The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1
TheRaskalKing

Why is the Glock grip angle "superior?"

Alright Glockaholics, sound off!

I've read in a few places here on this forum as well as several others that the Glock grip angle/hump thing in reality make the Glock a better weapon. Can somebody please explain this rationale to me? Does it have anything to do with lowering the bore axis or something?

And please, no "I hate Glock's grip" comments. I don't like them either, they just don't fit well in my hand, But obviously work very well for some people.
Old June 15, 2012, 05:59 PM   #2
WWWJD

I think it depends on the wrist; I had a glock prior to the M&P I have now. I find that with the M&P, my natural point of aim was much better (no sights; just point and shoot). Likewise, I have friends who shoot the Glock just fine in the same manor.

I don't think you'd ever see a single sided victory in a which one's better kind of debate.

NRA fo Life Member
Old June 15, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
TennJed

I think you will find just as many people say the same thing about a 1911 or SA revolver grip ( or whatever gun fits them). If it feels right in your hand then it could be a superior gun to you. Anyone that says one gun is a superior gun over another because of the grip does not know what they are talking about or they are not being understood correctly. Grip feel is an individual thing
Old June 15, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4
AK103K

Its no better or worse than anything else. Your brain just adjusts to it and you shoot it.
Old June 15, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Burner

I think it is less user friendly than the 1911's grip angle to be honest.
Old June 15, 2012, 06:55 PM   #6
amd6547

Glocks, whether subcompact, compact, or full sized, point like a finger for me.
But then, so do J frames, K frames, 1911's and HiPowers. Even the Tokarev, supposedly one of the worst grips on a handgun (if you believe the Internet) is a very pointable pistol for me.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7
AK103K

Its really just a matter of what youre accustomed to. If youre used to one the other will feel off. Switch things up, and shoot the other for a little while, and the one you swore was "natural", will now feel off, at least for a short transition.

I was a die hard 1911 shooter/carrier for most of my life, and swore the Glocks pointed "wrong" when I first got one. When I switched over to Glock and spent some quality time with one, I quickly adapted to it. Now days, I shoot a Glock a lot more than I do my 1911's, and it takes a couple of mags to get them to point naturally when I do shoot them. Point is, I can easily switch back and forth without issue, and I think most will too, if they bother to actually spend time with both instead of bitch about one or the other.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
TXAZ

It's just like cars...

Some cars fit a driver better than others.

Glock, S&W, Hi-Point, Sig, no different than Ford, Chevy or Nissan.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:36 PM   #9
jmr40

The Glock grip is actually more natural and better for combat type shooting. The current 1911 style grip is better for target shooting. People who have always used the straighter grip used on many guns find a Glock uncomfortable at first. But most people who have no previous firearms experience find the Glock grip points more naturally. The sharper angle sets the gun lower in your hand and significantly reduces muzzle flip and felt recoil. Important factors for accurate rapid fire.

When police departments started changing over to Glocks one common thing happened at almost all of them. The older more experieced officers struggled at first, while many rookies with no experience out shot their instructors. After mastering their new guns scores improved significanlty over the guns being replaced. I've had 3 different training officers with different agecies tell me the same story. All of them hated the Glocks at first, none would use anything else now.

The 1911 was designed with a flat mainspring housing just as is popular today. But during WW-1 there were numerous complaints about the guns poor pointing characteristics and shooting low. Testing after the war proved that the when the flat housing was replaced with an arched housng the gun pointed better for most troops and shooting scores improved. A 1911 with an ached mainspring housing changes the grip angle making it quite similar to the Glock. The 1911 served this way until very recently actually. The flat housing is a recent 1911 fad that caters toward target shooting rather than combat shooting.

I'm not a blind Glock fanboy. I own them, but also own several 1911's, Sigs, Rugers, and S&W pistols. Like them all and shoot them all well enough.

One thing I find interesting. The 1911's used from the 1920's- 1985 in the military are more similar to a Glock than any other pistol, including the grip angle. If you talk to most Glock shooters, you will also find that most are also big 1911 fans. That is not a coincidence.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:38 PM   #10
drail

"quite similar to the Glock" Sure.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #11
rbernie

The 1911 grip angle is a power oriented angle, natural for punching and such things. The Glock grip angle is a finesse grip angle, commonly used when engaged in precision tasks. Either can work, depending on how a person is biometrically inclined.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:20 PM   #12
BGutzman

Exactly the attitude that brings me to no longer commenting... No further comment.
Old June 15, 2012, 09:31 PM   #13
plouffedaddy

Glock's grip isn't more 'comfortable' or 'natural pointing' than 1911s or M&Ps to me but it does lock my wrist forward, for lack of a better description... Combine that with the relatively low bore axis of Glocks and its' the reason that the only 40 and 10mm guns I have are Glocks.

Those are 'snappy' calibers and the Glock greatly negates that for me (my split times verify this). Again, this is just one man's experience and others may have different opinions/split times that show the Glock angle isn't for them. Good news is--there are tons of great guns out there for everyone these days.

