The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Grant D

Colt Officers Model Match

Went to the LGS today to their indoor range to shoot with my wife today.She practiced with her Walther PPK/S and S&W Model 637,and she did well with both.I took my Ruger LC9 and S&W Model 12 to practice with as they are ones I carry during the day.
When we were done she said let's have a look around the store,and since your birthday is coming up which one do you want?? Well I looked at a couple of model 686+'s one with a three inch barrel and one with a four inch barrel,but kept going back to this one.So now my Colt collection is growing.
Have never seen a trigger like this before. Looks like it's held on with allen screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colt officers target model 3.JPG (197.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg colt target trigger 2.JPG (224.8 KB, 79 views)
Old July 6, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2
redhawk45

The thing on your trigger is called a Trigger Shoe supposedly to help some shooters. It is not factory, can be removed by the allen screws. Old school thing, some people may like them, lot's dont. If you remove it it may leave small marks on trigger but nothing like the big glob of metal that it is....
Old July 6, 2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Whirlwind06

Looks sweet! Is it a .38 or .357?
Old July 7, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4
KyJim

The Officer's Model Match did not come in .357 magnum. It does have the same action as the Python and I think of it as a pre-Python, though they were both produced during the same time period for awhile.

My OMM has the slickest action and is the best shooting revolver I have ever shot (a pre-war SW is not far behind). Congratulations to the OP. You have an awesome shooting gun.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Grant D

It's a 38. Cal.And yes,the action's as smooth as silk.
It surprised me the I had the pick of any weapon in the store,and this is the one I chose over all the others, new or used.

Last edited by Grant D; July 7, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #6
boa2

Take care of those early Colt target stocks because they are worth at least $250!
Old July 8, 2012, 01:15 PM   #7
DFrame

Yes whatever you do don't lose those stocks! The OMM is one of the finest target revolvers ever made. Back when revolvers RULED bullseye matches, the Colts frequently were the first choice of winning competetors.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:21 PM   #8
Winchester_73

Quote:
It surprised me the I had the pick of any weapon in the store,and this is the one I chose over all the others, new or used.
So you surprised yourself by making a good choice? Interesting

I have one myself, and they are certainly on par with K-22s. I like my OMM much better than my Colt Diamondback. OMMs were 38 special or 22lr.

Yours and mine are both from the 50s judging by the stocks. In the early 60s the later type of target stock was introduced. The stocks for these are $200 to $300.

Here is mine, top

Old July 9, 2012, 09:41 AM   #9
dgludwig

I have the "ugly" Officers Model Match, the Officers Model Special, made in 1951. Some find the untapered bull barrel aesthetically less pleasing than the graceful taper of the OMM's bull barrel. The OMS also has the less desireable (for some) "ColtMaster" adjustable rear sight.
I also have a Smith&Wesson K-38 Masterpiece made in 1957. I shoot both of these classic target revolvers in Bullseye matches and I like them equally.
Old July 9, 2012, 09:56 AM   #10
Grant D

Wincherster 73 that's quite an impressive collection of Colts you have!

What surprised me is I've been looking at model 629's and 686's and 1911's and quite a few other firearms,including rifles.But they are all new and will be there later,so the Colt won.
Old July 10, 2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Jeff #111

The OM Target is a great revolver. Mine was made in 1941 and out of all my revolvers it absolutely has the smoothest action. Good find.
Old July 10, 2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Grant D

Just got back from the range at lunch time,and figured it's a target pistol,so I ran the target out to forty five feet, ( that's the farthest it go's) and proceeded to put thirty rounds in the red and black! Was really impressed with it!
Old July 10, 2012, 01:50 PM   #13
DFrame

Mines a duotone Heavy Barrel from about 1949. Unfortunately it doesn't have it's original stocks. Nothing I own, can TOUCH it in the accuracy department.
Old July 10, 2012, 05:20 PM   #14
VonFatman

Nice gun Grant.

I only have three Colts

1) Sporter/AR-15

2) Officer's Model Target (.22 LR)

3) Officer's Special (.38 Special)

I really like shooting the last two. Fine target revolvers! My .38 did not come with those nice Colt target stocks....but the ones that did come on the gun are pretty.

Old July 12, 2012, 03:37 PM   #15
boa2

Here is my OMM .22 made in 1957:

Old July 12, 2012, 04:36 PM   #16
VonFatman

boa2,
NICE revolver. Those are fine looking stocks too.

Bob
Old July 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17
boa2

VonFatman:

1)Thanks for the compliment on my OMM. Although it has a little holster wear at the muzzle the original target stocks are near mint. The action is as slick as butter.

2)I'm impressed with both your OMS and the pretty stocks on it! I'm also partial to the OMS because I think that these are the best looking of the Officer's Model revolvers. It is the rarest of the Officer's Model's and to me, the looks of the bull barrel looks menacing-and I think that in a Hollywood movie the OMS would have the looks for a perfect assassins revolver!

3)How does your OMS compare to your OMT in terms of how it shoots? I have a NIB 1950(Unfired)OMS .38 that I purchased about 8 years ago. But, because it was pristine, I didn't want to shoot this revolver. I have not yet found a clean OMS .38(Or a .22)that I'd feel comfortable in shooting. Evidently, the original owner of the OMS that I now own, had replaced the original Coltmaster rear sight on this revolver with the Colt Accro rear sight, with the intention to enter this OMS in .38 target matches-but, instead, never fired it!

Mikal
Old July 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #18
mete

Never use the trigger shoe for holster carry -not safe ! IPSC banned them years ago.
You've got a very nice revolver there , a keeper .
Old July 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Bob Wright

VonFatman,

Could you get a better photo of the rear sight on you Officers Model Special? If I'm not mistaken that was the Colt Accro rear sight.

I've been through several Officers Model Match revolvers in my time, but never seen a rear sight like that, only in photos.

Bob Wright

And WOW for those stag grips!
Old July 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Grant D

mete: I don't think I'll ever holster carry this gun, as I have plenty of others for that.( I have a 2" Model 60 on my belt now at work)

Why did the IPSC ban the trigger shoe?? I like the way it works.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Bob Wright

The trigger shoe is wider than the trigger guard, and holstering a gun so equipped could lead to an accidental discharge.

Another problem occured with a duty gun when a loosely fitted trigger shoe dislodged and tied up the trigger, preventing the guns being fired. Slim chance, but a chance none the less.

Bob Wright
Old July 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #22
dgludwig

Quote:
Could you get a better photo of the rear sight on you Officers Model Special? If I'm not mistaken that was the Colt Accro rear sight.
It is the "ColtMaster" adjustable rear sight that came standard with the Officer Model Special revolvers. As mentioned earler in this thread, my OMS has one.
Old July 14, 2012, 09:16 PM   #23
Casimer

+1 on Colt Master on the OMS. You can see the name in the old ad shown on this site - http://tonybrong.blogspot.com/2011/1...get-match.html
Old July 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Jeff #111

Here is mine. Manufactured in 1941. One of the last pre-War II OM's. Great shooter.

Old July 16, 2012, 02:11 PM   #25
dgludwig

Thanks for the link, Casimer. It's hard to find good photos on the Special variation of the Officers Model and the Coltmaster adjustable rear sight.