The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2012, 12:10 AM   #1
ScotchMan

HK P2000sk Review

The Heckler & Koch P2000sk is a subcompact version of the P2000 pistol. The P2000 is essentially a redesigned USP Compact, with the biggest difference appearing to be ergonomics.

I acquired my P2000sk in a constantly evolving search for the perfect carry gun. Over time, I've come to the conclusions that my perfect carry gun is 9mm, has a 10+1 capacity, is less than 5" in height, has no manual safeties, and ideally has a consistent shot-to-shot trigger pull.

I have a Ruger SR9c, Glock 26 Gen4, and Walther PPS, but each of these lacked something I was looking for. I also have an HK45, and am completely in love with that gun, considering it to be perfect for its purpose as a full-size weapon. So why not see what HK offers for a carry gun?

I bought the P2000sk sight unseen. I had handled a P2000 fullsize, and liked the feel and trigger a lot. Now that I have my sk, it is the best carry gun I've seen to date, and I am very happy I took the risk.

Design
The P2000sk comes in two chamberings, 9mm and .40 S&W. I went with my favorite caliber, 9mm. It has an accessory rail, standard three dot sights, ambidextrous slide release, two backstrap sizes, loaded chamber indicator (in the form of some red paint on the extractor), lacks front serrations, and is hammer-fired. The magazine release is a paddle underneath the trigger guard; if you've ever handled a modern HK or Walther before, you are familiar with them. They are meant to be used with your firing hand, usually with your trigger finger, but some like to use their middle finger, or offhand thumb. This is one area that the gun could be improved upon. Not the style of the release, for I am a convert to this style and like it on all my guns. Rather, the P2000 series mag release is too small. I have a hard time reaching it. Fortunately, an extended release is available, and I installed it on my gun before taking it to the range for the first time. With this part installed, I have zero complaints about the mag release, and I think HK should offer it standard.

Size-wise, the gun is identical in dimensions to a Walther PPS, except the width. It is obviously going to be a little thicker due to being a double stack. It is not quite as thick as my Glock 26, but it is a little longer in the grip as well. I find it to be a good compromise of height and width.

Ergonomics
This is a very personal subject, and everyone's opinion will be different. My opinion, however, is that this is the most comfortable subcompact I've ever held. And I can't think of any that I haven't at least held in the store. It feels like it was designed for my specific hand, a comment that I hear often about HKs, and that I also feel about my larger HK45. The sides of the grip aren't too aggressively checkered, allowing comfortable carry against bare skin for extended periods. The gun's magazines come with a sort of shelf (its not quite an extension). I personally dislike these and replaced the floorplates of all my magazines with flush versions. The gun is fully ambidextrous; the mag and slide releases are ambidextrous, and in the DA/SA version, the decocker is on the back next to the hammer.

Standard Magazine & Standard Mag Release:

The trigger is serrated and curved such that you maintain solid contact with it throughout the firing process. Some guns (Glock) seem to have a curved trigger that encourages my finger to move on it while firing. I really appreciate the design of the trigger in this gun.

It is the first subcompact gun I have owned that I can fire hundreds of rounds with in one session and not experience any kind of pain or discomfort due to rubbing, pinching, catching, or other symptoms.

Trigger
Two versions of the trigger are available (well, really four, but more on that in a moment). The V3 (variant 3) version comes with a standard DA/SA with decocker. The V2 comes with HK's take on a double action only trigger, called the LEM or CDA trigger (Law Enforcement Modification, or Combat Defense Action). These models come with a bobbed hammer.

The LEM is a bit tricky to understand if you've never held one, but I will do my best. There are also some videos on YouTube demonstrating its use. There are two hammer springs at work, an external and an internal. When you rack the slide (either through chambering a round, or firing the gun), the internal spring is cocked. The external hammer is at rest, the trigger is fully forward, and it appears to the naked eye to be a decocked gun. This is how the weapon is carried. When pressure is applied to the trigger, there is a long but light pull, about 2lbs or so. While the trigger is being pulled, the hammer is moving back. Once the trigger is most of the way back, you meet a point of resistance. Pulling through this resistance drops the hammer and fires the gun. At this point, you can release out to the reset point, which is the same point the resistance starts. Or you can release the trigger all the way out and start over. The hammer will safely drop as the trigger is released.

