The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2012, 12:15 AM   #101
dsk

Actually, I can think of another "con" that I dislike: the fact that very few USGI M9's will ever end up on the civilian market, and if I ever do see one for sale it'll likely cost in the multiple thousands. I was so excited when Beretta first came out with the M9 Special Edition, but my enthusiasm was tempered when I discovered there were several noticeable differences between the government-issue M9's and the commercial version. When first hyped the only difference was supposed to be the serial number.
Old July 18, 2012, 02:35 AM   #102
American Eagle

The only con with the Beretta 92fs is that I do not yet own one.
Old July 18, 2012, 03:16 AM   #103
Stringfellow

I hope I can look past all of these horrible shortcomings and weaknesses--I have been wanting one for years, and mine is supposed to arrive at my LGS on Thursday...
Old July 18, 2012, 06:10 AM   #104
Leejack

Enough already!

I say let's start a pros of the Beretta thread!

Shipwreck, are you with me brother?
Old July 18, 2012, 07:27 AM   #105
wllfthn

Leejack - I'm with you there!
Old July 18, 2012, 09:54 AM   #106
ShipWreck

Quote:
Shipwreck, are you with me brother?
Sho nuff. ONLY con is that I only have nine and not 10.

We need pages to talk about the Pros!
Old July 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #107
marb4

Large grip if you have smaller hands. I have no complaints with mine though.
Old July 18, 2012, 11:16 AM   #108
ShipWreck

See, I have small hands. But the ones with the rear strap indentation on the backstrap make a huge difference to me. On the M( frames, I can feel the difference without it. But, with rubber hogue grip panels (NOT the wrap around kind), the grip is just perfect to me
Old July 18, 2012, 12:09 PM   #109
pgdion

My only con is I don't have as many as Shipwreck.

(but, it good to have goals right?)
Old July 18, 2012, 12:16 PM   #110
Stressfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody55
@Stressfire,

"How long is too long?"

Say six months to a year. It probably depends on who makes the magazines.

On the other hand, you can get all 15 rounds in them without breaking your thumbs. In contrast, my experience with SIG magazines was that you had to leave them loaded for at least a month to get them fully loaded.
Mine are both factory Beretta mags - marked Made in Italy with no Mec-Gar markings. No idea if they are "better" - but they have been constantly loaded full for quite awhile now - have yet to have any feed issues (knock on wood)
Old July 18, 2012, 12:43 PM   #111
Woody55

@Stressfire,

The magazines I am talking about were issued. I don't know who made them or how long they had been kicking around before we got them.

Perhaps this is one of those cases where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

In any event, I always liked the weapon.
Old July 18, 2012, 12:49 PM   #112
DVC9

I have a great deal of respect for the 92/96 series.

Wish the front sight was easier to replace, not a big deal...
The safety being activated by an overhand manipulation of the slide is an issue that does concern the Beretta, however it also effects most any design using a hammer drop safety to some extent or another. Adopting the slingshot method for your manual of arms pretty much solves that issue.

I personally prefer the "Golf" series, which makes it a non-issue.
Furthermore the "Delta" series eliminates the issue completely being a TRUE double action only. (Unlike the claim of certain Austrian Wunder-guns).

The Beretta 92/96 is as fine a gun as anything currently on the market and better than 90% of them.

Currently between my wife and I we have ...
1 96 Brigadier Elite2
3 92 C Compacts
1 92 G Centurion
1 92 G Standard
3 92 FS Centurions
3 92 D Centurions

1 87
1 70S
Old July 18, 2012, 12:57 PM   #113
Stressfire

Quote:
Currently between my wife and I we have ...
1 96 Brigadier Elite2
3 92 C Compacts
1 92 G Centurion
1 92 G Standard
3 92 FS Centurions
3 92 D Centurions

1 87
1 70S
I hate you a little
Old July 20, 2012, 02:35 AM   #114
hemiram

I shot one the first time back about 1979 or so and wanted one ever since. I looked and looked on the auction sites and LGS and finally found a nearly perfect 92FS a couple of years ago on gunbroker with 5 mags, and a set of wraparound rubber grips, in the box with the paperwork and "hockey puck" for $405, and I went for it. Great gun, Only con to it was one of the grip screws was stripped. I got a set of stainless hex screws for it and it looks great. I have nothing bad to say about the 92 itself at all. I was at a gunstore and they had the factory locking toggles on sale for $19.95 and I bought one, "just in case". I doubt I'll put enough rounds through the 92 to ever need to use it.
Old July 20, 2012, 08:57 AM   #115
Beentown71

I actually found a "con" that does bug me. The front sight is part of the slide and cannot be easily changed out.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old July 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #116
ShipWreck

Just sent it to Tooltech Gunsight - they do factory nightsights for Beretta. I sent two slides in Spring 2011. First one was 3 weeks total time with shipping both ways. Second one was done in 2 weeks.

Unless ya want something like a fiber optic, its really a non issue
Old July 20, 2012, 11:10 AM   #117
TailGator

Quote:
That is a curable problem.

Quote:
The Beretta 92/96 is as fine a gun as anything currently on the market and better than 90% of them.
No argument with that. IMO, the value of the Beretta 92 (and, indeed, many Beretta models), when considering price vs design and workmanship quality, is not excelled and seldom matched.

