The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 08:45 AM   #26
wpsdlrg

Sigs are just as they've always been.

It's only that some people are PO'ed at them for introducing such "new age" designs as the P250, as well as other odd forays such as the "diamond plate" finish, etc.

"How DARE they mess with TRADITION !!!" (that sort of thing)

So, those PO'ed types spread rumours based on their narrow-minded view. It's as simple as that.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:17 PM   #27
KyJim

Quote:
ive been tempted to pick one of those up from cdnn myself. I like everything about it except the 6 round capacity.
The shorter grip frame helps with concealability but you can use standard 8 round mags. I bought an X-grip adapter to use with a spare mag. http://www.topgunsupply.com/x-grip-sig_p245.html
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #28
DasGuy

I have a P220 SAO compact that I bought from CDNN. It's a great gun and what I've been carrying during the summer.

It's really an unbeatable deal. They're selling them for half price of what it originally sold for.

Old September 19, 2012, 07:14 PM   #29
ghost556

honestly i'll never understand why anyone would want or need a thumb safety on a carry pistol.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #30
WVsig

Quote:
Sigs are just as they've always been.

It's only that some people are PO'ed at them for introducing such "new age" designs as the P250, as well as other odd forays such as the "diamond plate" finish, etc.

"How DARE they mess with TRADITION !!!" (that sort of thing)

So, those PO'ed types spread rumours based on their narrow-minded view. It's as simple as that.
This is simply not true. Look at what has changed in a Sig P226 built today vs one built the old W. German way. There have been a lot of changes and with the exception of the stainless steel slide & nitron finish, which are points of debate as to being an advantage or disadvantage, you cannot sight a change in the current pistol that is a improvement. I however can sight many which are examples of cheapening of the pistol which lowered its production cost while the retail price continued to rise.

If you do not know your past then you cannot know your future or your present.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old September 19, 2012, 08:30 PM   #31
WVsig

Quote:
It's really an unbeatable deal. They're selling them for half price of what it originally sold for.
If you like the configuration then they are a great deal but the reality is that they are at CDNN because they never sold at the original price.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old September 20, 2012, 08:36 AM   #32
KyJim

Quote:
honestly i'll never understand why anyone would want or need a thumb safety on a carry pistol.
Really? If you prefer a SAO pistol (which I do) and carry cocked (which I do) it only makes sense to use a thumb safety to also make sure it's "locked." Highly dangerous otherwise.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:44 AM   #33
KyJim

Quote:
If you like the configuration then they are a great deal but the reality is that they are at CDNN because they never sold at the original price.
And that's the mystery to me. I see posts where people diss the reliability of the 1911 as a carry gun (which is a gross exaggeration) but say they like them at the range because of ergos and SAO trigger. It seemed the Sig SAO would appeal to this crowd but it hasn't. That leads me to believe these folks are really scared of carrying SAO and use the "unreliability" argument as an excuse.

And I'll repeat, I mostly carry a1911 when weather and clothing permits. However, a I like a little variety when carrying --- so long as the manual of arms remains the same (SAO, frame mounted safety, etc) and this Sig scratches that itch.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:53 AM   #34
jimbob86

+1 KyJim.

How's the trigger pull on this?

The greatest thing about the 1911 is the trigger: Short, crisp, straight back, imperceptable reset .... as opposed to all the SIGwhatever triggers I've ever pressed*, which I found to be longer, heavier, grittier, and swing in an arc..... I've never tried the 220SAO, but I'm pretty sure it does not go straight back.....

I don't understand why anyone would fear carrying a 1911 C&L .... it has two safeties (three on series 80 type guns)..... I used to be afraid of it, but I got over it, when experience and reason showed me how irrational the fear was.

*the exception was the P238, which was only gritty and heavy.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old September 20, 2012, 09:05 AM   #35
AK103K

Quote:
Really? If you prefer a SAO pistol (which I do) and carry cocked (which I do) it only makes sense to use a thumb safety to also make sure it's "locked." Highly dangerous otherwise.
When carried in a holster (and even when not), I dont think they are any more dangerous than anything else. I used to find the thumb safety knocked off on my 1911's at the end of the day on a pretty regular basis.

Quote:
Unless there is something mechanically wrong, whats it matter? If you can only seem to shoot one type well, whos fault is that? 99.9% of all current commercial factory triggers are "decent". Its not the guns fault if you cant shoot it.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:44 AM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:

Quote:
Unless there is something mechanically wrong, whats it matter?
I have spent quite a bit of time and money instilling muscle memory to run a short, crisp SA 1911 style trigger...... anything radically different would be counterproductive for me. That matters.

If it is signifcantly worse than what I'm used to, then it does not really matter: not interested.

If it is very similar, and the gun is as reliable as reputed, then I am interested.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old September 20, 2012, 10:09 PM   #37
KyJim

Quote:
Below is what I said in my original post. I'll just add that when I say "surprisingly good" I'm talking about the fact that it is a non-1911 trigger. I've owned and shot 1911s with worse triggers but the Sig 220 does not approach a Les Baer, for example. It's not straight back but that did not bother me.

Quote:
The trigger on the 220 was surprisingly good. The trigger is advertised to be five and a half pounds but I would have guessed it to be just a bit lighter. I could feel what I believe is the firing pin block being disengaged and then the trigger breaks fairly crisp. The trigger on my C3 1911 is actually heavier but breaks even cleaner. It's going to be darned near impossible for any carry gun to have a better trigger than a good 1911.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:24 AM   #38
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Ummm, kind of an important feature on a SAO gun.