The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
poline

Accurate #7

While at a Gun Show, today, i picked up a new Lee loading manual. To my dismay i found that it did not list Accur#7 for 230gr Jacketed bullets, or for 230gr lead bullets or 230gr copper plated.....where as the 2007 manual does!
What's with that or more to the point why! This is all for 45acp.
Why does a powder......a new powder....get removed?
The forum's thoughts and replys are greatly appreciated.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Well, it's pretty inefficient. It takes about 10 grains to do what 7.2 grains of Power Pistol does. When you try to load it down, pressure drops enough that it probably doesn't burn very consistently (in general, the slower the powder the more pressure it needs for consistent burning), so you have a narrower optimal operating pressure range. That makes it less versatile than other powders in that particular cartridge.

On the other hand, you can get some pretty impressive velocities with it, at least in QuickLOAD. But unless I needed a real maximum barn burner load, I wouldn't choose it because I'd feel like I was throwing powder away. I don't know Lee's thinking. Accurate publishes load data with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 7, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
crowbeaner

Try some Titegroup with your 45 loads. Half the charge weight, great accuracy and easy metering.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4
vladan

As Unclenick said, AA#7 doesnt burn well at the low pressures. It is great powder for high pressure rounds like 9mm, 10mm, .357 sig or .357mag, .40s&w but burning dirty and inefficiently in low pressure rounds like .32acp, .380, .38spec, .45acp and similar.
There are way better powders for your .45
Old July 8, 2012, 12:20 AM   #5
Sport45

Accurate #7 isn't really a new powder. I agree with the others and have tried #7 in .45acp. Accurate #5 or #2 are much better choices.