The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 20, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Montoya

FAL

I really want a 308 semi auto "Battle Rifle". Is it a good idea to sell a pretty nice AR-15 just to buy a FAL?
Old June 20, 2012, 11:11 PM   #2
KChen986

Is that your only AR?

I have a couple of ARs and 2 FALs. To be absolutely honest, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the AR.

If you're looking to improve your collection and you have more than 1 AR, go right ahead.
Old June 20, 2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Ruthless4christ

if it is a real FAL yes. CAI does not count as a real FAL
Old June 21, 2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Montoya

I dont know if it is a real one it Canada is stamped near the receiver. And it is my only AR.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Skans

I would take any of the following over just about any AR-15:

Imported FN FAL - any configuration
Imported Israeli FAL (made on FN forged receivers)
Imported Australian FAL
(I don't care for the South American FAL's)
Imported British or Canadian FAL's.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

if you can afford it, look at the rra lar-8 elite operator or the sig 716
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 21, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
RT

How much are you looking to spend? I love my DSA FAL, but I think SCAR-17> AR-10>FAL.
Old June 21, 2012, 03:55 PM   #8
a7mmnut

FAL's are almost gone, AR's are here forever.

-7-
Old June 21, 2012, 11:42 PM   #9
KChen986

To lend credence to my response:

I have a 21" Imbel FAL built by CAI. It is a great gun. Good ergonomics. Soft recoiling. Feeds, fires and extracts all the crap I put through it.

It is a big gun though. I would be happy to use that thing in a big, flat open environment, but put me in to a house with that thing, and I'll be an unhappy camper.

I also have a 18" DSA Para FAL. It's pretty neat. Ergos suck though (chin weld through and through). Very front heavy. Kicks like a mule due to it's different spring system. I almost feel like I'm heaving a M249 when I use this FAL. Occasionally get early lock backs, and had a double feed w/in 100 rds of owning the gun. To be fair, these could be magazine issues.

OTOH, the AR15. Even with a 20" barrel, I do not have much problem practicing room clearing with it. It also reaches out to 200 yards with ease. Mine have all been reliable. Ergos like a champ. I can snap up the gun very easily at close quarters or at distance. Mag reloads are great. It's light, agile, maneuverable, and feels right at home shouldered.

Here's what I would advise:

1.) Keep the AR15. It's a very good platform.
2.) Save up for the FAL. $700 for an used, vetted FAL (unless you want to go high speed with a para, then you're looking at $1,800, minimum). I honestly think the regular FAL is superior to the para.

FWIW. Hope this helps.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Skans

Quote:
I would be happy to use that thing in a big, flat open environment, but put me in to a house with that thing, and I'll be an unhappy camper.
For home protection, nothing beats a good large capacity, .45 or 10mm handgun, IMHO. To me, using an AR for home defense is almost as awkward as using a FAL.
Old June 23, 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
KChen986

I would have to disagree with the sentiment that an AR is almost as awkward as using a FAL indoors. Leaving aside the question of what is best for home protection, let's look at the specs:

FAL: 9.5lbs
OAL: 43" or so, depending on model.
(Based off of a 21" fixed stock)

AR15: 6.2lbs
OAL: 32"
(Based off of a 16" Colt 6720.)

3lbs and 11" makes a big difference. Having rehearsed room clearing with a 20" AR15, I would still say that even a 20" AR is much more maneuverable indoors, than a big FAL.

FWIW.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Skans

Well, sticking with that comparison, the EAA Stock 10mm (what I'm now using for HD)

1. Capacity: Stock = 16 rounds; AR = 20-30 rounds; 10 is enough for Home Defense

2. Weight: Stock = 33 oz; AR = 6.2 lbs

3. Stock = 1 hand operation; AR = 2 hand operation; handguns is just better suited for clearing a house where most distances are no more than 20 feet.

4. At 20 - 30 feet, I a full power 10mm round has more stopping power than your typical 55 grain fmj .223.

The bottom line is that there is a much bigger difference between the AR and a moderately powerful semi-auto handgun than there is between a FAL and an AR. I suppose if you are evaluating it from the perspective of approaching a house from the outside, kicking down doors and possibly having to deal with more than 5 attackers, I'd want the AR. But, from a standpoint of defending self and family in a dwelling against a couple of armed thugs in the middle of the night, I'd want the handgun.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:18 PM   #13
manta49

Quote.
FAL's are almost gone, AR's are here forever.

True the AR one of the few small arms designed in America and used by the American army. I would go for the FAL.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Skans

In my opinion, AR = government-cheap, disposable gun designed to sacrifice knock-down power for higher capacity. That kind of logic would dictate that our military should have adopted the Grendel P30 as the standard sidearm. An AR/M16 and the Grendel P30 go hand-in-hand in my very humble opinion.

Thankfully, as a civilian, I don't have to be beholden to our cheapo government as to which rifle (and handgun combo) I want. So, for me, I'll take a FAL, thank you.
Old June 23, 2012, 02:53 PM   #15
KChen986

Skans,

I do believe the OP asked about selling his AR to fund a FAL. Your pistol may be suitable for home defense. However, the original point stands, the AR is more versatile than the FAL, so OP should not sell his AR to fund a FAL.

The pistol comparison is not relevant to the question at hand, and really more suitable for another thread.
Old June 23, 2012, 03:18 PM   #16
5.56RifleGuy

Ammo costs for the FAL will be a bit more.

I have and shoot both. I think I have more fun shooting the FAL.

In the future (well and now too) it will be a lot easier to pick up an AR 15 than an FAL.
Old June 24, 2012, 09:38 PM   #17
Montoya

I pretty much have my AR for SHTF situations. now would the FAL do better if all hell breaks loose? i have taken in the weight of both weapon platforms, and yes the AR is lighter, but the FAL packs a bigger round. I am truthfully stuck on the decision. i dont want to get rid of my AR, but this FAL will be gone soon i fear. and i really want this FAL!
Old June 24, 2012, 10:55 PM   #18
KChen986

What are the specs on the FAL you're looking at?
Old June 24, 2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Blackops_2

DSA makes a good FAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmJhFIPKmcc

FWIW it's going to cost you, both the rifle itself and to shoot it.
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."
Old June 25, 2012, 11:25 PM   #20
Montoya

All i know is that it is Canadian.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Stevie-Ray

I have both and love both. My FAL is a bit more enjoyable to shoot. But, being an SAR-48 HB, it would be much too unwieldy to ever use in a home, or in a "grab and go" situation. For that, I'd prefer my 6721. I do love having both.
Old June 29, 2012, 10:27 PM   #22
chris in va

If you do get a FAL, seriously consider getting a compensator for it. Made a world of difference on my friend's rifle.
Old June 30, 2012, 04:18 AM   #23
trg42wraglefragle

Have you held it and played with it?

All I know is FALs are very heavy and feel cumbersome compared to an AR and ammo isn't as cheap and has more recoil.

If the purpose is for SHTF then go AR, don't kid yourself into thinking thay if the SHTF your not going to be engaging hordes of people attacking your house at long ranges, where the 308 bullet will be an advantage, the lack of punch was a problem in Afghanistan and not one you are likely to encounter.

You'l want a rifle that's quick handling and light.
Old July 1, 2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
All I know is FALs are very heavy and feel cumbersome compared to an AR and ammo isn't as cheap and has more recoil.
My AR has more recoil than my FAL.