The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 7, 2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Amsdorf

AK 47 Stock Replacement

Just wanted to report on the replacement stock I got for my AK. I went with the Tapco T6. Yes, I know...this is not a rugged stock that I would want to have if the AK was going into a combat theater, but.... for range use/fun...for $40...good enough, as far as I'm concerned.

This stock completely corrected the length of pull issue I have with AKs. Removing the stock that came with the WASR 10/63 involved removing two screws then leveraging a large screw driver into the receiver and pushing it off.

Got the stock via Amazon.com

I did not use the little tiny screws supplied by Tapco, but instead drilled starter holes, with the supplied bit from Tapco and used the much longer/stronger original screws, had to use a power drill with a phillips head bit to get the necessary torque to get the screw countersunk, the front most one particularly, so that the spring and guide rod would go back into their original position.

Here are pics of the results:

Last edited by Amsdorf; July 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:15 PM   #2
bamaranger

cheek weld

Can you get a correct cheek weld and comfortable head postion with the AR type stock. ?

The AK so equipped I've shot put me behind the rifle too low, and I had to turtle my head up to see the sights. Awkward.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
Amsdorf

So far, so good.
Old July 8, 2012, 12:03 AM   #4
scottd913

i know how you feel i have a t-6 on my sks and love it i got alot of greef from the sks lovers on that other forum saying it ruins the gun and its no good for battle. i stoped ran out side ...looked around...didnt see a battle field and came back inside and said ...cool gun.

it shoots well too btw

nice mods on the ak looks good enjoy
Old July 8, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Amsdorf

Yes, I know what you mean. Some guy informed me that I "ruined" my AK by putting that stock on it.

Shrug.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:35 AM   #6
SR420

I tried one of those and quickly replaced it with a Vltor AK47/AKM/AKS Stock Adapter and Extension
Old July 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Amsdorf

If you are willing to spend that much on a replacement stock, that seems to be a good choice.

I am not willing to sink that much money into a $400 WASR 10/63 range gun I'm using strictly for fun.
Old July 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #8
scottd913

oh and btw i did keep the wood stock its ulgy and dont fit me well just incase i ever want to sell it i could put it back and sell to one of them traditionalist