The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 14, 2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Ignition Override

Do lefties with 'right' guns prefer decockers?

First of all, I'm 58 and will get the TN CCW next spring, but whether to later carry outside the car won't be decided for a while.
My fairly limited, sporadic exposure to handguns, led to a very strong preference for the PPK/Sig 232 styles. I don't enjoy three friends' Polish P-64s.

A very first handgun was recently acquired: the WW2 Sauer 38H. Even though this .32 auto will only be used to acquire the permit, the modern Sig 232 has just as good a trigger, and the few Sigs I've handled all seem to have decockers. The 226 etc series (and CZ--) would be too large/thick for my clothing.

Even if a lefty decides Not to carry in one's clothing, having the decocker with excellent Sig DA/SA trigger pull seem to make them excellent choices with righties and lefties, just in case they do later decide to carry. If the decision Were made to carry, some extra initial tactical and recurrent tng. seems critical.
Old December 14, 2013, 07:07 AM   #2
kcub

I have no idea what your point is. I'm a lefty and I prefer guns with ambidextrous safeties and/or decockers like HK, Beretta and others who at least offer ambi parts aftermarket

OR

designs that don't have them at all like the Walther PPS. I do have an old Sig/Sauer P228 with a right hand decocker and I like it. I can decock it with my left hand and don't feel at any disadvantage whatsoever.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Dc777

I'm lost

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Nathan

Just my opinion, DA/SA NEVER makes sense. If it does to you, carry on...

What does make sense are striker guns like Glock, XD, S&W M&P, FNS, etc. These are all guns which are easy to use fully with either hand. The FNS has full Ambi controls...
Old December 14, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
These are all guns which are easy to use fully with either hand. The FNS has full Ambi controls...
And you can't do that with DA/SA why?
Old December 14, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
RC20

One of the advantages of the DA/SA is its inherent safety over the strikers.

If you carry a striker its mandatory to be carried in a holster for that gun.

Controls manipulation for the right biased DA/SA seems to be the gist of the question (and I assume tng is training and that would be true for any gun with the emphasis of a lefty orientation fro the de-cocker.)

One items I do not know if any semi auto has a de-cocker that is capable of being moved to the other side, I don't think so but would be interested if there is.

I have not tried the HK left handed in de-cock though I do shoot mine left handed (shades of running a PPQ course and the mandatory use of left hand shooting). Its the only one I know that might work fairly well (at least the P30) with the de-cock button on the left back as I recall)

I would also encourage the OP to practice shooting right handed as well though I do not believe you need full proficiency. At some point you need to make choices. I choose a higher capacity pistol so I should have sufficient rounds to deal with anything without a re-load and accept if the stray meteor hits me in the head then so be it (in other words, you are far more likely to be involved in a lethal auto collision that getting shot at and you are better off spending money on driving skills and or multi airbag vehicle vs being a tactical ninja with a gun.)
Old December 14, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
One items I do not know if any semi auto has a de-cocker that is capable of being moved to the other side, I don't think so but would be interested if there is.
On an HK USP you can swap the location of the decocker/safety.
Old December 14, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
RC20

Safety I knew, De-cocker no. That would be my endorsement then (not to mention I have a serious fondness for the HK grips and the rest more than suited me)

Pretty much makes it a slam dunk I would think (assuming the USP suits the OP). I found it interesting that no matte which HK I handled the grip suited me to a T.
Old December 14, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
TunnelRat

You are right too that the button release on the P30 or P2000 should be pretty easy to manipulate as a lefty. And of course the mag and slide release are easy to use as a lefty too.
Old December 14, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
RodTheWrench

Do lefties with 'right' guns prefer decockers?

Lefty here. I've taught myself to manipulate any firearm using the righty controls. Having said that, the FN-X is my favorite ambi gun.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Ignition Override

With such 'Righty' guns having decockers, we have many more choices, provided that people want to carry with one in the chamber.

Otherwise we are limited by a small number of guns which have ambi controls, or must shoot right-handed (some of us don't want to).
The guns I've seen with ambi controls always seem to have a feature or two (or size) which seem undesirable under thin clothing, Memphis weather.

The Sig 232 has what really appeals to me and the single-stack mag. The ambi CZs in Mak. seem to have double-stack magazines.

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 14, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
TXAZ

^^^^^ What Rod the Wrench said. It's easier and safer to learn to shoot left and right than being awkward.
Old December 15, 2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Kreyzhorse

I'm a lefty and don't get wrapped up in the ambi controls thing. I find that doing so rules out too many excellent guns and with very little effort you would be amazed at how easily you can adapt to a right handed gun.

Now, with that said, I did opt for an ambi safety on the 1911. I don't carry it that often but an ambi safety was a must. As far as the rest of my carry guns, I prefer to have no safety at all.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; December 15, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 15, 2013, 08:31 AM   #14
kcub

Quote:
You are right too that the button release on the P30 or P2000 should be pretty easy to manipulate as a lefty. And of course the mag and slide release are easy to use as a lefty too.
I can vouch they are no issue.

Kreyzhorse is right, not having ambi controls is not a deal killer for a lefty but having them is an undeniable plus.