The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 2, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
hulley

Which .308 AR style to get?

Ok guys, I'm looking for a .308/7.62 AR style gun to buy. I'm very familiar with the AR15 but not so much in .308. I considered a 300BLK but I want to step up to a .308.

I plan on using this for hunting and some target work but not concerned with very long distances, maybe 500yrds.

I would like a 16-18" barrel, good trigger and be somewhat light with a collapsable stock. I know its gonna be heavier than my AR15s but I want to be able to lug this around in the woods and set up easily. Also mag availablity is a plus. Also I dont have a preference on DI or gas piston but whichever is more reliable.

I dont have a ton of money to spend but I'll spend more to get a quality piece.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Crow Hunter

Let me know when you find one.

I am looking for the same thing.

Good luck.
Old July 2, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
loose_holster_dan

lwrc or lmt would be my choices. surprisingly enough, weight seems to be almost as big of a price driver as precision parts. i love my rra operator, but even their elite operator is a bit heavy to carry around. 308 AR's cost boatloads more than 556. you can pretty much expect to pay 80% more for the same quality and features. also, you have to watch out with part compatibility. unlike the ar-15, the 308 ar platforms do not share parts. rra is notoriously bad for this.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 2, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
velocette

I can only suggest from my personal experience. I bought a DPMS LR 308B about 6 years ago. It was ordered by my dealer direct from DPMS with a JP trigger, 18" Cryo treated bull barrel, adjustable gas block & Hogue handgrip, slickside, no fwd assist. It came with a free floated foregrip / handguard & took 4 months for delivery. I mounted a 4 ~ 16 x 50 scope on it & have had fun ever since. It groups 5 rds consistently at 5/8" @ 100 yds with its favorite handload & at just over 1" with cheap Federal power shok ammo from Walmart @ $13.00 / box.
It is heavy at about 11 lbs. If I were to order the same gun for hunting & toting around on my back, I'd order a standard profile barrel to save the weight & use a smaller, lighter scope. Of all the things that you should consider, be absolutely certain to order yours with an upgraded trigger. The stock AR triggers generally are horrible or worse. The DPMS / Remington and most others all use the same magazines that are inexpensive (relatively) and readily available from DPMS or MagPul or Cproducts.
In the 8 years, the rifle has never jammed, failed, broken or caused any problems with over 2000 rds downrange. It is more accurate now than when it was new. The only change I have made is to switch the Hogue handgrip for a Magpul MOE+ which I like better & installed a slip on recoil pad. Total investment was a bit over $1500.00 including the ($375.00) scope. Definitely one of the best firearms investments I have ever made.

Roger
Old July 2, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
hulley

Quote:
also, you have to watch out with part compatibility. unlike the ar-15, the 308 ar platforms do not share parts. rra is notoriously bad for this.
Thats the main thing with my post. I've heard of compatibility issues with some while others are more of a "Standard". I want one more of a standard so spares/mags wouldnt be too hard to find (or costly).

Quote:
I can only suggest from my personal experience. I bought a DPMS LR 308B about 6 years ago. It was ordered by my dealer direct from DPMS with a JP trigger, 18" Cryo treated bull barrel, adjustable gas block & Hogue handgrip, slickside, no fwd assist. It came with a free floated foregrip / handguard & took 4 months for delivery. I mounted a 4 ~ 16 x 50 scope on it & have had fun ever since. It groups 5 rds consistently at 5/8" @ 100 yds with its favorite handload & at just over 1" with cheap Federal power shok ammo from Walmart @ $13.00 / box.
It is heavy at about 11 lbs. If I were to order the same gun for hunting & toting around on my back, I'd order a standard profile barrel to save the weight & use a smaller, lighter scope. Of all the things that you should consider, be absolutely certain to order yours with an upgraded trigger. The stock AR triggers generally are horrible or worse. The DPMS / Remington and most others all use the same magazines that are inexpensive (relatively) and readily available from DPMS or MagPul or Cproducts.
Good looking rifle! I want something similar except an adjustable stock and a threaded barrel.
Old July 2, 2012, 02:08 PM   #6
loose_holster_dan

apparently the elite operator wasn't as heavy as i thought at 9.1lbs. gotta love that half-quad. my standard operator will easily achieve 1/2 groups at 100yds with pmc ammo and the right shooter. i have almost no experience and shot these two groups this weekend. each has 5 rounds in it. the standard operator feels extremely heavy at 10.2lbs. maybe it's my glass, or maybe it's the extra long barrel.

