The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 8, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
rbernie

MOA from a 6.8SPC

I've built a bunch of 6.8SPC rifles over the last handful of years, and most performed well but not stellarly (2 MOA or slightly better with factory loads) in the accuracy department. I now want to build a hunter that is capable of MOA performance out to 300 yards.

If anyone has built an MOA or better 6.8SPC, I'd love to hear what barrels and bits that you used to make it.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Marquezj16

I have not built mine yet, but from my reading, stag has the 20" barrel capable of sub moa. Read the same thing with RRA. Wilson Combat claims the same performance but they are pricey.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:07 PM   #3
stmcelroy

Get a Noveske barrel or upper and be done with it.

My 16" Noveske Recon 6.8spc shoots sub-moa if I do my part. Best 5 shot group so far at 300 yards is 2.7", I'm sure it shoots even better.

Just recently took my SWFA SS 3-9x42 off of it and replaced it with an Aimpoint PRO so it can do double duty as a home defense weapon. First 5 shot group at 100 yards with a 2moa dot was 1", i'm pretty happy with this gun.

Pocket, IWB, OWB holsters for CCW guns.
Old July 21, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
rbernie

I wound up putting together an upper using an ARPerformance 16" barrel, and it's proving solidly MOA capable with my generic (unoptimized) bucket o' handloads.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Acc371

I'd say: Noveske, Bison or ARP are your best bets. Stag also has a great reputation.
Man! 2 MOA, Are you shooting SPC I or SPC II & the twist?
Old July 22, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
rbernie

All of the barrels I've used are SPCII, 1:11" twist.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Acc371

2 MOA, that is a big spread for the 6.8! I'd be checking scope mounts & other things If I was getting 2 MOA.

Last edited by Acc371; July 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old July 22, 2012, 09:38 AM   #8
rbernie

In fairness, I'm talking about multiple five shot group averages using UMC FMJ or my generic handloads. Most any rifle can get three shot groups close to MOA once and a while, when circumstances align just right....
Old July 22, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
LSnSC

I used a White Oak Armaments18" SPR barrel . With the Barnes TTSX , Nosler Accubond , Sierra SMK and Pro Hunter, its a sub MOA shooter.