The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
biggun_

Glock 23 Problems already :/

Bought a Glock 23 .40 Gen4 in April and started having brass eject everywhere(including the face) and several jams. Always keep them clean. Found out the ejector is bent and read where lots of people are having this problem.

I haven't made contact with Glock yet and tried tonight too. From what I have read Glock is taking care of everyone that is having the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else is having any trouble? I'm sure it will be resolved. Just wonder why there's no recall?
Old July 11, 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Chuckusaret

You must be mistaken, Glocks are above any failures. I do believe that Glock had a recall because of ejector problems with the Gen 4. When they first hit the street. My neighbor had the same problem as you are experiencing and returned his gun to glock for the fix. I also suggest that you call Glock.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
kmaysob

its a glock thing, you wouldnt understand !
Old July 11, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4
jfrey

Many people with gen 3 and gen 4 G19's had this same problem. Many changed ejectors and extractors to cure the problem. The G23's and others have had the same problem. If you can find a local Glock armorer, he can order the parts and change them for you instead of having to ship the gun back and wait for it to return.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:55 PM   #5
Marred

I just got a Glock 19 Gen 3 that was ejecting all over the place. Gen 4 Glocks aren't on the CA. approved handgun list. The casings they test fired said they were fired in March 2012. I sent it back to Glock last Saturday, they paid shipping, and am anxiously awaiting its return. Hotter ammo seemed to help but still wasn't 100%, still ejected over my head and to the left. Oh yeah, no limp wristing going on here. Funny thing though, ejection problems lessened after 1000 rounds but still noted ejecting to the left, towards my head and also barely clearing the gun.

If anyone has gotten their Glock back fixed after erratic ejection issues I'd be curious to hear what Glock did.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Quentin2

Usually this kind of problem occurs in 9mm Gen 4s, the 40S&W not so much. My 23Gen4, bought over a year ago kicks brass out to the right as it should. I did get the new RSA mailed to me but didn't notice much change. I know I can send it in for the new ejector but why go to the hassle if I don't need it.

Since you're having problems I would get all the upgrades. If you can find a Glock armorer nearby he can install the parts instead of you sending the gun back to Glock.

I think all G23s made after November 2011 already have all the new parts so you might want to first check the birth date of yours.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:07 AM   #7
cocojo

I bought a 23 Glock 2 years ago and had malfunctions after about three hundred rounds. What was happening was the empty case would come out half way enough to pick up another round and tie the gun up with a double feed. I changed the extractor, rod spring and bearing, I still had issues. I now had 2500 rounds through the gun and it got worse. I bit the bullet and sent my gun into glock to the tune of $74.00 for shipping fed ex one way overnight, what a rip off. I just got the gun back from Glock the only thing they used from my original gun was the barrel and the slide. Everything else was changed including the frame and all slide parts. All the frame parts along with two new magazines and recoil spring. The trigger feels different a bit harder but the gun does work now, it feels different shooting it. Like it functions better. Got about 250 rounds now and haven't had an issue yet "knock on wood", so we shall see.
Old July 12, 2012, 01:06 PM   #8
gothcopter

I am by no means an expert, so take all of this with a grain of salt (or maybe two!).

I have a recently-manufactured Glock 19 Gen 3 that had occasional ejection problems. Maybe 1-2% of the time I'd either get brass to the face, over the head, or a stovepipe. Limp-wristing seemed to exacerbate the problem, but was by no means the cause of it.

There's about a bazillion threads all over the Internet dealing with erratic ejection on Glocks -- both Gen 3 and Gen 4, 9mm and .40cal. After reading a bunch of those, the most useful information I could find was that sometimes the slide cuts for the extractor are slightly out of spec. During ejection, the casing will be flipped sideways too low and it will impact the bottom rim of the ejection port. Here's a thread that discusses some of that:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92447

One notable symptom someone posted was a triangular scrape on the casing near the mouth. You can see a picture of that marking in this thread here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_13/12...r_source_.html

Glock designed new ejectors for both 9mm and .40cal to help correct this low ejection problem. Supposedly Gen 4 Glocks are now being manufactured with the new ejectors, but there are a lot of units out there in the wild with "bad" slides and the old ejectors.

