The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1
kmaysob

struggling with a thought.

I currently own an xd 9 & and xd 45. As well as a smith 357. i have wanted a .40 for many many years. I plan to buy a new pistol this december. i have my eyes on the xds ( currently only availibe in 45, but hoping for other calibers by then), the m&p shield, and a remington r1.

up until now i have been dead set on a .40. More recently, i had a thought. As much as i want a .40, I dont know if i want to add yet another caliber that i have to buy a set of dies and keep all the components around for.

Im becoming more and more set with the idea of sticking with the calibers i already have.

so how many of you havent bought a gun in a certain caliber just for this reason?
Old June 18, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, I've never let it stop me...........

Old June 18, 2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
so how many of you havent bought a gun in a certain caliber just for this reason?
More than not buying a gun, I have liquidated guns, ammo and dies to get out of a caliber I am no longer interested in. In fact, I have only one 45acp revolver left, and, if I didn't love that revolver, I'd be out of the 45acp game.
Old June 18, 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
SA Omega

Just ordered a new Dan Wesson in 38 Super....Why? Because I've wanted a 1911 in 38 Super since I was a kid.

For me it means buying new brass, bullets and dies, but reloading these days is as much or more fun then shooting. $$$$$$

PS; I often struggle having thoughts these days, senility seems to raise it's ugly head more often these days.

Last edited by SA Omega; June 18, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:25 AM   #5
ScotchMan

I have 9mms and .45s. I only need 9mms. I wouldn't get a .40 for a variety of reasons, and not having to load a third caliber is at the top of the list. I got out of revolvers largely because I wanted to stop loading .38spl as well.

I think there is a lot of merit in sticking to one or two calibers. Simplifies reloading, and makes it easier and cheaper to stockpile.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Nothing wrong with owning fewer calibers. Nothing wrong with owning more calibers.

I tend to fall into the "variety is the spice of life" and enjoy shooting and carrying various guns and various cartridges. I certainly understand not adding what can be seen as a redundant cartridge however. A 9 and .45 pretty much covers all of your needs.
Old June 18, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
CherokeeT

I own, shoot and load for a variety of firearms. I got out of 10mm, didn't shoot it as much anymore, and have decided I don't want a 40 either because it doesn't offer any advantage to me over the 45 ACP.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:28 PM   #8
RBid

I stick to 9mm. Cost, availability, stockpiling one caliber for multiple weapons, capacity per weapon, and weight per round were all reasons for doing so.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:33 PM   #9
tahunua001

I do that all the time. I still do not own a 40 although I've owned 4 handguns in 9mm and 45ACP and my last 3 rifle purchases have been in calibers that I already stock. I have a 51 gun ammo safe that is completely stuffed with ammo...I dont want to buy another safe
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:40 PM   #10
orionengnr

Quote:
More than not buying a gun, I have liquidated guns, ammo and dies to get out of a caliber I am no longer interested in.
I got out of .40 and .44 several years ago. I am currently looking at .41 Mag and .45LC and considering whether to ditch one of them.

Likewise, I am eyeballing my 10mm. Nice pistol, neat cartridge, but brass is pricey (and I lose a fair amount of it). End result is, I don't shoot it much.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #11
swopjan

do you not like reloading?

If you want a .40 (and I do), why not reload a whole bunch of .40 all at once? enough for multiple trips to the range. may be pricey buying that much brass initially, but once you've loaded your .40 for the month you could put the dies and components away for a while. that's what i'll do when i start reloading shotgun shells and I don't get out to the range often enough anyway so it'll be easy.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:45 PM   #12
dave9969

I pretty much exclusively keep 9mm pistols.

With the sky rocketing cost of all of this, one less caliber is one more box of ammo for me that fits all my toys!
Old June 19, 2012, 07:33 PM   #13
kmaysob

i have limited time to reload. work keeps me so tied up im lucky to make it out the the shed once a week. most nights i come home and crash shortly after. id love a .40, ive wanted one for years, but theres alot of others id like that i dont own just for that reason. im currently loading for 9mm, 45, and 308. i have all the stuff to load for 38 and 357, i just havent gotten around to doing anything with it yet. who knows, maybe ill pull the trigger on a .40 this december.

although that 1911 looks so sexy!
Old June 19, 2012, 08:40 PM   #14
bdb benzino

Since I already have 9x19mm,9mm MAK, 45acp, 38spl, & 357mag, I find that all my bases are covered and anything in 40S&W would be redundant for me.

I am sure alot of people do accomodate for what ever calibers they want but, I find, esspecially with the current cost of ammo, that 40S&W will not do anything that my 9's and 45's don't do already. YMMV
Old June 19, 2012, 11:08 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Don't let adding another caliber stop you. Especially if you have been wanting one for some time. I guess to some guns are only tools, and simplifying the stock makes sense to them. I on the other hand enjoy the diversity, and variety. I've even bought guns because I didn't have one in that particular caliber. Like my Glock G20. Didn't have a Glock, didn't have a 10MM, presto! two birds as they say.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 20, 2012, 06:11 PM   #16
kmaysob

that is one way of thinking about it. not only have i wanted a .40 for years, but i have been drawn to the subcompact m&p in .40 since they came out. who knows, maybe ill pull the trigger on it. if i end up with a ton of overtime around xmas like i did last year, maybe ill buy the .40 and the 1911
Old June 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #17
skoro

struggling with a thought

Like you, I already have (and have had for years) 9mm and 45acp. And I've given thought a number of times to the 40s&w, as I think it's a good caliber. But to me, it just doesn't make sense. It's the "tweener" that fills a gap I don't need filled. So, I've decided not to add another caliber. I already have too many as it is.
Old June 20, 2012, 10:53 PM   #18
kmaysob

went to bass pro tonight, i think it may end up being the remington r1. but i have a few months to decide
Old June 21, 2012, 07:51 AM   #19
vba

I for one am just sick of reloading. It started out to be fun but alas now it's a chore. I've loaded .45acp, 9mm, .38 special, .357 mag, .45 Colt, .303 British, and .30-06 over the years and now I'm pooped.

Right now I shoot 9mm most of the time and the last 4 times to the range I did something very hard for me. I left the brand new brass at the range

I may just start reloading .45acp exclusively and buy 9mm and shotgun ammo in bulk. And no, I don't have any desire for another caliber. Between 9mm and 45acp I don't see the need for 40 S&W.

Vinny
Old June 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #20
RC20

I am on the fence.

I am going to get a pure range gun one of these days and I want to get a 357 Sig.

Why, just because it appeals to me! I doubt it would be any more accurate than the 9mm (which I have)

9mm makes more sense, but the 357 Sig interests me so........

Go with your feelings, nothing wrong either way
Old June 21, 2012, 03:39 PM   #21
Don P

Quote:
Im becoming more and more set with the idea of sticking with the calibers i already have.
1911 in 9 mm will be a blast and ball of fun to shoot and for short money. Definitely cheaper than shooting 45 acp.