The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Kimio

FN FNC: how rare are the semi auto only versions?

From my understanding it's been roughly two decades since they stopped being imported. I did some research but couldn't find a sufficient answer sadly since many of the threads I found dated back to 2009 or older.

So my question is, how hard would it be to find an old FNC that has not been converted to being select fire with the registered sears, and how much it would go for? There is one on GB, but I believe they want something upwards to 6-7k for it. Yikes!

I eventually would like to get its big brother the FN FAL, but it would be cool to have them as a pair.
Old July 5, 2012, 04:12 PM   #2
LOLERCOASTER

You should really just get the FN FAL. With the FNC, you're not going get one on the "cheap". If you want a wall hanger, there's always airsoft.
Old July 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Kimio

That's a real shame. Is it because there are not many left around? I've read a few things about them, such as having a real problem with firing pins breaking.

Honestly, I was looking at it for the collectors value. So far I can't seem to find one anywhere used other than Gun broker (which happen to be automatic, not looking for one with the happy switch)

I was hoping to eventually have the big and little brother of both the PTR91 and the FAL.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

They sell from $2500 and up now. That has been what they have been going for lately. The last auction I was watching went at about $3700. From what I have read they only imported around 12,000. The machine guns you see available are made from the original semi autos. I am not aware of any that were imported as machine guns.

It wouldn't be a bad one to grab for a collector item. In gun terms, they didn't import that many. I can't see you getting one anytime soon for less than $2500, and more realistically $3500.
Old July 6, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Kimio

Thank you for the information DLiller. Is there anything else I should be looking out for when I'm shopping around for one? Parts I hear are hard to come by, but there does seem to be at least one surplus dealer that I've found on the internet, though he doesn't seem to carry the larger parts for major malfunctions. His name escapes me at the moment.

I know that many surplus rifles, especially those built here in the states via kits and such should be thoroughly checked over for head spacing, sight alignment and stuff like that. I did read somewhere that an individual had to resort to machining the firing pins out of titanium to get them to reliably function in excess of a couple hundred or so rounds before breaking. I'm not too sure how accurate that is about the FNC' tendancy to eat firing pins, but it never hurts to be too careful when it comes to restoring and perhaps improving a collectors piece to functioning order.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Willie D

I asked the same thing a while back. Apparently there were almost as many registered auto-sears as FNCs imported so that you'd have to crazy to NOT turn it into a full auto and sell it for 5-10x what you paid for it.

A neat gun I would love to have. I hear from people who own both that there is a lot of the FNC in the SCAR...
Old July 7, 2012, 12:36 AM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

All the ones I have seen have been pretty well taken care of. There are sources for new firing pins, but other parts are a lot harder to come by. Checking on the forums it seems that some parts from the scar can replace FNC parts when broken. Im not sure which or how many though.

The FNC was imported as a whole rifle, not put together here. You don't have to worry about buying some home builders mistake, as they were all built by FN.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:37 AM   #8
5.56RifleGuy

As far as the auto sears go, some people tend to think there may be more registered sears than guns.
Old July 7, 2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Kimio

Thanks again for the information. Honestly, I hope to find one that has not been converted yet. I don't think I want to go through all the hoops to get the paper work done, especially if I have to bother my CO.

Estimated, I should be looking at around 3k+? If I'm lucky I may find one at a local gun show or something. I take that there are not a lot of options for rails and such for them correct? It's a real shame that FN doesn't seem inclined to re-introduce the FNC rifles back into the US market, would be a real nice alternative to the FAL since the .223 is a much more affordable round.
Old July 7, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10
5.56RifleGuy

People have made some things for it over the years. I know you can get quad rails and all that junk if you want it. I know DSA has them and I think a few others.
Old July 8, 2012, 11:22 PM   #11
Willie D

Quote:
It's a real shame that FN doesn't seem inclined to re-introduce the FNC rifles back into the US market, would be a real nice alternative to the FAL since the .223 is a much more affordable round.
They were not particularly cheap to manufacture, which is yet another reason FN switched to the SCAR. I don't expect them to many (any?) more.

