The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Martian_Summer

Smith & Wesson SD VE series

I'm in the market for a new nightstand piece.

Anyone have experience with this gun? I'm thinking of checking out the 40 cal version. From what I gather, they fall between the Sigma and the M&P in terms of quality. The Sigma has had plenty of negative reviews, but the M&P has pretty much become the gold standard for S&W, so I'm a little confused. Anyway, the MSRP on it is only less than 400 bucks, and the shop near me has them for 340. Are these things worth a damn?

Thanks.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
willmc33

I just picked one up today for $279.99 + tax. The one thing people had said about them was they had better triggers then the Sigmas and to me they dont feel that much different. It is not quite as stiff and long but it does break cleaner then the Sigmas I have had. For some reason down here they are cheaper then Sigmas so I had to go ahead and grab one. I think the grip on the Sigma is alittle more ergonomic. The SD40VE has swells on both sides of the grip that the Sigma didnt have. To me it looks like a pretty Sigma I will be firing it off tomorrow and see what I really think about it. Looks nice though. Hell I havent even taken it down and looked inside yet.
Old June 28, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
plouffedaddy

I shot the previous SD version a good bit in both 9mm and 40. It's a good gun for the money IMO. The trigger breaks around 8lbs and is usable with training/practice. Apex makes a kit that will help with it a lot if you desire a better pull.

But, the best thing about these guns IMO is that I've never had a failure while shooting one. They go bang every time---exactly what I'd require for a HD gun.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Martian_Summer

"The trigger breaks around 8lbs and is usable with training/practice."

Eight pounds? That seems excessive. I don't mind double action only for an HD gun, but an eight pound trigger break better at least be smooth.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:26 PM   #5
willmc33

Its heavy but it is pretty smooth and it breaks clean. I would compare it to a Smith & Wesson 642 trigger I guess smooth but stiff.
Old June 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #6
carguychris

The SD VE series are basically Sigmas with prettier slide machining, different grip texture, slightly different magazines, and the same sights as the full-size and compact M&P. Although AFAIK it hasn't been officially announced, S&W is widely expected to drop the Sigmas; the price difference is almost inconsequential, so it's a virtual certainty that the SD VEs are intended to be replacements.

Recent VE-series Sigmas are widely viewed as extremely reliable and reasonably accurate pistols that happen to have stiff triggers. The reliability problems that plagued previous Sigma generations have pretty well been eliminated.

FWIW S&W is advertising the SD VE trigger as new and redesigned, but I have not seen independent confirmation whether it is fundamentally improved or simply lightened.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:12 PM   #7
LockedBreech

The fact that these things are $329 on Bud's is singing a siren song to my wallet. Looks like the Ruger P95 might have some competition.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS
Old June 28, 2012, 11:16 PM   #8
bdb benzino

I had an SD9 when they were first released. I thought it was money well spent as far as being more expensive than a Sigma. The SD has a standard picatinny rail, steel sights, better looking slide, and the trigger pull on mine was WAY better than Sigma's I have owned and shot.
The new SDVE's will be a complete steal at under $300! Super reliable as well.
Old June 29, 2012, 03:55 AM   #9
cocojo

Believe me you can't go wrong with the sd model. Shoots excellent, handles excellent and is totaly reliable, it's a fabulous pistol. I'm a glock guy and i just love this sd9. Some say the trigger is heavy. Eight lbs is not a heavy trigger and when it's smooth and clean it's right where it should be for defensive purposes. My trigger gives me no probems but people who never used revolvers seem to complain if their triggers are not 5 lbs or less. Defense guns should be slightly heavier for that reason. The trigger makes no difference for me in accuracy speed or anything when qualifying. I own the original sd and it's a great handgun. By the way it's a good thing that most of the people who complain how heavy an eight lb trigger is didn't grow up when revolvers were it and the triggers ranged between 12 and 15 lbs. Back then an eight pound trigger would have been a delight to shoot. Let me just say enjoy the gun because it is that nice and absolutely wonderful to shoot, you will love it.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:49 PM   #10
willmc33

I just bought one yesterday. Read my range report. Stay away from this pistol.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:17 PM   #11
bdb benzino

Quote:
I just bought one yesterday. Read my range report. Stay away from this pistol.
Because you had one bad experience with an otherwise nornmally considered "reliable" pistol, we should all stay away? I don't think so. All this is evidence of, is how busy the gun manufacturers are at this point in time. Sure it sucks and it should have been avoided, but S&W has a good reliability record with all hand guns for the most part. So this pretty much just stacks up to a rare lemon that all companies have at times of "balls to the wall production", definately does'nt warrant a Stay away warning. YMMV but I have had multiple S&W semi-auto's including the one in question, and have never had one malfunction!
Old June 29, 2012, 06:28 PM   #12
willmc33

Your preaching to the choir. I have always trusted Smith & Wesson and own 5 of their bottom feeders and have owned more. They have always been reliable and that is why I continue to buy them. If it had been something like a few malfunctions it would have been easier to stomach but that many in 200 rounds is crazy and something I never expected.. They are about the only manufacturer I will stay loyal to. That being said yes given this one incident with this one gun in this one space at this one time I will advise everybody I can to stay away from this pistol. If you want one gof or it its a free country and your money but with QC off that bad its a decent chance you will get one like I did.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
gun nut

I have a used one that works fine. But I guess that isn't always the case. So far all of my s&ws have been reliable. (semi auto & revolver).
Old June 29, 2012, 09:37 PM   #14
cocojo

I have to say I agree with benzino on this. One problem gun out of how may thousands of SD's out there with no problems at all is not a stay away gun. My Glock 23 is a problem but there are hundreds of thousands of 23's out there without any problems what so ever, so I would not hesitate to purchase either weapon. I really wish I could have shot this gun with you, the amount of malfunctions is crazy. Something is wrong somewhere. I'm tempted to go buy a SD in 40 just to test for that price.