The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 6, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
ww4970

Bushmaster

I just got my first Bushmaster I just wanted to hear what you guys think of bushmaster.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Like any commercial grade AR they are generally GTG. The current owners of Bushmaster have lost a little in the area of customer support. I've owned different Bushmaster for almost twenty years now, still have two of them. They have been fine rifles, keep them lubed and run good ammo in good mags and you'll be fine.

Don't be concerned with the brand name snobs saying X or Y is better than Z. Just learn how to maintain the fire arm. Download a copy of the Army manual, google "TM 9-1005-319-23&P". This well cover all you need to know.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

I have a Bushmaster XM15-2es that I've been very happy with. It's a bare-bones A2-type rifle with no upgrades/modifications, because I wanted a practice rifle that's very close to what I use to qualify with in the Navy. The trigger is a little rough, but then again, so are the ones on our qualification rifles.

I bought it used from the local Marine gun range for $600. They sell theirs fairly frequently, before they've accumulated many rounds, so it didn't have many signs of wear. I don't have any complaints, and would have no problems recommending them to anyone else.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
10Ringmagic

I have a XM15 E2 Bushmaster that I bought brand new four years ago.

It has been a great AR, never once failed to go bang when the trigger is pulled, just as accurate as my Colt.
Old July 8, 2012, 03:16 PM   #5
boostedtt91

I have a bushmaster 7.62x39 AR which i bought a few years back as my first AR15 rifle. I have always been a huge fan of Bushmaster and believed they made some of the best ar15's on the market and had amazing customer service. Unfortunatly that has changed ever since Remington took them over, now they have horrible service,i called them after the switch to buy a Varmint upper from them and they guy said he never heard of them and didnt know they made them. Very sad such a great company was ruined so quickly. Id be interested in hearing how there new stuff is compared to there old
Old July 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #6
eldorendo

I believe they were better rifles when they were made at the Windham plant.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7
DeadCenter

My first AR was a Bushmaster 223, I still have it and it still shoots greats. I have no complaints. Since I don't shoot it to much anymore, I am planning on buying a grendel barrel and converting it to something I'll shoot again
Old July 8, 2012, 07:57 PM   #8
JWT

Have a Bushmaster .223 that I've owned for several years. No problems of any kind. Completely satisfied with it.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:22 PM   #9
FrosSsT

I have a Bushmaster M4A3 Patrolmans Carbine and it has been great. Dont get fooled by a name. Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, and the other 5 million AR manufacturers are just like Sony, LG, and Samsung when it comes to TV's - They are for the most part the same, with a different name and emblem stamped on the side. Take care of it, and it will serve you for a very, very long time. Dont let anyone come into the picture and tell you otherwise.
Old July 8, 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
theunderdog1982

I have a new production (January 2012) Bushmaster Patrolman and I love it. Hasn't malfunctioned yet. It has properly staked gas keys,m4 feed ramps black crano ring. I keep waiting for it to blow up in my hands because it seems people keep coming to me with stories about how they knew someone with a Bushmaster that blew up or something of that nature. I've done mag dump after mag dump and nothing yet. I just keep it lubed up and it works flawlessly.
Old July 9, 2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Justice06RR

I also owned a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine 5.56/.223 that was flawless. it was my first AR (sold it already) but that was a fantastic rifle. I would echo what others said that Bushmaster AR's are just as good as some top/mid-tier rifles, and probably better than DPMS and OLY.

Post pics of yours, we all love pics you know
Old July 9, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
theunderdog1982

I haven't compared brands..
Old July 9, 2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I haven't compared brands..
I never said you did.

I was poking fun at Frossst.

If you enjoy your rifle and it does what you want it to do, what difference does it make what I or anyone else says?

If you told me that you had owned 5 Colts and every one of them jammed constantly, broke after 50 rounds, etc. I would just smile and go on, because the 5 that I have, are fine and work for me. I wouldn't, however, state that you were just parroting things that you had heard from someone else or that it was impossible that you would have 5 rifles all that were bad.

I would just take it at face value that you had those problems. At most, it might prompt me to take a look at things you had mentioned to make sure that I didn't have the same problem.

I definitely wouldn't take it personal like some people seem to do (not necessarily you). I would just file it away as data.

Do you take my listing of problems that I have had and information that I have about Bushmaster rifles and parts produced between 2004 and 2008 as a personal insult?

I hope not. Because it isn't meant to be.

I don't take the warranted criticism about Colt's stupid half moon semi-auto carrier, offset front take down screw or stupid .170 dia FCG pins personally and I won't own Colt rifles that have these things.

