The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 29, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Hosty79

H&K USP .40 compact or Ruger SR40c

I currently have an H&K USP compact .40 and I'm looking for something a little smaller and lighter for concealed carry. I found the Ruger Sr40c and really like the look and feel of it but would I be gaining anything over the H&K? I'd have to sell it to get the Ruger. So what do you guys think is it worth it?
Old June 29, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
ScotchMan

I would never in a million years sell a USPc to get a Ruger SR40c. The HK is a world-class, time-tested design. The Ruger is good, but is in an altogether different class.

I do understand your dilemma. I used to own a USPc in .45, and I considered it too big to conceal as well. I also owned a SR9c which concealed well.

If you like the HK, take a look at their P2000sk in .40. It is roughly the same size as the Ruger, probably a touch shorter. I believe it has the same capacity as well. You can get it in DA/SA or HK's wonderful LEM trigger.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493741

If you only have the money for one, I'd trade the USPc on a P2000sk. Another possibility is working on being able to conceal the USPc. What belt and holster are you using?

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 29, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Hosty79

I'm using a cheapie Uncle Mikes IWB holster in the small of my back with a regular belt, the HK feels too big to conceal at 3 oclock like I'd like to.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:38 AM   #4
ScotchMan

Well you probably know what I'm going to say then, don't you Cheap holster and cheap belt, you get what you pay for.

The belt is really, really important. By "regular belt" if you mean off the rack, not a gun belt, that is your problem. You can get a 5.11 belt with a stiffener in it for $19.99 at any Gander Mountain or Cabela's, that will be a huge improvement. Then order a Beltman belt, and use the 5.11 until it comes.

The holster might be ok, but I think you can do better there too. I would try a High Noon Mr. Softy, or a Bare Asset if you like cant. They are $28.95, link below.

Then try carrying the USPc at 3:30 to 5:00. 3:00 is tough cause your hip pushes it out. Slightly behind there, the gun nestles into that natural pocket in your body. I think you might have better luck there. But with a junk belt, the whole thing is just going to flop out regardless of where you put it.

I really think even if you get a smaller gun, you're going to have trouble until you get some good gear. Even though a good belt and a good holster is expensive, it'll be cheaper than buying a new gun. I think that is your best bet.

There are lots of good holster and belt makers, these are just the ones I like. As a rule of thumb, if you can bend the belt in half by squeezing it in your hand, it is not suitable for carry. It should be thick enough that you can not 'roll' it with all your strength.

The holster needs to carry the gun close to your body, have good retention (you should be able to turn it upside down and have the gun stay in it), and completely cover the trigger guard. Most of us buy several holsters till we find the right one, but I can pretty safely say the Uncle Mike's is not going to be the right choice for you.

www.thebeltman.net
www.highnoonholsters.com

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 29, 2012, 10:58 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
The belt is really, really important. By "regular belt" if you mean off the rack, not a gun belt, that is your problem. You can get a 5.11 belt with a stiffener in it for $19.99 at any Gander Mountain or Cabela's, that will be a huge improvement. Then order a Beltman belt, and use the 5.11 until it comes.
I think you can have it both ways. My local trading post sells belts made by White Gate leather. Solid piece of leather, double stitched, in both 1.5 and 1.75 widths with good thickness. I use them for guns and holsters and they work great. I think a high quality leather belt for a heavy gun is a must IMO, something much more rigid than a dress belt so it holds the gun firm. I guess my point is you might be able to find something locally that will get the job done.

As for holsters, I love Crossbreed Supertucks. I think they're a bit overpriced and there are bunches of alternatives these days from White Hat Holsters, to Theis Holsters, to even Galco King Tuks. But that style of holster, and I actually prefer it without the combat cut as I find it more comfortable but still fast, lets me carry just about anything comfortably. There is a waiting period though.
Old June 29, 2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Hosty79

Thanks guys for the info, I guess I should look around for a better holster.
Old June 29, 2012, 04:46 PM   #7
mes228

SR Ruger

Not bashing Ruger as I really like their products. However, Before buying a SR series Ruger I suggest you check the trigger for trigger pull and trigger reset(the SR9 had the worst trigger I've pulled). I did not even fire the SR9 (just dry fire with mag in) and found it totally unacceptable. Then I traded it for the SR9c. The SR9c had a better trigger but the trigger would not reset after firing reliably. I liked the pistol and found the SR9c accurate. People seem to like them and I usually like Ruger products a lot. I guess I was just very un lucky with the two I owned. I'm sure yours will work well, just check before buying.
Old June 30, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Hosty79

Today I tried moving the current holster to about 5 oclock and it is more comfortable to carry and just as concealed. I am still shopping around for a new holster and belt though. Thanks for all the good info everyone.