The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2012, 08:42 AM   #1
datum214

Setting up 30-06 resizing die

Just started reloading for 30-06. I am trying to set the sizing die (used Pacific brand that is a hand-me-down ) to setback the shoulder .001" or .002" on once fired Hornady brass. I am using the Hornady head space gauge to measure the setback. I am having a tough time getting the die to move the shoulder just .001 or .002. It appear as though the die was actually "pulling" the shoulder forward 2 or 3 thousandths or more unless I screwed the die in more which moved the shoulder too far back. Am I just doing a bad job measuring or can the decapping/expander part of the die actually stretch the brass out? I removed the decapping pin and got the same results. I am using imperial wax for lube and I feel like I am setting the die square before tightening the nut. What do I need to be doing to have better control over the resizing?
Old June 17, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
mrawesome22

As the case enters the die, the body is the first thing that starts getting sized.

As the body gets squeezed in, the brass has nowhere to go but up.

This pushes the shoulder foward a bit.

You just have to adjust the die in very small increments until you get the shoulder set where you want it.

This should be done with expander removed. After acheiving desired set back, reinstall expander and make sure it is not pulling the shoulder forward.

Neck lube or a high polish on the ball will help, or, the best solution, get rid of the expander all together by use of bushing dies, or other techniques.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2
Old June 17, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
mehavey

Quote:
Neck lube or a high polish on the ball will help...
+1

Or get a carbide expander ball....
Old June 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #4
William T. Watts

mrawesome22 & mehavey nailed it!

Eliptical expanders also help, lubing the necks is the best option. Don't forget to run your cases back thru your tumbler again after sizing to remove the lube left in the necks.. William
Old June 17, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
When a critical fit is needed with a die, move the die a small amount. How small, I sometimes only need a 1-60th of a turn. With 7/8 X14 thread it will give about 1-2 tenths. dial the die in very slowly. then lock it into place.

This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"
Old June 18, 2012, 08:15 AM   #6
datum214

Thanks for the help all. I guess I just turned past the spot I needed. I will try some Flitz on the expander ball. I also have some imperial graphite neck lube that you dip the cartridge in that I will use. I was scraping my lubed finger over the case opening when I was having difficulties.