Old July 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7
chack

deleted

Last edited by chack; July 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:11 AM   #8
rugerdawg

I picked up a .308 CMMG 16" sst lightweight and aside from a small issue with their new two-stage trigger the gun has performed flawlessly. It consistently shoots groups in the .6 - .7 moa range with premium ammo off the bench. I have owned 3 other ar-10 configurations from armalite and all shot well also.
I have added a magpul ubr stock, a heavier buffer and a spike's dyna comp to bring the recoil down, as it is much lighter than my other ar-10's. I will change out the trigger eventually to a timney or geissle ssa which I have used in several other builds and feel are a better trigger. CMMG does offer a heavy 16" barrel and an 18" also.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:20 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I would like a 16-18" barrel, good trigger and be somewhat light with a collapsable stock. I know its gonna be heavier than my AR15s but I want to be able to lug this around in the woods and set up easily. Also mag availablity is a plus.
The new ArmaLite AR-10A carbine. It is a SR-25 magazine, the defacto standard, rifle that weighs in at 7.75 lbs, two stage trigger, 16" double lapped, chrome lined barrel. Life time warranty and under $1600.

In that same price range the CMMG MK3. It's a SR-25 style with a 16 & 18" barrels, probably around 8.5 lbs, more with the PRS some models come with.

When you start hanging optics and accessories on these 7.62 AR's they get heavy in a hurry.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #10
hulley

Quote:
The new ArmaLite AR-10A carbine. It is a SR-25 magazine, the defacto standard, rifle that weighs in at 7.75 lbs, two stage trigger, 16" double lapped, chrome lined barrel. Life time warranty and under $1600.
This sounds like what I'm looking for. I thought I heard something about the new AR-10s that took a "standard" mag but wasnt sure. Your right about scopes, they can be pretty heavy.

Does the AR-10 take the same lower parts kit as an AR-15? I know I would have a different trigger but parts kits would be nice to have on hand.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:18 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

all these can use magpul pmags:
DPMS
KAC SR25 Variants
LMT LM8/MWS
GAP10
Larue OBR/PredatOBR
ArmaLite AR-10A
CMMG MK3
KAC
Old July 3, 2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Basement-Gunsmith-Z

You didn't specify price, so i assume you aren't on an extremely tight budget. I will suggest the pof-usa p308 if you are looking for a .308 ar. They are reliable, rugged, accurate, and pretty light. The come with a Geissele super semi auto trigger. Everything is np3 plated, so no lube needed. Easiest ar to clean i have owned. It has a nice lightweight piston system at only a few ounces. I believe they weigh around 8.6 pounds unloaded. Accuracy on them is amazing. I can hit a penny at 100 yards about every time, and when i miss, it's all my fault... not the gun's. And the barrel's life is around 25000+ rounds, which is a huge bonus, and it's free floated. If you only want to go out to around 500 yards, you may want to consider a 6.5 grendel as well. If you decide you want 6.5 grendel you can just buy a new upper, or parts to put in your ar15 and save some money.
Old July 3, 2012, 07:36 PM   #13
MOshooter65202

I've been very happy with my DPMS LR308 AP4 carbine I purchase 7 or 8 years ago,for a AR style 308 it's pretty light,free floated 16" barrel,collapsable stock,and very reliable and accurate.

Old July 3, 2012, 11:06 PM   #14
brmfan

+ 1x100 POF!!
Just put about 400 Prvi Partisan through mine and barely had any fouling on the bcg. Was also able to pick off spent 12 guage shells @ 100 with ease. It's not as sleek as other designs but in terms of technology and design it is a masterpiece! As mentioned earlier it is also bolt-gun accurate due to a button rifled hand lapped Rock Creek 5R barrel!

Last edited by brmfan; July 4, 2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old July 4, 2012, 06:24 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulley
Does the AR-10 take the same lower parts kit as an AR-15? I know I would have a different trigger but parts kits would be nice to have on hand.
Yes and no. Most the springs and detents are the same, the FCG is the same. Some may use a different hammer spring, but the safety, hammer, trigger, disco, and disco spring are the same as AR15 parts.

You well see a different magazine release and bolt stop with the different brands, these are proprietary to the specific brand. The RE's and/or buffers are different to compensate for the carriers half inch longer length. The pivot pin and take down pin are larger in the 7.62 AR's. Barrel nuts are proprietary and this effects what after market hand guard well fit.

