The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 11, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
buckhorn

Should you store your clips fully loaded?

I've only got 4 clips for my Minis [two for 14 and two for 30 ]. I had always heard it's wise to load down 3 0r 4 rounds from max. to preserve the magazine spring. My extra clips very rarely get used. [ I got a 20, and 30 for each, plus 2 5 round clips I forgot to mention. ] I usually only load 15 rounds in the 20's and 20 rounds in the thirty's. Am I wasting capacity? When I shoot, I tend to use the 20 rounders, as they are easier to move around. Every once in a while, I'll unload the unused clips and reload them with fresh ammo, but I keep going back to the 20's for regular shooting. Some times, the 30's and 5's sit around for six months or more, not used.

Last edited by buckhorn; June 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Jimro

No, the ammo being pressed against the feed lips of your metal magazines is one of the causes for feed lip failure.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old June 11, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
jmr40

Maybe being a little picky but these are clips.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-56-223-rem...item19d1dab761

You use them to load ammo into the Magazine faster and easier.

Down loading is debatable. It probably does not make any difference in spring life, but with some guns and some magazines if you insert the fully loaded magazine into a gun the 1st round does not strip off easily. I've found this to be an issue with some magazines and not with others. As a rule I download by 1 or 2 rounds just to ensure the 1st round feeds easier. Not a problem with all mags, but just to be consistent, I do it with all of mine. I don't believe it has an effect on spring life, but others do.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
rickyrick

Maxed out mags do at times have feed issues or some other malfunction on the few two or three rounds. But it's unpredictable some will work just fine.
Old June 11, 2012, 02:12 PM   #5
gunsablazin

I have 3, 30rd mags loaded with 28 rds. that have been loaded for several years. I do take them to the range occasionally to make sure they are OK, so far so good. I believe that it has been established that cycling the mag wears out the spring, leaving them loaded should not hurt them at all. YMMV

P.S. These are GI AR mags
Old June 11, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
gwnorth

Springs wear from cycling, not from static loads, so no worry about the springs. The one caveat I know to that rule is some high capacity mags that basically, when fully loaded, compress the spring beyond its designed limits.

Ruger factory mini mags seem very robust, at least my mini 14 mags do. I don't know if I'd even worry about the feed lips on those - they are pretty beefy steel mags to me (nothing light weight or flimsy about them).
Old June 11, 2012, 06:46 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Going only by my FAL, I had one mag loaded for 20 years, all 20 rounds. It was the first fired at the range a few years ago and all went swimmingly. I suspect it depends on the rifle type and mags.

Most of my mags are empty. I keep one FAL mag loaded and one AR mag loaded.
Old June 11, 2012, 06:49 PM   #8
ScottRiqui

With the Magpul PMAG magazines for the AR, you can store them fully-loaded without worrying about deforming the feed lips if you use the little clip-on cover that fastens over the open end of the magazine.
Old June 11, 2012, 07:57 PM   #9
bamaranger

after market

Aftermarket Mini-14-30 mags are notoriously cheap and unreliable. Anything I could do (like storing empty ) to prolong their longevity would be a plus.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Rogervzv

I kept a couple of my Ruger-made Mini-14 magazines fully loaded for 10 years. No problem. Cheap mags may have feed lip problem but I have never encountered this.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Maybe a sub-standard magazine's feed lips might deform over time if kept fully loaded, but that's about the only problem I can figure. And if the springs are of what is truly called "spring steel", there's no way they can come to harm. I'm still using 1911 mags from back in my IPSC days in the early '80s, and I inherited some pistols that had been stored with full mags for around forty years--and they all worked quite nicely.

Some magazines apparently are more reliable in feeding if not loaded to full capacity. Maybe one or two rounds less...
Old June 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #12
trkkshotbry

why?

Why are we storing magazines with bullets in them? Maybe if I were expecting an enemy at the wire anytime I'd do it but otherwise just store the mags empty and load them when you wanna go shooting. My every day carry piece is stored loaded to capacity minus the one in the pipe. I practice regularly so its rare they go two weeks without cycling. The mags for my rifle are stored empty and loaded at the range.
If you are expecting multiple armed assailants any day now then your probably not worried about long term anything. For everyone else there's not much reason to store mags loaded.
Old June 12, 2012, 04:34 AM   #13
rickyrick

I keep a thirty round mag loaded at all times and put it in my pocket whEn i go pig hunting. I use it to top off my 5 rounder. Occasionally, go strait for the 30 rounder.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

trkkshotbry, it doesn't hurt them. Having them loaded in the house means you don't have to bother loading mags when you step out onto the porch to shoot, should you care to do so. Or sit around at the range, loading mags instead of shooting.