My fired casings all had the exact same triangular scrape on them. As a $10 experiment, I ordered a Gen 4 trigger housing with the new ejector from GlockParts and used the ejector out of that in my Gen 3.

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=123022&CAT=748

I've only put about 350 rounds through it since replacing the ejector, but so far I've had zero stovepipes. I've checked my spent brass, and those little triangular scratches are no longer appearing. I won't consider it fixed until I've had at least 1000 rounds through it, but so far things look promising.

The earlier thread from AR15 stated that the new .40 ejectors weren't directly available to consumers, but that is no longer the case. Looks like GlockParts has them in stock:

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=123023&CAT=748

So in summary, best DIY advice I have heard is

1) Try replacing the ejector with the new model
2) Then try replacing the extractor
3) Then try replacing the gun

The advantage of sending it to Glock is that they figure out all that mess for you.
Old July 12, 2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Noreaster

I'm very sorry to hear about your G23 problem. I did experience, first hand, one of our G22s constantly having ejection problems with one guy on the firing line. We gave his gun to another guy and the second guy had 0 problems. I'm not saying your gun isn't broke, but I believe the new RSA are more sensitive to limp wrist and or your grip and to non duty ammo. Just a thought but maybe have someone else try it.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
AmericanWolverine

That can't be because Glocks are super duper uber reliable
Old July 13, 2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Constantine

I hate Gen 4's -___- my 19 is the only glock to ever give me problems. It's actually getting fixed right now...
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old July 13, 2012, 11:14 AM   #12
greyeyezz

Quote:
I hate Gen 4's -___- my 19 is the only glock to ever give me problems. It's actually getting fixed right now...

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Old July 13, 2012, 05:08 PM   #13
briang2ad

Quote:
I haven't made contact with Glock yet and tried tonight too. From what I have read Glock is taking care of everyone that is having the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else is having any trouble? I'm sure it will be resolved. Just wonder why there's no recall?
If you KNOW the problem is a BENT ejector - have Glock fix it. Enough.
Old July 13, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Constantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyeyezz View Post

Sorry I couldn't resist.
Applause lmao. I didn't know you could NOT customize a Gen4 like you could any other.

What happened was, it would literally NOT FIRE. Like dry fire, shoot, nothing. Then it would again. O.o weirdest crap ever lol. Anyways..fml

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old July 13, 2012, 08:34 PM   #15
biggun_

Thanks for all your help gentlemen. We'll get'er figured out. Totally stripped and cleaned the gun tonight so we shall see. As for Glock, they wanted me to send pics and didn't act like they wanted to help much. Oh well. This is my first and last Glock! I'm sticking with S&W M&P!
Again, the responses are appreciated!
Old July 13, 2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Constantine

I'm going to probably go all SIG from here on out...My 1911 xo comes in tomorrow! Can't wait lol...

Gotta give S&W M&P a try...this guy has one at competition, I really like it.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old July 14, 2012, 03:49 PM   #17
Marred

Still waiting for my Glock back from the factory. Until then I remembered removing the extractor a couple of times to see what the problem was and I noticed the Extractor Depressor Plunger Spring had backed off of the Plunger. Not all the way but not fully seated. It seems to me that if the spring was applying full tension to the extractor that it would of been fully seated. I didn't think nothing of it at the time but I've been reading that after market Extractor Depressor Plunger Springs have solved erratic ejection problems. Could this be a piece of the puzzle? Before I sent it back I changed the ejector from a 336 ejector to the 30274 ejector and this did lessen the problem alot but it wasn't 100%. That's why I sent it back.