Thank you, ShipWreck, for posting your wheel picture again. I frequently use it to make my modest handgun collection look reasonable to my wife.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:26 AM   #118
cuba

The only con with the 92f (flame suit on) its not a Glock.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Old July 20, 2012, 11:39 AM   #119
Stressfire

Ok, got a con:

Tendency to be overpriced

I've been looking to get a 92 Inox to pair with my black 92FS

LGS has a used one for $699, is it just me or is that insane
Old July 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #120
ShipWreck

$575 at local gun stores...

$499-$525 NEW at houston gun shows...

When I see used ones, I typically see them as over priced when I know what I can get them for.
Old July 20, 2012, 10:38 PM   #121
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The front sight is part of the slide and cannot be easily changed out.
There are 92 variants with dovetailed front sights. The Brigadier models have that option. The 92A1 does as well.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:49 AM   #122
USMCGrunt

Well, I already sort of replied to this thread on the Beretta pro's thread as well since I do appreciate their accuracy, reliability, soft recoil and not being all that hard to work on (in some aspects). However, I'm neither fanboy or hater but just a realist instead that will let the chips fall where they may and here's my list of thing I despise with the M9/Model 92FS:

1. 9mm, especially the M882 9mm NATO round sucks at life when it comes to stopping people. Seen it first hand, shot placement was good for all 6 rounds so spare me the excuses but IMHO, 9mm FMJ ammo is not a fight stopper.

2. The slide mounted decocking levers suck. In classes I teach, even demonstrating clearing a stoppage can sometimes lead to the pistol going into decocked mode. That's not a bad thing though since it does show the studs what to look out for and to be mindful that this is probably going to happen to them too.

3. Grip size and trigger reach can be a problem for some. I guess I don't have that problem but some people will so it's something to think about on a case-by-case situation.

4. Parts breakage. Being an armorer, this subject is near and dear to my heart becasue I've fixed enough of these bastards I know this stuff by heart.
A. Locking blocks, both the old style as well as the newer radiused design types, break and break often. In the classes I taught, it wasn't unusual to find at least one cracked locking block per class. Find them when they're cracked, not a big deal to change (as the military M9 locking blocks just fall out on their own while my personal 92FS actually requires you to remove the roll pin and plunger to get the block out) but a broken locking block in the pistol while firing can be a major (and sometimes destructive) operation to fix.
B. Next is the hammer tripping lever that will sometimes crack off the top lobe that requires replacement but that was with only one batch I've seen that problem fairly often so it may just have been that particular bunch.
C. Cracked or broken slides. Yes folks, it still does happen, not just back in the late 80s. It's referred to as a "slide seperation failure" and in 100% of the broken slides I've seen (about a dozen or so over the past 6 years) it has always started as a crack on the left side of the slide on the thin area where the "PB" stamp is located. If caught early on that's as far as it gets but if it's missed, both sides will crack and if the shooter is lucky, the pistol will stop working before it completely seperates. I did witness one slide seperation failure though that did leave the front half of the slide flying downrange. THAT was a unique day!!! When this problem first appeared back in the 80's the solution for military M9s wasn't to increase the amount of metal in this location but to enlarge the size of the head of the hammer pin and mill out a slot in the bottom of the slide that it would ride over. Now when this happens, the rear half of the slide will not fly off as well striking the shooter. This feature does work as advertized as this is exactly what happened to the shooter with the slide seperation failure.
D. Trigger bar springs that get dislodged during cleaning and go missing. No, it's not a weapon failure, just a retarded operator problem that uses a brush to clean out the inside of the magazine well and doesn't pay attention to where this spring is.
E. Blown out barrel. Seen this twice where the bottom half of the barrel cracked. VERY rare to see this (seen it only twice) and there's no real reason why it should have happened but did.
F. Cracked recievers. At my last base, before I left the first time, we recieved in 120 brand new M9s. I PCS and come back 2 years later and I would say between 1/4 to 1/3 of them had been returned to depot for cracked recievers. Some were along the dust cover where it meets up with the slide rails or in some cases, chunks of the slide rails would break off completely. By the time I left about 2 years later, we were down to maybe 1/2 of them having been returned for this problem alone. Again, this was all out of that one batch that came in so it may have just been a problem with that lot but that was a hell of a lot of problems to deal with that I can't ignore here!
Old July 22, 2012, 08:26 AM   #123
ojibweindian

I had a 92 Inox. Beautiful pistol, but I couldn't stand to shoot it. Double action trigger pull is a serious turn off for me.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:03 PM   #124
FairWarning

1. Very large for a 9mm
2. Odd safety position

But neither of these would discourage me from getting one.

This is the best post of the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Eagle
Old February 18, 2013, 12:13 AM   #125
slothers

I have read on many forums that there are sometimes coating issues on the berettas. Like even if they come new, there are some chips on the coating that exposes the bare metal underneath. I just purchased a beretta the other day and after I brought it home, I noticed a few of these on a couple areas of the gun.

So if you are a stickler about a perfect looking gun, make sure to thoroughly examine them before you leave the store with it.

Side note* - I know those dings and chips may sometimes slip inspection and the gun will be used so it should not be that big of a deal ... also like many have said, the grips are pretty large, it is funny how my 1911 springfield trp has such a slimmer grip profile. Also the browning high power feels really good too. But I chose the beretta because of all the great reviews and that is the only gun the shop had at the moment.

Last edited by slothers; February 18, 2013 at 04:00 AM.