The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 10, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Willie Sutton

1862 Pocket Navy V/S 1862 Pocket Police

OK, history fans.. why does anyone think that Colt had these two same caliber, same frame-size revolvers being produiced at the same time? Was there a price-point difference when they were new, was it a way to exploit two sets of tooling (older for the Navy, newer for the Police perhaps) to double up production, or ??

Same year of introduction, same caliber, same frame (?), same technology of using the rebated cylinder to increase caliber in a frame originally designed as a .31, but different BBL and loading lever.

Ditto as a question with the 1851 Navy and 1861 Navy: Both were produced at the same time until production of both ended. Why? Consumer preference? Was there a price point difference?

Seems the 19th century equal of having a Trooper Mk-III and a Python in the same lineup...

Pocket Police is one of the slickest Cap and Ball pistols ever, just a gem.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; July 10, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old July 11, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2
mykeal

Mr. Colt produced what he thought people wanted to buy. And apparently he was right because they bought them. Not a lot of rocket science here.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Back then, like today, many people did not like change. The 51 Navy had many fans and many wanted to retain the octagon barrel and pivoting loading lever when going to the pocket frame revolver...possibly

There was demand for both styles and both frame sizes.

Old July 12, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Marketing, marketing, marketing . . . i.e. "different strokes for different folks".

Personally, I think the '51 Navy was the best and nicest looking revolver Colt made . . . but, the next guy will say the '61 Navy was. I own both models . . both of them I like but if I had to choose, I'd take the "51 over anything else.

It's often been said that the '60 Army was the most attractive . . again . . personal preference.

I owned a Pocket Police and missed a chance to buy a Pocket Navy. Of the two, I'd take the Pocket Navy over the Pocket Police . . again, personal preference and probably my preference for the Pocket Navy is because it pretty much clones the "51 Navy in appearance.

What it boils down to is that Sam Colt was in business to make money and he was smart enough to know that a variety was needed to appeal to perusal taste. Let's face it - his contract with the Government for '60 Armsy was for $25.00 a pistol . . . then Remington came along and sold their NMA to the government for $12.50 a pistol - half the price - same caliber - would do the same job at half the price . . . again, marketing.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 12, 2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

Funny... I'm a '61 Navy and Pocket Police fan... as you say, everyone likes something different. I've got 51's and 61's (and 60's both fluted and not), as well as Pocket Police and Pocket Navy, and to me... it's the 61 and the Pocket Police that are the favorites.

I was more wondering if during the time of production of two same-frame size models in the same caliber, if there was a price premium for the "newer" designs.

Willie

Old July 14, 2012, 05:03 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Here's a Colt Ad from 1865. Looks like the Pocket Police was $.75 more than the Pocket Navy.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 14, 2012, 06:26 PM   #7
jlb43

What would you call this? It has a 5" round barrel and is a 36 caliber 6 shot with brass frame. Is this a Pocket Navy? I always thought it was something Uberti just made up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0133.jpg (169.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (132.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (123.7 KB, 63 views)
Old July 14, 2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

It's a short barreled Griswold & Gunnison, and a rare piece. Your pictures don't show the date code; but I'd guess it somewhere around 1965.

The short barrel is a modern interpretation of the original
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 15, 2012, 12:56 AM   #9
jlb43

Fingers
Thanks for the info. Actually I bought it rather cheap because I thought it was just another brass framed Navy. The guy I bought it from thought it was a Pocket 1851. Knowing it is rare means I will probably not be shootin' it.
The date code is stamped twice. XXVI and XX7. Both on the right side of the frame. So it is either 1970 or 1971 I guess. Maybe Uberti made it on New Years Eve. LOL
Old July 15, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Fingers McGee

Double date code makes it even more rare.