I have no idea what Bushmaster rifles made since 2008 are like. I can't make a useful statement like that because I don't own any and I don't know anyone who does. All I can say is that the rifles that I have had experience with were not at the same level of quality as the Colts produced during a similar time period.

Good luck.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:01 PM   #14
theunderdog1982

I have looked at all the so called problems Bushmasters have and my particular rifle has none of those problems. I hear Bushmasters have poorly staked gas keys. Checked mine and compared them to a colt's staking and they looked identical. I've heard they come with a blue insert in the extractor instead of a black crano ring.Looked at my extractor, it had a black crano ring. I've heard Bushmasters don't have m4 feed ramps, Looked at mine sure enough it did. The only two things I found on my rifle that was true what no castle nut staking which isn't a big deal I did it in under 5 minutes and it doesn't have an F marked front sight post, but it shoots spot on so that doesn't bother me.
Old July 10, 2012, 12:23 AM   #15
ww4970

i have no problems with mine i was really just woundering what peoples take on them was i would recomend them to anyone.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:45 AM   #16
Crow Hunter

Quote:
I've heard they come with a blue insert in the extractor instead of a black crano ring.Looked at my extractor, it had a black crano ring.
It's the insert inside of the extractor spring they are talking about. Not the "Crane" O-ring.

Bushmaster's come with "Crane" O-rings now? They didn't used to. That would help because they used to be overgassed and they used a carbine buffer and a shrouded semi-auto carrier. (I think Crane only uses the O-ring for the really short barrelled rifles)

Colt doesn't use them, they have smaller gas ports and they use a full auto carrier/H buffer which slows the cycling down and keeps the extractor from getting yanked off the case rim.

It is good that they have fixed the items that you listed. The rifles that I had didn't have them. However, the more important parts are the things that you can't necessarily see, if you don't see them side by side. That is what I noticed when I compared them.

I didn't like the lack of radiusing on the cam pin hole (sharp corners are stress risers), the fact the carrier wasn't tested for hardness, the cast extractor, the lack of shot peening for stress relief on the bolt.

That being said, I would actually prefer that they didn't High Pressure Test 100% of the the bolts, it shortens the life by a fairly significant amount.

I would also prefer they did something other than MPI on the bolts to check for cracks. That is a visual check, which at best is only 85% effective and it only detects flaws near to the surface. An eddy current test or X-ray or ultrasonic would be much more reliable.

As long as you like it and it does what you want it to do. That is what is important. If it doesn't then you can fix/upgrade it as needed.

I personally didn't like it, especially for the miniscule price differential. $1050 vs $1175 at the time. (And the Colt came with (2) 20 round mags and a cleaning kit)

Good luck.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:54 AM   #17
theunderdog1982

Yes here's the extractor from factory.

And while we're at it the the staking on the gas key.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Crow Hunter

That is very good staking job. Much nicer than any of the ones that I had on my Bushmasters. The one's on mine just barely touched the screws. I used a center punch and counter staked them for insurance.

Maybe most of the builders have gotten this right.

I saw a Olympic the last time that I went to the public range in Paris. The staking job was even better than the one you posted.

It's problem was accuracy rather than function. Of course, all that junk the guy had attached without tightning down/witness marking probably had something to do with it.

Can you take a picture of the extractor groove itself and the back of the extractor? I would find it interesting to see if there is a difference now that Cerberus is running them. The used to use cast extractors.

Good luck.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:16 AM   #19
theunderdog1982

What do you mean the groove? Like take a picture of the bolt without the extractor in it? Is this what you want to see?

Last edited by theunderdog1982; July 10, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
Crow Hunter

I'm sorry. Had to go do a test unit.

The groove in the extractor that holds the case rim.

The opposite side of the O-ring.

Good luck.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:25 AM   #21
theunderdog1982

Old July 10, 2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Crow Hunter

Thanks

Unfortunately, they still seem to be using a near net shape cast extractor.

But as long as you have a spare you should be good to go. Just do an inspection when you clean and make sure that groove isn't chipping out, if it looks really worn, swap it out.

Good luck.
Old July 10, 2012, 10:03 AM   #23
theunderdog1982

It should be fine for a while I dont send that many rounds down range every trip maybe if im lucky 300 rounds so I don't think it will be a problem for a while.
Old July 10, 2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Crow Hunter

It may very well last forever. You never know.

I think the standard NSN replacement extractor is cast as well, but I am not sure.

Good luck.
Old July 10, 2012, 08:28 PM   #25
FrosSsT

Quote:
I was poking fun at Frossst.

Well I'd stick with poking fun at people over the internet instead of poking holes at 500 yards with your pony if I was you too.