The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 7, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1
idek

square butt vs round butt on grips?

Is there any particular reason for choosing one grip style over another or is it just a matter of personal preference?
Old July 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2
TennJed

from a visual standpoint I much perfer the round butt. I am interested to see what other will say on how the models differ in recoil and accuracy
Old July 7, 2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Viper225

I presume you are talking K, L, and N Frame Guns.

If you conceal carry, a round butt with a compact grip does not print as badly as a square butt. It will also be more compact.

If your gun has a round butt grip frame you can use either a Round Butt Grip, or a Round to Square Conversion Grip. You cannot go from Square Grip Frame to Round without a Gunsmith altering your grip frame. Not recommended on anything that might ever have collectors value.

I have an assortment of both Round & Square butt guns.
I like round butt compact finger groove grips for my concealed carry guns.

I tend to like Square Butt grips more for my larger 4" barrel Range & Field Carry guns. I prefer Square Butt for heavy recoiling guns also.

Bob
Old July 7, 2012, 05:39 AM   #4
shafter

I prefer the looks of the square grip frame. Especially on k frames with barrels more than 3 or 4 inches.
Old July 7, 2012, 06:32 AM   #5
MLeake

As Viper225 said, round butts conceal much more easily - at least if one isn't wearing winter weight shirts or relatively structured jackets.

I don't have an aesthetic preference.

I have revolvers with both types; the square butts are on target guns.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:13 AM   #6
KyJim

I also have both types. I agree round butts are better for concealment but, to me, square butts are better for shooting. As Viper225 mentioned, you can get stocks that essentially convert a round butt to a square butt. Someone can correct me on this, but I'm guessing those will not emulate the smaller magna-style grips but come closer to the target style grips.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:37 AM   #7
mrbentley57

"Someone can correct me on this, but I'm guessing those will not emulate the smaller magna-style grips but come closer to the target style grips."

Yes the RB to SQ conversions are to a target grip. Here is a set of Altamont's on a Rond Butt SW Model 19 snubby.
Mike

Old July 7, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
mrbentley57

Sorry I didn't answer the OP's original question. I prefer RB on snubbies and J frames and some K frames for carry and for looks. I have targets on all my N frames and some of my K frames. Personal preference to me.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9
skoro

square butt vs round butt on grips?

Quote:
Is there any particular reason for choosing one grip style over another or is it just a matter of personal preference?
The round butts definitely are easier to conceal and are what I prefer on a snub or a 3" barrel. The square butts fill my hand better and are what I prefer for a service type (4") revolver. Either way, I like a t-grip on any of them.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:47 PM   #10
ZVP

Round butt for concealibility.
ZVP
Old July 8, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Round butt for concealment purposes but I think they look terrible. Square butt, too me, is exactly how a revolver should look.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:25 PM   #12
DFrame

Just a matter of personal preference. I like the round butt grips but know others swear by the square butt.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:28 AM   #13
dahermit

Having small hands, I find the the most of the extra surface that a square butt S&W has, does not come into contact with my hand anyway. So it is round butts for me.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old July 9, 2012, 02:48 PM   #14
idek

Thanks for the replies. Based on the suggestions, I think a square butt would fit my needs better--I don't have plans to conceal and I have long fingers.

But since I can get square grips for a round butt frame, I think I'll go with the round frame, so I have both options.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:02 PM   #15
ltc444

Which ever grip works best for you and your style of shooting. Better yet get a blank and whittle one out that fits you. As my architect friends say "form follows function"
Old July 9, 2012, 10:56 PM   #16
Buzzcook

I feel more comfortable with a square grip. What ever fits your hand better.
Old July 10, 2012, 06:14 PM   #17
James K
Staff

For a long time, I carried a Chiefs Special (pre-Model 36) with a steel square butt (not the wood filler type) and liked it for the extra weight and better grip. Of course, as a LEO, I was not really that concerned about "printing", although I always tried to keep the gun concealed.

Jim
Old July 10, 2012, 07:58 PM   #18
Bob Wright

I like the square butt revolver grips for heavy magnum caliber revolvers, especially for long range shooting. I prefer muzzle heavy revolvers and the square butt helps me balance the weight up front by getting the heel of my hand on the grip.

Incidentally, here is a Smith Model 625 in .45 ACP that came with a round butt. I made these grips from walnut to convert to square butt.

I had hoped to find a donor Model 29 and rebore it to .45 S&W and fit this full lug barrel to it, but never got the act together. I had experimented with the .45 S & W long before it was resurrected, cutting off .45 Colt brass and using the Hornady 230gr. Flat Point FMJ bulletts.

Bob Wright