It's just a trivial matter of doing whatever's convenient.
Old June 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #15
Salmoneye

Quote:
Why are we storing magazines with bullets in them?
When there's a varmint that needs attending to, I am not taking time to go looking for ammo to fill a magazine...
Old June 12, 2012, 09:19 AM   #16
loose_holster_dan

i store loaded mags all the time for that just in case situation, but those aren't the mags i take with me to the range. at least in my state, it is illegal to carry loaded rifle mags in your car.

at least with my magpul mags, i haven't seen any problem with leaving the loaded for long periods of time. i just leave the dust covers on them when stored to reduce load on the lips.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 12, 2012, 09:44 AM   #17
btmj

Quote:
at least in my state, it is illegal to carry loaded rifle mags in your car
Really... I was not aware of that. Is it a complete prohibition on loaded magazines? or can you carry them in the trunk? or in a locked ammo can?

You are in Ohio correct?
Old June 12, 2012, 10:37 AM   #18
jmr40

Quote:
Why are we storing magazines with bullets in them?
All of my magazines are loaded, -1 or -2 on some guns. Others are topped off. It does not hurt them and is as good a way to store ammo as any. I have 25-30 AR magazines loaded with 4 different types of ammo depending on the use, from target loads, varmit hunting, plinking or personal protection. I use a sharpie to write the type of ammo and bullet weight on each mag. When I go to the range I do not carry boxes of ammo, just the mags. I go to the range to shoot, not waste time loading mags. I fill em back up when I get home.

I do the same with my handguns.

The only boxed ammo I carry is for revolvers, bolt and lever rifles.
Old June 12, 2012, 11:06 AM   #19
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Quote:
at least in my state, it is illegal to carry loaded rifle mags in your car
Really... I was not aware of that. Is it a complete prohibition on loaded magazines? or can you carry them in the trunk? or in a locked ammo can?

You are in Ohio correct?
I am in Ohio. It is a complete prohibition. Handgun mags are fine if separated/locked as you mentioned (unless you have your CHL of course), but rifle mags are supposed to be unloaded. I'm actually not sure if there is an additional requirement for separation from the weapon or mags, but I do know they have to be unloaded. Our range master informed me of that when he saw me pull loaded pmags from my range bag.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #20
rickyrick

That's a crappy rule.:... I got pulled over with a pistol, a rifle, several loaded mags. I reeked of sweat, alphalapha and skunk essence. Only thing they did was give me a freebie background check real fast and sent me on my way lol.
Old June 12, 2012, 05:13 PM   #21
trkkshotbry

i could see that.

I guess storing ammo in the may is a.good idea if your storage space is limited (in a safe) .
Or if your storing several types of ammo that you want/need ready access to. I just figured that since high quality mags are kind of expensive and replacement springs aren't as close as the nearest ball point pen why risk damaging them.
my only other suggestion would be to ditch the Sharpie and put different colors of tape around the may to designate different types of ammo...red for tracers, green for AP etc etc.
Old June 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #22
Hansam

I keep all my AR mags loaded all the time. They get emptied at the range but before I pack up to come home they get reloaded then tossed in ammo canisters. I only own PMags though and that might make a difference.

In WI its not illegal to keep loaded mags in your vehicle so long as they're not attached to the firearm they belong to (CCW is different obviously).
Old June 12, 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
jmr40

A funny, but true story about keeping mags loaded. My brother was brousing through a gunstore when he overheard another customer ask if they if they carried 357 Sig ammo. One of the clerks replied "yes, how much do you want". The customer said, "well I have 1 mag that holds 10 rounds and another that holds 13". As he handed the clerk the empty magazines he said "fill them up for me". My brother swears that is a true story, and no it wasn't in a Walmart.
Old June 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #24
buckhorn

loaded clips

JMR- that is a funny story! I wonder if they filled him up? I buy on-line, maybe next time I'll just send them an empty clip and say "Fill 'er up with super". I bet I'll never see the clip again....
Old June 13, 2012, 11:57 AM   #25
jason_iowa

We pulled pre loaded mags out of the armory all the time. Who knows how long they had been sitting there.
I usually keep a 150 rounds loaded for my AK's. I have 40 or 50 30 round magazines and I rotate the loaded ones about once a month or so depending on how often I get to the range to unload
Closed Thread