The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2012, 10:17 PM   #26
hk33ka1

I have Lee Pistol Factory crimp dies for most of my pistol calibres that came in 4 dies sets, but found I don't use them much.

I bought extra Lee Taper crimp dies and usually use them if I want a four station reloading process for pistol, now giving me 5 die sets of which I don't use all the dies all the time.
Old July 5, 2012, 11:21 AM   #27
Jim Watson

Quote:
JC that makes me wonder how close the tolerances are on the production side of the FCD's.
Not very.
I have two .45 ACPs, the intent was to have one on each press so I would not have to readjust. I haven't miked them, but I can FEEL a difference on the press handle, even in the same press.

The Lee Legend was that they were able to offer the Carbide Factory Crimp Die cheaply because they had a closet full of otherwise useless slightly oversize sizing rings and could produce them for the cost of the die body. That implies a good deal of variability right there.
Old July 5, 2012, 12:46 PM   #28
Nathan

The FCD die is an important tool in my loading. I need a 4th crimp die. I need this to set my crimp on my rounds separate from seating. I do this because seating needs to be done separately to get a repeatable OAL's and easy setup IME. Mostly easy setup.

Back to the FCD. I could buy any crimp die and get the crimp function. Actually, on hard kickers, I go with the profile crimp die from Redding. Still, in a volume loading situation where I don't check every round/bullet, I find the FCD helpful. I'm not sure it ever post sized a round. . .but it was there so I never have to 100% "plunk" test loaded rounds.

I also am not seeing leading due to it either.

So, for me, it basically gives me an after loading diameter inspection and a solid crimp. Cost is the same as other crimp dies.
Old July 5, 2012, 02:15 PM   #29
rebs

Thank you for all the replies and information, I am not going to use the Lee FCD
Old July 5, 2012, 11:58 PM   #30
joneb

Quote:
I do this because seating needs to be done separately to get a repeatable OAL's
I disagree some what.
I seat and crimp in different steps when loading soft nosed bullets such as hollow points, when these bullets are seated and crimped in one step the bullet can be shortened resulting in a similar COL but a different load density, meaning the bullet occupies more or less of the case capacity.
Old July 6, 2012, 02:49 AM   #31
Sport45

Quote:
The Lee Legend was that they were able to offer the Carbide Factory Crimp Die cheaply because they had a closet full of otherwise useless slightly oversize sizing rings and could produce them for the cost of the die body. That implies a good deal of variability right there.
Hold on now. Is it proper to use a rumor to verify an implication?
Old July 6, 2012, 03:45 AM   #32
jcwit

Quote:
I do this because seating needs to be done separately to get a repeatable OAL's and easy setup IME.
I seat and crimp in the same operation and all my cartridges come out the same OAL. This is for handgun ammo.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:11 PM   #33
eldorendo

I load on a 650, and, naturally, I seat and crimp separately. I do use the FCD for all my straightwall handgun loads. I like 'em. I don't care about the post-sizing feature, as I never feel it doing anything, but I do like the way the crimp is adjusted and the crimp itself.
Old July 6, 2012, 08:44 PM   #34
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I have loaded thousands upon thousands of cast lead bullets in cartridges that require both taper and roll crimps. If you are "shaving" lead while seating and crimping in one step, then your seat/crimp die is not setup properly or your flaring die is not flaring enough. Period.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 6, 2012, 08:51 PM   #35
rebs

I set the die to flare alittle more and did as Jim saud to setup my seating and crimping die. all is well now as far as my problem, I will seee about accuracy on Monday when I go to the range