The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 2, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
nmbrinkman

10/22 Bolt Release

I've been looking at upgrading my 10/22 bolt release to the one where you just slightly pull back the action to send the bolt home. I noticed that the ones I've found don't lock the bolt to the rear on empty. Is there a release that will do both functions? (lock to the rear on empty AND slide home when when the bolt is slightly pulled back)
Old July 2, 2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Jeff F

No, not with just the bolt lock. There is a bolt lock with a modded magazine on the market that will lock the bolt back after the last round.
You can mod your bolt lock yourself with a dremel or a file, the last one I did with a chain saw file to release when you pull it back when its locked back. Its a real easy mod. Just search the web, modding 10/22 bolt lock.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Pahoo

Would be nice !!

Jeff F + 1
There must be some liability issues that prevents Ruger from providing their 10/22's with the auto-bolt release. Makes a lot more sense to have it. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 3, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
zippy13

Jeff + 2 (chain saw file is perfect for the job)
Pahoo + 1

I've long suspected that lawyers run Ruger's R & D facility.
Old July 3, 2012, 12:48 PM   #5
nmbrinkman

So with the modded (or aftermarket) bolt release and a modded magazine I can get both functions?
Old July 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Pahoo

Two seperate issues.

brinkman
Separate the two functions as they are indirectly related. Now, you already know how to modifiy the OEM bolt release so go for it. ....

On the modified rotary magazine, It is an after market product that has a little arm that hold the mag open after last round. For all the work I have done on these, I have never used one so not familiar with the interaction. I have only seen a picture of one. Most of the time, I can feel the last round or there after ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #7
nmbrinkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Separate the two functions as they are indirectly related.
I understood that they weren't related once he explained it. Ask my wife, my questions are never reduced to the lowest common denominator. I should of just asked "So I'll need an aftermarket mag to get the bolt to lock on empty?"

I'm a military guy (USMC '00-'08) and I'm my oldest is going to be about ready to learn how to safely shoot. I want to mod the rifle to operate like an AR (easy bolt release and lock open on empty) so I can teach them "Barney Style" like the Marines did me when I was a kid (18). Thanks for the help.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Pahoo

Got it !!

Quote:
Ask my wife, my questions are never reduced to the lowest common denominator.
Well, mine are and just ask my wife as it drivers her nuts. I guess I got that from being an Estimator/Planner or perhaps from the Navy. ...

Now then, it's been a number of years since I saw one of these after market modified magazine; so I'm not sure if they still make them. Seems to me that they were about $50.00 and perhaps others can shed some light. ..

Be Safe !!!