If you get the ArmaLite they offer a $10 spring and detent kit for spares.
Old July 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #16
tobnpr

FNAR

But does not have the collapsible stock.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/fi...49&mid=FNM0176
Old July 4, 2012, 11:27 PM   #17
riggins_83

I've been very impressed with the CMMG rifle; free floated bull barrel and quite accurate.
Old July 5, 2012, 10:54 PM   #18
TimW77

.308W AR type compatibility

"unlike the ar-15, the 308 ar platforms do not share parts. rra is notoriously bad for this."

This is internet BS...

Because ArmaLite and ONLY ArmaLite "owns" the AR-10, all other manufacturers of "AR-10 type" rifles MUST make enough changes to the design so it is not considered a copy of the AR-10.

This is true of everyone and not just RRA.

The only difference between RRA and these others is that RRA is honest about the changes, their website clearly says there are differences...

T.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:03 AM   #19
madcratebuilder

Quote:
"unlike the ar-15, the 308 ar platforms do not share parts. rra is notoriously bad for this."

This is internet BS...

Because ArmaLite and ONLY ArmaLite "owns" the AR-10, all other manufacturers of "AR-10 type" rifles MUST make enough changes to the design so it is not considered a copy of the AR-10.

This is true of everyone and not just RRA.

The only difference between RRA and these others is that RRA is honest about the changes, their website clearly says there are differences...

T.
Not really. The ArmaLite AR-10B and Noveske N6 use identical parts. The manufacturer only was to use a different "name" or roll mark. Only ArmaLite can use AR-10, only DPMS can use LR-308 and so on.

Different magazines well require the manufacturer to design the parts slightly different. The parts in the ArmaLite AR-10B (M14 mags) and the ArmaLite AR-10A (SR-25 mags) are different. The uppers, lowers, and many LPK parts are different.

The main reason that the 7.62 AR's have a parts interchange issue is all the different magazine styles used. M14, FAL, G3 and SR-25 mags. There's a great FAQ at ar15.com in the AR-10 section that covers these compatibility issues.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:29 AM   #20
Logs

I bought a Bushmaster ORC last year for $899 at Sportsman's Warehouse for the price. I thought the recoil and accuracy wasn't to my liking so I sold it. I think the heavier Armalites might be worth looking into. I went with the M1A and love it.
Old July 7, 2012, 07:20 AM   #21
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs
I bought a Bushmaster ORC last year for $899 at Sportsman's Warehouse for the price. I thought the recoil and accuracy wasn't to my liking so I sold it. I think the heavier Armalites might be worth looking into. I went with the M1A and love it.
I agree the carbine stocked 7.62 AR's seem to have more recoil. I have a PRS on my N6 and the extra buffer weight keeps recoil pretty mild, and it's a heavy rifle also.

Shooting the same SA surplus I think my M1A's have a bit more recoil than the N6. Hard to tell I'm having so much fun The N6 would be the last rifle I would part with.
Old July 7, 2012, 05:39 PM   #22
RangerHAAF

I own and recommend the Rock River LAR 8/A4. It's accurate, durable and shoots 1 moa out of the box. I use mine to hunt at night with an illuminating laser unit attached.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=255

http://www.lasergenetics.com/nd3-sub...r_hunting.aspx
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old July 7, 2012, 10:15 PM   #23
oneshot onekill

For accuracy? The best is made by GA Precision. I believe it's called. GAP-10.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:32 PM   #24
mohr308

I own the RRA Elite operator in the 5.56, nothing but an awesome rifle. My good friend owns a Armalite ar-10 and it has been nothing but problems for him right off the shelf. His rifle spent 3 weeks back at the factory just to get it working. Oh yeah, his rifle has a lot of slop between the upper and lower receiver and my RRA is nice and snug. He told me he is going to buy an RRA in .308 and sell his Armalite.

Last edited by mohr308; July 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #25
golfnutrlv

Don't know what your budget is...

Consider one of these:

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...?idCategory=25

I have had a chance to handle one of these, as they are made in the northwest. They are awesome. One of the best you can buy. The .308 version ways only slightly more than a AR-15. I was amazed by the light weight.

They take SR-25/Pmags, piston driven, and high quality.

Price wise, I have seen them around here in Eastern Wa for $2,189.

Enjoy,
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.