Old June 15, 2012, 09:42 PM   #14
RickB

Although the Glock grip is raked somewhat more steeply than most Americans are used to, after looking at pics of guns like the 1911, CZ75 and Hi-Power and comparing them to Glocks, it's not so much the angle of the front and rear grip straps that's different, but the location of the top of the frame. On most of the older generation of guns, the top of the frame (beavertail) is about at the mid-point of the trigger, while on a Glock the top of the frame is at the pivot-point of the trigger; much higher. Getting a "high grip" requires cocking the wrist, which I find not so much good or bad, but just a lot different from what I'm used to.
Old June 15, 2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Auto426

It's not so much the angle of the grip, it's the high cut on the backstrap that allows the rear of the gun to sink further down in your hand than most other automatics. When the rear of the slide goes down, the front comes up, making them point high for shooters not used to it.

Whether it's superior to more traditional grips is subjective. Some feel it creates a situation that helps prevent muzzle flip, others just don't care for the feel. Revolver shooters usually like it because the setup is similar to how a revolver points.
Old June 15, 2012, 10:45 PM   #16
jmortimer

Never heard this- just the opposite
Old June 16, 2012, 12:17 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Won't make any claim for any one else, but to me, the GLock grip is not superior in any fashion. You can argue all you want, trot out all the stistics you have, and "proove" what's "best" for the greatest number of shooters/situations.

But at the end of the day, all that matters to me is how it feels in my hands. My guns, My hands, my opionion about them is the only one that matters to me.

SO, beyond stating my opinion, and listening to yours, I find this discussion moot.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:40 AM   #18
TheRaskalKing

I absolutely agree, 44AMP. I like what fits well in my hands, and glocks don't, so I don't shoot them. I don't think they are by any means bad guns, just not my cup of tea. I don't think they are inherently superior, but some folks are pretty bent on this, that something about the grip makes glock a better gun. I realize much of this is preference, Just wondering if anybody had concrete evidence rather than "It feels right in my hand and I shoot well with it."
Old June 16, 2012, 01:59 AM   #19
Blackops_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plouffe
Combine that with the relatively low bore axis of Glocks and its' the reason that the only 40 and 10mm guns I have are Glocks.
It's strange to me i've shot the 21, 22, and 30, while all have lower bore axis than my M&P 40, i control and shoot the M&P 40 so much better. The drastic high tang in the M&P helps me control muzzle flip and recoil. It's hard to explain considering the glock has a lower bore axis but no drastic tang. Like a 1911, the M&P just holds, points, and feels great for me. I've only shot 22 maybe 100 times, as i don't own one. Guess i'd have to shoot the 22 and M&P 40 side by side as the 22 does have a smaller grip than the 21.
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."
Old June 16, 2012, 04:19 AM   #20
mumbo719

The Glock grip angle may be superior for some but it's not superior for everyone.

It really depends on the shooter.
Old June 16, 2012, 07:58 AM   #21
drail

The Glock's grip angle relative to bore axis may be preferable to some folks just like the Ruger MK II or the Luger and has a definite effect on sight alignment. Once the gun fires though, the fact that the center of gravity is MUCH higher due to the majority of the gun's mass being in the slide and barrel. The higher this mass sits above your hand the more muzzle flip will need to be dealt with. As the gun burns through its double stack magazine it becomes even more top heavy. Some people are willing to deal with this or just have never fired steel guns that have a lower center of gravity and do not have a shifting center of gravity as they are fired. I much prefer an all steel pistol with a single stack mag. So I suppose one could say the Glock is "different". But "superior"? Not even.
Old June 16, 2012, 09:10 AM   #22
Nanuk

R-E-L-A-X.........

Now drink the Kool-aid..........

There, thats better........
Old June 16, 2012, 09:50 AM   #23
Dashunde

I really like my Glocks for a bunch of reasons - but the grip angle isnt really one of them.

They do aim high for me, particularly noticeable during draw-n-fire practice after doing the same with my Kahr.

They dont aim high for me if I start with the Glocks.
Old June 16, 2012, 11:39 AM   #24
ScotchMan

I think if you've never handled a handgun before, of any kind, and someone put a Glock and a 1911 in your hand and did the "pointing" test (close eyes, raise gun, open eyes, sights should be lined up), a larger majority of people would have success with the Glock.

However, I find that it takes me about 15 rounds, or maybe 3 "pointing tests" to switch between grip angles. After that, the grip angle I'm using becomes natural and the other one becomes too high or too low. So it's not worth making any decisions about, they both work.

As far as recoil characteristics, I can't speak to that. My only Glock experience has been with 9mm, and basically all 9mms feel the same to me.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 16, 2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Constantine

+1 w/ Scotch Man

Love them..I don't ever really notice this "grip angle" thing either. I can shoot point on with my 1911, then SIG, then Glock and back and forth all day long at the range. Never understood this grip angle thing too much.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Closed Thread