The V2 variant of the gun is considered "heavy" LEM. The pull weight at the end is rated at 7.3lbs. There are medium and light variants as well, weighing in at about 6 and 4.5lbs respectively. My thoughts on the LEM, now that I've fired it, are twofold. First, that it is harder to fire accurately than my other, striker-fired guns with lighter triggers. Second, that I love it, and never want to go back. Because of the increased resistance, it requires a bit more attention to proper trigger control in order to shoot well. But the convenience, and inherent safety of the long trigger pull, means accidental discharges will be very difficult if the gun snags on something (especially if your thumb is over the hammer), and also that you have to really mean it when you fire the gun. I would feel comfortable resting my finger on the trigger in a critical scenario without fearing accidentally firing the gun due to loss of motor control or other phenomena.

I have the parts on order (two springs), to convert my gun to a V1 light LEM variant. With a 4.5lbs pull (usually measured around 5lbs in reality), I hope to have the best of both worlds. Either way, I believe the system is worth getting better with, and I already see improvement over the 300 rounds I've fired in two trips to the range.

Fit & Finish
It's an HK. It looks and feels like an outstanding piece of engineering, because it is one. The only place I have a complaint here is with the right side slide release. It rattles. Some people are driven crazy by this, I find it mildly irritating. It doesn't rattle while carrying (for me), but if I am handling the gun out of the holster, I hear it. It slides up and down loosely. At some point, I will remedy this by carefully cutting and applying a piece of adhesive felt to the back of the release, but for the money that goes into this gun, it really shouldn't be necessary. Otherwise, as I mentioned, the gun is outstanding to see, hold, and fire. The gun chambers smoothly, magazines insert solidly and "click" with authority, and there is no play anywhere. It disassembles quickly and easily, and is easy to clean, oil, and reassemble.

Overall Impressions
I was so in love with this gun when I got it, that I forced myself to avoid posting about it until I'd had a chance to take it to the range multiple times, carry it, and live with it for a while. This would give me a chance to get over the initial new gun euphoria and notice things I dislike. I'm here to say, I still really love this gun. It feels great, looks great, carries great, and shoots great when I do my part. The magazines aren't that expensive, surprisingly (about $35 online), and holsters are available from the two places I primarily do business with (High Noon and Raven Concealment). I do think the extended mag release is a necessary upgrade, and the slide release rattle is annoying. And I wouldn't mind some small front serrations for performing press checks. But other than these minor complaints, there is nothing I would change. This is my new favorite gun, and I believe to be the best carry gun made, at least that I have handled.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 22, 2012, 12:25 AM   #2
Sixer

Couldn't agree more. I absolutely love my HK P2000sk!!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 22, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3
PSP

Quote:
I'm here to say, I still really love this gun. It feels great, looks great, carries great, and shoots great when I do my part.
Ditto. Still impressed with my P2000sk after over five years of use. This gun shoots and feels like larger duty sized pistols. So competent, so ... HK.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Crow Hunter

Excellent review.

How are your split times/accuracy vs the G26.

How far forward is the reset point? Alot further forward that a Glock or close to the back of the trigger travel?

I have also heard there is a "ghost" reset that some people can often feel before the actual sear reset that throws alot of people off (particularly Glock shooters) and causes them to short stroke the trigger. Do you notice anything?

How similar is it to say the M&P 9c? My brother has one of those and I can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with it but the supposedly "indistinct reset" that everyone always complains about didn't really bother me.

The P2000/SK or USPc is on my short list of things I would really like to try. I think I would prefer the DA/SA though, but I would like to try the LEM just to see.

Can you post pictures of what the "guts" look like? I have never seen a picture of them before and they are rarer than hen's teeth in my area.

You wouldn't happen to be close to the West TN area where I could shoot your gun are you?

I like your picture.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2012, 09:44 AM   #5
ScotchMan

Quote:
Excellent review.

