The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2012, 04:31 AM   #1
happyhaus

?? about a german mauser 32 hand gun

I recently purchased a 32 german mauser 32 with nazi swasstickers on both sides of the gun in the area that surrounds the trigger closest to the butt- any ideas on dates or possibly were it came from and cost? I dont have the all the info of the gun on hand but will sometime tonight.
Old July 3, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
SDC

We need more information, and probably pictures; this is probably a 1934 Mauser pistol bearing acceptance marks, but these are seen on so many pistols, there's no way of knowing for sure without pictures.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:00 AM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

could be an HSc as well.
Old July 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #4
carguychris

^^^ I'm with 44 AMP; I bet you it is an HSc because they were normally marked on the rear trigger guard. On a 1934, they were usually marked on the side of the frame above the grips, presumably because the safety engagement lever is very close to the trigger guard.

FWIW Mauser 1934s and their predecessors have a peculiar safety mechanism. To place the pistol on-safe, a lever by the trigger guard is swiped downwards; to disengage the safety, you press a button that looks like the mag release on a conventional American-style automatic. The mag is removed via a European-style latch on the butt. Mauser HSc's have a more conventional Walther-style slide-mounted safety, although they retained the butt-mounted mag release latch, and the safety does not lower the hammer as with a Walther PP-series or P.38.

Assuming it's an HSc, value should be around $400-$700 assuming original condition and finish. (The wide value range is due to our lack of knowledge re: what the actual pistol looks like.) Holsters, additional original mags, and other accessories will increase value by 10%-40%. If the pistol is one of the rather rare early models with the low grip screw, value increases by quite a lot, but I don't remember by how much.

WORD OF WARNING: I'm not a Mauser HSc or Nazi pistol expert by any stretch; however, I have been warned by an expert that these pistols were not generally used as special presentation or commemorative pieces by the Nazis. IOW big and garish emblems, engravings, and/or special grips on an HSc are most likely FAKE and will degrade value.
Old July 4, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I took in an HSc on trade from a friend a while back. He's a pretty educated guy about guns, but even he missed the fact that it had the WAa stamp. He thought it was a post war gun (probably because it has those white plastic grips). The stamping is small, and located right where the trigger guard meets the frame. One side of the gun, only (left).

The HSc is a neat gun. Clearly, Mauser was trying to make a PP, while avoiding Walther's patents.

Still waiting to hear back from the OP. A good clear picture is needed to (roughly) assess value.