The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
CobraEleven

Beretta M9A1 .22 conversion kit

I'm purchasing a new handgun, and since I'm USAF, I can breakdown and reassemble the M9 blindfolded and am very familiar with the manual for arms for the weapon. Since my wife has never fired a weapon in her life, I want to make sure she is familiar and comfortable with the pistol. To save money in the process of making her familiar (and for myself when I just want to go plinking), I was looking at the .22 cal conversion kit from Beretta.

Has anyone used it personally? I have a buddy who has issues with swapping barrels on principle, but he doesn't have any stories or evidence that it is a problem. Looking for anyone with experience to let me know if it's worth my money to buy the kit. I can get a .22 pistol in another make, but I like the idea of my wife being able to be comfortable with the manual of arms for the M9A1 without having to spend $1 a round.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Dragline45

I would say skip the conversion kit and pick up a Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark for the same price, two guns in my mind is always better than one, even with a conversion kit. 9mm ammo is cheap enough these days to get your wife familiar with the gun without breaking the bank. Plus if she really likes the .22 maybe she can keep it as her bedside gun since you will most likely have the M9.
Old June 25, 2012, 01:05 AM   #3
warningshot

The concept of caliber conversions on pistols as well as rifles has never caught on in America. The idea is popular in Europe where the number of gun ownership is limited. God Bless America & 2nd Amendment.

Women don't like big pistols. Men like big pistols. It doesn't matter what caliber that M9 is in, .22 or otherwise, your wife 'ain't' buying.

The Ruger SR22 looks and feels great. And it works.
Old June 25, 2012, 01:39 AM   #4
surveyor

it depends...
i have no problems with caliber conversions..

but the host has to fit the user,as grip and thickness, the reach to the trigger and controls, and the weight of the frame...grip angle, etc
otherwise its better to get something that fits.

now if its for you,and the 92 fits you and you want the conversion its a diffrent story.

my wife likes a cz 75, and enjoys it in 9mm, so it made sense for the conversion..and she likes it as much as a dedicated 22..

but the cz fit her hands well. and she likes the grip angle, reach to trigger and controls, weight, balance, etc..

if her hands are similar size as yours it would give you a better idea,

as a plinker for you, sure, as a pistol she will shoot, i'm not sure..
as it may not fit well.

i have not used one as i don't have a 92..

Last edited by surveyor; June 25, 2012 at 03:19 AM.