that it has no sites. I really like the heel clip magazine which has never come loose.

I've owned 3 TPH, one a blue German pre-Saturday night special law. It was 100% reliable with standard velocity .22LR. I owned one stainless American TPH in the 90s that was a jammamatic so I traded it off. 5 years ago I bought another used stainless American TPH that is 100% reliable with standard or high velocity .22, so I sold the German blue.

When I am in the country I always make the TPH my back pocket gun and have a handful of .22 ammo somewhere on me. It has good sites and can be used to plink or even take small game. If I were to get injured, I have enough ammo to use it to signal for help.
Old July 15, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Joe_Pike

Well, the TPH is out of the question due to the cost. $700-$800+ for the gun and nearly $100 for mags is out of reach for a .22lr for me at the moment.

You would think that there would be more mouse guns in .22lr available since I'm sure there are quite a few folks out there that are recoil sensitive. Plus, they would be inexpensive to practice with.
Old July 15, 2012, 03:35 PM   #8
richardcorey

I have NO experience with them but you might do TFL SEARCH for info on the Taurus PLY 22. Read several posts recently about them, and might be what you are looking for, pop-up barrel, 22LR, small size. Worth the look.
LISTEN!!!
Old July 15, 2012, 04:53 PM   #9
PetahW

I HAVE had experience with the Taurus .22 with the popup barrel - They are plenty blingy, but turn into crap after a few hundred rounds (misfeeds, FTF's, etc, etc).

Stay with the Beretta M21, with the original popup barrel, if there's slide-racking issues.

Old July 15, 2012, 05:54 PM   #10
rep1954

I have owned two Berreta 21's and found them to be much more finikey than my Taurus PLY22. In fact my Taurus has had at least 1200 rounds through it with no problems at all. You have to use good quality ammo in either gun and keep them clean. My Berretas use to have ejection troubles around 60 to 80 rounds and I will run 100 rounds through the Taurus and it still runs good, I do however clean it after every trip to the range. I shoot CCI Mini Mags in my PLY22 and use it only as a practice gun because it is a DAO trgger and I use it even more for dry fire practice at home. I Wouldn't try to carry the Beretta cocked and locked as the safties seem to difficult and small to opperate reliable enough for emergency situations. For small gun carry I favor DBL actions and no safety use. Both the Berreta and the Taurus can become difficult guns for weak people to use during a clear and rechamber by using the slides as they are both small to grab and cycle for some folks. I dont approve of 22LR for self defense use but for people that have problems and thats the way they want to go I would suggest a S&W Model 317 Lite Weight J Frame revolver.

Old July 15, 2012, 09:27 PM   #11
warningshot

Don't hold back, PetahW. Tell us what you really think. My money is on the Beretta M21 for a low cost .22 LR that should work.
Go get-um Taurus. ya. Right.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:55 PM   #12
PT-92

Quote:
Today, 03:27 AM #4
warningshot

Do you want it to work properly?
Find a bigger pocket and buy a Ruger SR22.
Yeah--That's kind of the point of why I bought a Bobcat 21A ...
Old July 15, 2012, 10:43 PM   #13
surfzombie

If you can find one. The S&W 2213 / 2214 are great little pocket pistols and the slide is very easy on the hands.
Old July 16, 2012, 06:54 AM   #14
skoro

What Is The Best Pocket Sized Auto .22lr?

The one I like best is the Beretta 21a Bobcat.
Old July 16, 2012, 07:47 AM   #15
aarondhgraham

Io both of the Taurus PLY pistols,,,

One in .22 LR and the other in .25 ACP.

Both pistols have been 100% reliable,,,
I use MiniMags in the .22 and can't remember a failure.

Also, I know I have well over 1,500 rounds through the .22-PLY,,,
I clean and re-oil it after every outing,,,
I traditionally shoot 100 rounds.

The older PT-22 (steel frame) was supposedly an iffy gun,,,
The Polymer 22-PLY has a much better reputation.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 16, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16
dahermit

Another consideration, Iver Johnson TP 22. I think that they are out of production buy may be had second hand.
I had one and it was 100% reliable.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old July 16, 2012, 12:10 PM   #17
PT-92

Quote:
PetahW

I HAVE had experience with the Taurus .22 with the popup barrel - They are plenty blingy, but turn into crap after a few hundred rounds (misfeeds, FTF's, etc, etc).
Any pics or the like that might shed light on what you're referring to? That would help. Pics of the barrel, feed ramp etc...Anything would help...?
Old July 16, 2012, 03:12 PM   #18
HisSoldier

Quote:
Find a Walther TPH. Great gun in a tiny package. It also comes in .25acp.
I'd love to find one at a reasonable price in .25 ACP, the only one I've ever seen was in GB at over $1K. Lots of .25 magazines around though!

My .22 LR TPH got called a jammomatic until I started using stingers, it works well with the stingers.

Quote:
Another consideration, Iver Johnson TP 22.
Pure junk, the slide is zinc alloy, or a better word, "Pot metal". It's unfair to call Zamak pot metal though because if you used it in pots they would melt!
I looked at another pot metal gun of similar quality yesterday, a Jimenez.

Used to be that most people knew about "Low temperature white metal" alloys, and prices averaged under $100 for them. Today's buyers are too ignorant to know when they are buying junk so all the big name gun companies are making 1911 looking .22's of the stuff and getting big money for them.

It's sickening to me to see them selling off their honor that took over 100 years to build up.
I have CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P-238's. Video on installation in Sig;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM
Old July 16, 2012, 04:25 PM   #19
PT-92

!Best Pot Metal .22lr!

Quote:
Pure junk, the slide is zinc alloy, or a better word, "Pot metal"...
Gentlemen & Ladies, I think unanimous consent exists to safely crown the Phoenix HP22A as the reighning 'World Champion" of all Pot Metal mouse-guns (dubious honor but I'm just sayin'). Indeed, hands -down if I may say so myself! Try one on for size NIB for $140 (or less) and try and call me a liar .

Old July 16, 2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Sulaco2

If you can't find an Iver Johnson TP22 you are missing out. Beretta 21 next best. +1 on the secamp .32 though.
Old July 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #21
Bill DeShivs

The Iver Johnson TP22 generally works well, until it stops working. They are zinc. Zinc wears and breaks.
Old July 17, 2012, 01:37 AM   #22
dsk

Consider a small .32ACP instead. My Kel-Tec doesn't have much recoil, and is a lot better than a .22LR. About the only issue would be the fact that, like all pocket-sized guns a novice may have difficulty controlling the sights and trigger and keeping the rounds on target.
Old July 17, 2012, 10:37 AM   #23
surfzombie

These little 2213/ 2214 are the way to go.
Old July 17, 2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Sulaco2

The Iver Johnson TP22 generally works well, until it stops working. They are zinc. Zinc wears and breaks.

Bill we talking about the same gun? Mine an't zinc and I have had it and been using it for almost 20 years with no real wear or break downs except a broken extractor over 10 years ago. That said avoid the .25's like a deathly disease!
Old July 17, 2012, 02:41 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

Yep-same gun. Designed by Erma in Germany. Put a magnet to the slide or frame. They worked very well-until something broke or wore out.