How are your split times/accuracy vs the G26.
Worse. I have never timed myself shooting any gun, but my accuracy is worse. This is due to the heavier trigger. If I slow down and really focus, my accuracy is better. I put 8 out of 10 rounds through the same hole at 15 yards last time, with the other 2 about 2" away.

Quote:
How far forward is the reset point? Alot further forward that a Glock or close to the back of the trigger travel?
It is further forward than a Glock, but I have yet to short stroke it, even during rapid fire. This is a complaint among some, but I find it to be good enough that I haven't thought about it much.

Quote:
I have also heard there is a "ghost" reset that some people can often feel before the actual sear reset that throws alot of people off (particularly Glock shooters) and causes them to short stroke the trigger. Do you notice anything?
This happens/happened on my HK45, and I have only heard that complaint about that series of gun. It goes away after 500-1000 rounds. I did short stroke that weapon one or two times, but there is no ghost reset at all on the P2000sk I have.

Quote:
How similar is it to say the M&P 9c? My brother has one of those and I can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with it but the supposedly "indistinct reset" that everyone always complains about didn't really bother me.
The reset is more pronounced than a stock M&P 9c for sure. As far as accuracy, I think that depends on the shooter, and the fit to that particular person. I think both guns are capable of outstanding accuracy, and results with one wouldn't necessarily mean you'd get similar results with the other.

Quote:
The P2000/SK or USPc is on my short list of things I would really like to try. I think I would prefer the DA/SA though, but I would like to try the LEM just to see.

Can you post pictures of what the "guts" look like? I have never seen a picture of them before and they are rarer than hen's teeth in my area.
Mine too. Sorry for the lighting, getting good pictures of the inside is really hard.

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be close to the West TN area where I could shoot your gun are you?
Sorry, no. I'd be more than happy to if I was in the area though.

Quote:
I like your picture.
Thanks, I does what I can.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 22, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Crow Hunter

Thanks for the update.

Sounds encouraging for me at least. If I can ever find one around to try out.

I could always just buy one, but the cost of entry is a little steep to find out that I don't like it at all.

The rarity is one of the few things that puts me off a little. Rarity can often mean lack of future support, hard to find holsters/sights/etc.

I really used to have a love affair with my Walther P5. Till it came to trying to find a way to carry it.

Awesome to shoot though.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
I could always just buy one, but the cost of entry is a little steep to find out that I don't like it at all.
Buy one used and save a few hundred.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 22, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Buy one used and save a few hundred.
I haven't even been able to find a used one around here.

I almost got a really beat up USPc at a local Gander mountain but they were wanting nearly $700 for it. They didn't want to come off of it at all.

Last time I went there, it was gone, so somebody must have liked it.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
TunnelRat

gunbroker.com is your friend.
Old June 22, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10
RC20

Good report.

I don't get the part about Mags are only $35. Thats typical HK Sig range (and with some shopping at least for Sig I can get down to $25 - the problem of course is you pay shipping so......... get a couple to make the average actual cost less.

Comes with 2 mags? Thats nice at the other HKs I looked at and Sig should do the same.
Old June 22, 2012, 11:29 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't get the part about Mags are only $35.
I think that's because Scotch also has an HK45 where the mags are $60 (I feel his pain as I have an HK45c, three mags was $180 ). HK has a tendency to be overly proud of their mags. That is one nice thing of the P2000 series is that they can take USP compact mags which are pretty plentiful after all these years.

Quote:
Thats nice at the other HKs I looked at and Sig should do the same.
Most HKs and SIGs I've looked at come with two mags. The SP2022 can be found with two mags too, just takes a bit of searching. The price goes up accordingly. I agree that two mags should really be the minimum. Heck Glock and FN give you three. I wish every company followed suit.
Old June 22, 2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Crow Hunter

Quote:
gunbroker.com is your friend.
Actually Gunbroker is a very good friend of mine, usually for selling though.

I have checked, there are a grand total of 3 on there, none of them a 9mm DA/SA and used.

There are more P2000s but I am looking for something smaller than a G19 but a little bigger than a G26.

