The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 23, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
RH

Price of SKS thse days?

I've looked at "sport" AR's and Mini's and I think I've settled on an SKS as entry point into rifles, with some all-around capabilities that I desire. Local pawn shop (central FL) has em for $350. I know guns, especially rifle or mil calibers are flying off the shelves, but is this a fair price? What have y'all seen in your area?

$350 is about he same price as a new lever Marlin 336 around here, and I figure the SKS can do all the 336 can as far as hunting (the 7.62 gox39 having the same ballistics plus longer range than 30-30) plus take care of "other" needs, should he need arise.

Thoughts?
Old June 23, 2012, 04:59 PM   #2
BlackJackID

That is about the going rate for an SKS these days..gone are the days of 100dollar SKS's, unfortunately. And your dead right about the rifles capabilities.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Shotgun693

You'll cry but years ago I could buy an SKS for $89 and a box of hunting ammo for $2. The good ol' days.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Screwball

I paid a little more for my Cosmoline covered Yugo (M59/66 A1).

If it is in good condition, it is likely worth it. Can't really comparison shop on surplus rifles, especially ones that are beginning to dry up.
Old June 23, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
arch308

I don't agree with your statement about the 7.63x39 being ballistically better than the 30-30. The 30-30 uses much heavier bullets at apx. the same velocity.
That being said I do like the SKS as a very reliable weapon and feel comfortably well armed with one, although it's a bare minimum for hunting in my book. In good condition $350 is probably a fair price today.
Old June 23, 2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Technosavant

$350 retail seems fair for one that's in quite good condition. I'd consider that too high for one with a dinged up stock, dark bore, or (in the case of the Yugo 59/66) a corroded gas valve.

It's a good utility rifle... maybe not an ideal one, but even at $350 you'll be hard pressed to find something more reliable or more useful.

As said, though, the days of cheap ones are over; the Chinese ones went for $80ish back in the day, and it wasn't that long ago when you could get a new condition one in cosmo for $140 (that's how I got mine).
Old June 23, 2012, 09:54 PM   #7
ritepath

I paid 79 for my first one in 91... ammo was 2 bucks a box.

I got lucky a few years back my BIL gave me one. I'll not be selling this one. In fact I bought a TAPCO stock and put on it, and now I bought a take-off wood stock to replace the beat, cut, and hacked stock it come with.
Old June 24, 2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

what country is it from? for a norinco or a russian thats a good deal. for a yugo you could probably find cheaper.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:56 AM   #9
tahunua001

these days it's about right. ten years ago you could pick them up for 100 bucks and ammo was as cheap as 22 long rifle. now 7.62x39 is more than 223 so the real time to grab an SKS has kind of come and gone but I guess it's better to get them while they're still lukewarm instead of waiting until ammo is over 500 bucks per thousand and the guns cost as much as a springfield.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.

Last edited by tahunua001; June 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10
jimbob86

$350?

I feel pretty good about the Yugo M59/66 that I scooped up at the LaVista, Nebraska Cabela's last fall then! $199, 9 Bucks worth of paint thinner to get the Cosmoline off, $40 for a Murray's Gunsmithing SKS firing pin, and a paperclip to fix the gas valve leak .....

They had them on sale for a week and sold all they had, IIRC.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old June 25, 2012, 11:25 AM   #11
jclayto

That's probably about right these days. I picked up my Russian SKS for $99 back in the 90's and my 59/66 for $99 a few years back. I miss those days.
Old June 25, 2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

The Marlin would be more accurate, and the 30-30 has the option of a heavier bullet. Also sporting ammo for the 30-30 from a good quality manufacturer is much easier to find. If an entry level rifle with hunting as one of the requirements is what you are looking for the Marlin is by far a better choice. Also in some states the game laws don't allow the 10 round magazine of the SKS. Aftermarket 5 round detachable magazines are available, but quite often don't work well. Also, unless you change all the other parts required for 922r compliance it is illegal to change to a detachable mag. With the cost of the modifications required you are getting up to a good entry level bolt action riflw with many more caliber options.
If the primary purpose for the rifle is a range blaster with hunting as just an option the SKS makes an OK alternative, but just OK, not the best.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 26, 2012, 01:16 AM   #13
rmocarsky

curiously

What do you guys think an SKS will be going for in 10 years?

Rmocarsky
Old June 26, 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Technosavant

Quote:
It's hard to say.

I'd expect they will remain about half of what a budget AR would run or 60-70% of a Mini series rifle. Reason being, they're never going to being more than what a new in box rifle with actual factory support will bring. They also will tend to stay lower than the AK pattern rifles as well; if AKs stay in the $600ish range, it's going to be something of a cap on what the SKS might pull in.

