The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 25, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
rebs

2 stage trigger ?

With a 2 stage trigger, do you pull it and it stops at the second stage and then you pull it again or can you just pull it all the way to fire in one motion ? Like if you want to rapid fire, can you just keep pulling it ?
Old June 25, 2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Edward429451

Yes, two stage triggers function just like stock AR triggers. There's a little take up and then not much more fires it. Developing a straight pull technique is a good idea to me and just be slowed down for precision fire.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Skadoosh

You pull straight through.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Jimro

Depends on the stages and what you are shooting at. For High Power you'll take up the slack on the first stage, usually 2.5 to 3 pounds worth, and as your front sight drifts to where you want it you keep taking up slack until the trigger breaks.

If you aren't shooting for competition like that, then pulling straight through (like with a stock military trigger) is fine. I don't take up the slack on an M4 trigger, the trigger has 6 distinct mating surfaces so takeup is never consistent to me.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old June 25, 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
sholling

When shooting for accuracy a good 2-stage trigger feels a bit like a crisp breaking single action handgun trigger with a long take-up. The difference is the pull weight, for example a 4-1/2lb Geissele SSA has a very smooth 2-2.5 1st stage (the long "take-up") and when it reaches the 2nd stage you'll meet what feels like a super crisp 2-1/2lb trigger. In other words it's a 4-1/2lb trigger that feels like a crisp 2-1/2lb trigger when squeezed slowly. It's just a safer way of producing a lower perceived trigger pull. If you're in a hurry and need to send several rounds down range as fast as possible then you just pull straight through and it will feel like a fast 4-1/2lb trigger. A Geissele SSA is absolutely no slower than a single-stage trigger.

Your mileage may vary with cheaper 2-stage triggers. Some are light some not so light. Some are crisp and some not so crisp. Geissle makes precision triggers.

Last edited by sholling; June 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old June 26, 2012, 06:46 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Yes, two stage triggers function just like stock AR triggers. There's a little take up and then not much more fires it. Developing a straight pull technique is a good idea to me and just be slowed down for precision fire.
The sear locations are very different on single stage and two stage triggers.

The standard AR15 trigger is a single stage trigger. The sear angle may make it feel similar to a two stage on some of them, you feel a increase in pull just before it breaks. I've modified dozens of single stage triggers like this with a simple change of sear angle.

On a two stage you well feel the first stage travel come to a hard stop when the hammer hook contacts the disco. Then you need additional pressure to overcome the disco spring for the second stage to break. A typical two stage in service rifle comp well have 3lbs+/- on the first stage, with 1.5+/- additional on the second stage. To your finger and brain this feels light a 1.5 trigger.

When you reach the hard stop of the first stage there should be zero creep from this point. Pull the additional weight and the trigger breaks with out any additional movement.