Thanks for the tip though.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:10 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
I have checked, there are a grand total of 3 on there, none of them a 9mm DA/SA and used.
It's not an instantaneous process, just gotta wait for one to come around. That or suck it up and buy new. Or don't buy at all.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Mrgunsngear

That gun does feel great in the hand but I just don't like that trigger It's a beautiful gun to boot and HKs do like to run no matter what...
Old June 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #15
Crow Hunter

Quote:
That or suck it up and buy new. Or don't buy at all.

Pretty much where I am at right now.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:29 PM   #16
noorked

Nice write-up and review. now I need to find an sk in .357sig to match my p2k
Old June 22, 2012, 03:33 PM   #17
ScotchMan

Quote:
Well, it's what I did. It helps that I owned an HK, and had handled similar HKs, but I had never seen an sk or LEM before. Not for everyone I guess, but I was pretty sure I'd like it.

Quote:
The rarity is one of the few things that puts me off a little. Rarity can often mean lack of future support, hard to find holsters/sights/etc.
Like I said in my review, the best (imo) leather maker, and best (imo) kydex maker support this gun. They support every gun I've ever heard of actually. This seems like more of an issue of finding a good holster maker than the right gun.

As for sights, Meprolight, XS, and Trijicon all make sights for the P2000 series. I believe Heinie and some others do as well. I have a set of Trijicons on their way, orange rear and green front.

If you're the sort who likes to constantly play and hang new stuff off a gun, this isn't for you. But if you know what you want, it's pretty easy to find out ahead of time what's available out there. And the sk has been out for a while.

Quote:
I don't get the part about Mags are only $35. Thats typical HK Sig range (and with some shopping at least for Sig I can get down to $25 - the problem of course is you pay shipping so......... get a couple to make the average actual cost less.
Well, Glock mags are $25 online and $35 at retail, so when I saw HK mags going for a similar price I was surprised. Like TR mentioned, I am used to HK45 mags going for $60+. And yes, the sk came with two, and I purchased two more, with flush floorplates for all of them.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 22, 2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Coltman 77

Very fine, detailed review ScotchMan.

I've had a 9mm V3 P2000 SK for several years and it's been a superb pistol in every way.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old June 22, 2012, 09:04 PM   #19
TimeRegained

This write up was so great I'm going to have to read it again. The HK45c is my personal favorite. Will definitely have to look into this. Thank you.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:27 AM   #20
RBid

Great write-up, sir. Very well done!

I initially read this on my lunch break, which inspired me to hit an LGS on the way home to see if they had one. They didn't. I asked if either of their other 2 stores (they have 3 within a 15 mile radius) had one. Negative.

/sigh

I won't be replacing my SR9c, but adding another pistol is never a bad thing
Old June 23, 2012, 08:41 AM   #21
HKGuns

Great pistol and great writeup. I've always wanted one of these little guys and you may have just pushed me over the edge.
Old June 23, 2012, 08:45 AM   #22
ScotchMan

Thanks for all the positive comments. Maybe I will do similar write-ups for my PPS and HK45 as well.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 23, 2012, 10:37 AM   #23
Crow Hunter

Quote:
Thanks for all the positive comments. Maybe I will do similar write-ups for my PPS and HK45 as well.
Please do.

Especially the PPS. It is another gun that I have been interested in.

Good luck.
Old June 23, 2012, 11:12 PM   #24
BarryLee

Quote:
Maybe I will do similar write-ups for my PPS and HK45 as well.
Yes, I would love your opinions and experiences with the HK45, also if possible how it compares to the USP 45.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 28, 2012, 08:03 PM   #25
ScotchMan

Sorry for the unnecessary bump, I just wanted to include this update in case future P2000sk researchers come across this thread.

I fixed the right side slide release rattling issue. I came across an ingenius solution from HKPro user ghm3 (http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...sk-my-fix.html), involving using shrink tubing to cover the slide release. It now has a rubbery surface which does not interfere with use (it may even help it), and the rattle is completely gone as the release can no longer move on its own.

I'll be the first to admit that that is now TWO things I had to modify on the gun for it to be perfect (slide release rattle, and extended magazine release), but I am happier than ever with the gun. I still continue to carry and shoot it, and just can't find anything I don't love.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member