There are a lot out there in foreign armies. The best we could hope for is a loosening of parts importations, etc.
Old July 9, 2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Skans

Semi-auto FNC's get snapped up by those who have registered sears. $6,000 is way too high of a price for a semi-auto FNC. I see them sell for about $3,500. The sears sell for about $3,000, and I think the conversion goes for about $800 or so (not positive about this number). So, if someone bought an FNC for 6k, with the intent of installing a registered sear, they would have about 10K into the full-auto FNC. Full-auto FNC's are selling in the $7,500 - 8K range, last I checked.

I think the one on Gunbroker is a new-in-box example - that's rare - and it hasn't sold, so that aught to tell you something.

The firing pin really isn't a problem. And, although finding parts is a problem, firing pins are pretty easy to find. FWIW, a semi-auto FNC is a good investment (assuming you don't overpay). You get a lot of the appreciation of a owning a full-auto rifle without any of the paperwork!
Old July 9, 2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Kimio

Either that, or someone else picks up the schematics and decides to have them manufactured in the US kind of like what PTR did with the HK91 series of rifles. The liklihood of that is pretty slim I'd imagine, with the way the market goes, I'm not sure how high of a demand the rifle would garner. It certainly is a cool looking rifle, and I've read that most owners wouldn't part with them unless it was under special circumstances.

Hopefully I can find one a little cheaper, it's not like I currently have the funds to pay for one right now anyway. One will pop up eventually I'm sure, I doubt all 12,000 some rifles have been converted into class III weapons yet anyway.
Old July 9, 2012, 10:38 AM   #14
Husqvarna

Willie D my boys (the Swedes) use them but from wiki i can only see

Belgium: Standard assault rifle of the Belgian Army; used in both the standard and carbine variants (called the FNC M2 and FNC M3 respectively).[7][8]
Democratic Republic of Congo[9]
Indonesia: Purchased 10,000 rifles in 1982.[10] Now made under license as the Pindad SS1.[11]
Nigeria[9]
Sri Lanka[9]
Sweden: Accepted for use in 1986 and made under a license agreement by Bofors Carl Gustav as the Ak 5 (Automatkarbin 5).[12]
Tonga[9]
Venezuela[9]

also carries it, the Swedish police has got them aswell but only in Semi, but probably not that many to impact a market as big as the US, with our silly laws I dunno if we would export to you either, and as cheap we are ours are probably more than used, when they get worn they are shipped of to our national guard/reserves and god knows they need em

I guess you'd better hope for the pindad (big country/military? but a copy?

one small hope is that we quite recently abandoned our conscript army thing and scaled down to where every dude who does his service will probably shipped abroad and as that isn't to many (un peace keeping Eu taskforce) maybe we got stockpiles again. we had stockpiles when i was a kid but they kept getting robbed
Old July 9, 2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Skans

Quote:
or someone else picks up the schematics and decides to have them manufactured in the US
This is not likely to happen, because:

1. They cost too much to make - wouldn't be able to compete with AR's on price
2. FN already makes the SCAR - why would they go back to making the older FNC's for civilians?
3. Producing FNC's just for sear-owners to convert to full-autos is not only too small of a market, but would likely not be permitted by BATFE.
Old July 9, 2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Kimio

Yeah, as I mentioned before, it's probably not going to happen as far as another company picking up the FNC to produce in america. As you said, it would be competeing against the AR15, which already saturates the black rifle market.

Again, such a shame. Only hope I'd say as others have, is that they start being imported again by some other source (Another very slim chance). Until then, I'll just have to keep hunting and hope that I get lucky.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:46 PM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

Just found a great deal on one today . . . bought it too.