Then you have the fact that overseas supplies have pretty well dried up. With the ban on Chinese imports we just aren't seeing new condition SKSes showing up. So the existing supplies of the SKS are all essentially "used" and only getting more so as their owners shoot them. It may well be built like a brick outhouse, but even the most resilient design has a given service life.

And we have not even begun thinking about exactly what kind of SKS we're talking about. The collectors are only going to be interested in ones that haven't been bubba'd up to being a poor man's AK. That supply is shrinking, so those will likely retain their value better than the ones that have had the Tapco and ATI catalogs visited upon them. The tactical'd ones will vary wildly in price... few people will be that eager to drop much on them because there's no telling if it will actually function properly.

So, with all that said, here's my guess: the ones in good collector condition (good bores, good physical condition, hasn't been modded) will likely increase in price along with anything else. I'd even expect them to get to $500-600 if the price of everything else goes up. The ones that have been modded out will probably remain well under those, with the value depending on the gullibility of the buyer and the quality of the conversion, but likely $300-400 (again, if the price of everything else continues to rise).

So if you're looking for one, I'd probably hit up some gun shows while they can still be found at fairly reasonable prices.
Old June 26, 2012, 09:54 AM   #15
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmocarsky View Post

Rmocarsky
Probably double from now, if I had to make a guess. A lot of people are modifying them, and I really don't see too many more being imported.

Personally, I really don't care about that. Guns are not investments to me. If I don't want it anymore, I sell. However, it isn't that common with me. Living in New Jersey, transferring guns blows... especially handguns. The only guns I sold we're because I replaced them with something more suited to its role (Mosin Nagant M44 and mid-war Walther P38). I rarely have impulse buys, and usually really know what I'm looking for.
Old June 26, 2012, 11:07 AM   #16
tahunua001

Quote:
a fairly close analogy might be the enfield number 4 rifles. their prices have stayed pretty constant over the years with the enfields being just a few more dollars but in the last year and a half enfields have jumped from 300 in good shape to 450 in many cases in good shape. as soon as the importers start having to work to bring these guns they start running the prices up regularly because they know the supply is running low. the same has happened to the AK but in much more rapid file. 3 years ago you could get a bottom barrel AK for 350 dollars. now it's next to impossible to find one for under $600. the SKS was not manufactured by as many countries in nearly the same numbers as the AK47 and it's clones/variants. odds are that the more SKS get bought up and bubba'd the faster prices are going to go up and the military correct guns will be more highly sought after by collectors. right now all the rage seems to be enfields and springfields with many of the mausers, mannlichers, Garands, and harpers ferries already gone and off the market. what military surplus guns are going to be netting $800 when people can't get those enfields or springfields anymore? just food for thought.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 26, 2012, 01:21 PM   #17
chadio

Saw a Chinese Norinco for private sale locally at $275.

LGS has a gorgeous Russian for $499 and a Norinco Paratrooper for $369.
Old June 28, 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
jimbob86

Quote:
Whatever you can barter for it.

The U.S. Dollar in it's current form will good for wallpaper...... not much else.

Old June 28, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Nico Testosteros

Jimbob, you need to have more faith in your country.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:04 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

$350 is about right.

I bought a Russian SKS 1954 Tula for $89.00 several years ago. Awesome gun and yes, I'm gloating.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:25 PM   #21
robertsig

I paid $500 for one last month but it was in phenomenal condition. It was a Russian one too.
Old June 28, 2012, 06:38 PM   #22
laytonj1

I just sold my 1956, last year production Russian. It was complete, all numbers matching and in excellent condition. I listed it for $375. It took two weeks to sell, and for $350.

Maybe it a regional thing, but those of you paying much more than $250 for a non Russian are paying too much.

Jim
Old June 28, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
m.p.driver

The last sks i bought was an Albanian for $69,and $79 for 1440 rounds.
Old June 28, 2012, 07:29 PM   #24
chack

I have a couple SKSs I'm selling here in Fl:
1) Norinco SKS $300
2) Soviet SKS $450

I PM'd you...
Old June 28, 2012, 07:41 PM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
Jimbob, you need to have more faith in your country.
Sorry, after the Supremes said I MUST buy a particular product if I am breathing, I have little faith in the country as it is. This is not the Country I grew up in.

Get an SKS now, for the simple fact that is a cheap reliable platform for th e7.62x39 cartridge. More importantly, get AMMO.

They'll print more Dollars, count on it. The supply of ammunition from far away lands may dry up at any time. Happiness is havin enough, so get plenty.