The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
frumious

FS: **SOLD** 6lbs IMR 4198 (north DFW suburbs)

SOLD

Hi All,

In my search for decent 45-70 loads I ended up buying an 8-lb jug of 4198 I didn't need. Turns out 3031 works just fine. Anyway, I have absolutely no need for this powder and would like to sell it.

I originally gave $139 for it from Powder Valley in February of this year (2012). Not to mention shipping and hazmat fee. There is a touch under 6lbs left in the jug (actually right at 41,935 grains, give or take) and I am willing to part with it for $100 even.

WAIT, NO...how about $75?

I will also throw in 180 cast LRNFP 405-grain .458-dia bullets from Missouri Bullet Co that I will no longer need (my rifle likes Penn bullets better). These bullets mic' out at .4585-.4588 and are separated into little boxes in .5 grain increments (6 boxes, 404.0-404.4, 404.5-404.9, etc.). They are lubed (in the grooves) and ready to load. These are Missouri's "#1 Buffalo" bullet. They have a beveled base.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this powder or these bullets. I have simply found a combination that works better for my rifle. Both the powder and the bullets have been kept indoors in an air-conditioned room 100% of the time since I bought them.

I will only do a face-to-face CASH transaction with someone in the DFW area. I live in the northern part of Carrollton, so north Dallas, Farmer's Branch, Carrollton, Richardson, Plano, Lewisville, Allen, Frisco, the Colony...these are all areas I will drive to in order to meet for the transaction. I work during the day so it will probably need to be an evening or weekend deal.

Please PM me if you are interested.

-cls

Last edited by frumious; July 6, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2
frumious

OK, OK, how about $75? $75, folks! That's how much 2 1/2 pounds would cost if purchased by the pound, retail. This is a steal! Still throwing in the bullets, too!

-cls
Old July 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Mobuck

I'd buy it but the only way it could be FTF is if we exchange pictures.
Old July 5, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
frumious

Well I'd be glad to ship anywhere in the lower 48 I guess, but I'd have to charge shipping and hazmat fees.

-cls
Old July 5, 2012, 05:29 PM   #5
jepp2

Quote:
Well I'd be glad to ship anywhere in the lower 48 I guess, but I'd have to charge shipping and hazmat fees.
It is my understanding that an individual that hasn't been trained in shipping of HAZ materials is not allowed to ship them. Feel free to correct this if you know otherwise. It has to do with the proper packaging, placards and requirements by the shipping company.
Old July 5, 2012, 06:57 PM   #6
David Bachelder

You must be certified by a common carrier (FedEx, UPS ... ) to ship HazMat. the online class is about $150.00 through FedEx, not sure what UPS charges. Also, you must be recertified every three years.
Old July 5, 2012, 09:53 PM   #7
frumious

Awesome. Forget shipping, then. F2F it is.

It doesn't seem that I will have any takers. Would someone help me out here and give me an idea why this deal is not attractive? Is it:

1. Worry about buying gunpowder from someone I don't know, or
2. This is not a good price, or
3. IMR 4198 is not that popular, or
4. Something else?

Just curious. I figure it is the obvious (#1). But if it is #2, then what *would* be a good price?

Thanks for looking, anyway

-cls
Old July 5, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

Well, Powder Valley has 8-lb jugs for $142, so taking 3/4 of that (since you have six pounds) would be $106. Your price of $75 is about 30% off that, so I think it's very fair. It may just be that there's no one here that both lives close enough to make it worthwhile and needs IMR 4198 right now.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd keep the price the same and give it a little more time.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Adamantium

Have you tried over at THR? They have a buy/sell/trade forum specifically for reloading components. Also texasguntrader.com is worth a shot too.

http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50

I would buy it in a heart beat if I lived in the DFW area but your challenge is going to be finding who needs that much of that powder and already has enough primers that they aren't going to have to put together a hazmat order anyway. 4198 is on the fast side but not too fast for 223 so it can't really be called a specialty powder. Good luck.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10
frumious

Man, thanks guys. I will keep it at $75 (including the bullets) and maybe post over on THR this weekend.

-cls
Old July 6, 2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Sport45

That's a good price. I'd jump on it for my .444 Marlin if I didn't already have more Tac and X-Terminator than I know what to do with. I even have a family member living near Keller Springs and the tollway who could meet you for the exchange...
Old July 6, 2012, 05:40 AM   #12
hodaka

Yes, if I lived closer to Dallas I would take it. I like 4198 for light bullets in my 223 and your price is good. Perhaps Craig's list in Dallas would work. I know they will not allow guns but I have seen brass and reloading hardware. Don't know about powder.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:45 AM   #13
frumious

Thanks for the Craigslist suggestion, but I'll probably stick with the forums. CL left a bad taste in my mouth when I tried to sell my Lee LoadMaster. My post was closed almost instantly and I got into a big argument with the mods on what constitutes a gun

-cls
Old July 6, 2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

You could always use it as an excuse to buy another gun and components so you would be able to use it.

I have a few boxes of ammo that I do not have a gun to use them in. I am trying to convince Auntie Buck that I should be allowed to buy another gun so I can shoot the stuff... No luck yet, but I am sure I will wear her down.

The price is a very good deal. If I lived closer to you, I would do a F2F.
Old July 6, 2012, 01:46 PM   #15
hornetguy

Hey... I just saw this.. let me check with my financial advisor (ok, boss) and see if I can swing it.
I'm in Allen so it won't be a problem...

EDIT: PM sent
Old July 6, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
frumious

Stick a fork in this one; looks like it is DONE. I will close the thread later tonight after the transaction actually completes.

-cls
Old July 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #17
frumious

SOLD.

I would close this thread but that option is not available to me in the thread tools. Mods, please close this thread, and maybe update the rules for the Gun Show, since we cannot close threads ourselves any more? Or is that just me

-cls