Keep looking, you will find one.
Old July 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Kimio

Congrats DLiller, please let me know how it shoots. If I may ask, is it select fire or semi only?
Old July 13, 2012, 02:16 PM   #19
Kimio

Ah, for parts? Certain things I understand are hard to come by if they break.
Old July 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #20
5.56RifleGuy

You got it. I hopefully wont need it for that, but it will be great to have if I do. I know there are some small parts available for things like the Scar that will work, but this way I have all the bases covered. It was really too good of a deal to pass up.
Old July 14, 2012, 12:10 AM   #21
Kimio

Sweet, I'll probably do the same if I was ever fortunate to find two of them and be able to afford them.

May I ask what you paid for it, any tips on what you were looking out for when you inspected the rifle before buying it?
Old July 14, 2012, 12:18 AM   #22
5.56RifleGuy

You are going to hate me, but I got it for $2300. I found it on gunauction.com. I have just been checking for one every day, and someone posted one with a low buy it now and i jumped on it. I haven't been able to inspect the rifle yet because it hasn't arrived, but from the pictures it looks great. The owner says it has only fired 50 rounds, but you know how that is. I tend to believe this guy though, because he said he had two of them. Ill update you to how it looks and all when I get to check it out.

My advice for finding one would be just keep looking around. I hear people find them at gun shows every so often, but I haven't seen any. Just keep checking the auction sites and different gun listing sites. That's how I found this one.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Kimio

Thanks DL, your advice is greatly appreciated.

That's a screaming deal if the rifle is in good condition, I'm surprised you found one for such a low price.

Gun auction.com eh? I'll have to keep an eye out there as well. I usually patrol Gunbroker primarily, if I'm lucky, by the time I have the money to get one, I'll have found a decent deal.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:32 PM   #24
cobrajocky

My personal experience is that the number of FN-FNC's converted to FA is no where near as high as thought. I run across a lot of them being used in National Match Service Rifle competitions. Obviously none are FA's.

I bought my first for $200 from a gun shop in 1986 where the previous owner traded it in to buy a AR-15 because he thought it was too heavy, after only shooting a couple 20 rd boxes of ammo, what a wimp. The second I bought a month later (still 1986) new in the box for $250, because another dealer didn't think it would sell. Both have match grade barrels and are fully accurized, which I had done right after buying them (I shoot National Match, service rifle). Either will shoot the balls off a fly at 200 yrds, far superior to any match grade AR-15/16 I've ever shot or shot against. With my reloads, it will group equivalent to my 1952 National Match Garrand. It is a far superior to the FAL and any HK too. The first one has easily had 10,000 rounds through it and is still as tight as new ... the key is proper maintenance. Never broke a firing pin in either, though I have one spare OEM, when I was suckered into believing the false stories of pin failures back in the early 90's.

When I was in Nam etc flying Heli's, we had M-16's and side arms, all new nice and pretty and I always thought they were a piece of crap. Compared to the FN-FNC, they are. If anyone does find spares, please pass the word along for those that need parts in the FNC community.
Old February 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Skans

I have one and consider it one of the best 5.56 rifles out there. I have toyed with the idea of buying a sear for it and having it converted, but there is part of me that really likes it in the Semi-auto only configuration. In semi-auto, you really don't need to worry about having spare parts around - these things are over engineered for semi-auto only rifles; if you have one, keep it!!

As far as prices go, the FNC will just continue to go up as long as there are sears out there to legally make the semi's full-auto. It's not so much that its a rare gun, its just in very high demand because of the ability to legally convert it to full-auto. If BATFE thought there were a ton of FNC's AND sears out there, I'm sure they would make some kind of crappy new ruling about conversion, but I suspect the numbers are just too small for them to worry about. My guess is if you can find one for $3,000, that might be a fair price in today's market. A couple years ago, I think they were selling for around $2,200. Next year, I'm sure they will sell for more.

Last edited by Skans; February 18, 2013 at 08:49 AM.