The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2000, 09:03 AM   #1
Count Glockula

I would like to use the Lee Factory Crimp die on a 6mm, 105 grain bullet with out a Cannelure. There is a warning on the Lee Crimp die that states that Speer discourages the use of this post sizing die with their bullets but says that other bullets work fine. I am finding this a bit confusing?? Anyone out there use the LFCD on Speer non-Cannelure bullets and if so do you get jacket deformity? How is accuracy affected?

Thanks
Old December 8, 2000, 10:52 AM   #2
DAVID NANCARROW

It would seem to me that all this would depend upon the hardness/thickness of the bullet jacket. As I use several of Lee's products, I would go with their recomendation. I do wonder what, if any decrease in case life that might be lost due to the crimp. Would be interested in a device with which to apply a good taper crimp. Seems to me it would get closer to the consistancy we as handloaders all want and be able to perform this operation on non-canellured projectiles.
Old December 9, 2000, 07:50 AM   #3
Patrick Graham

I've used the Lee Factory crimp on bullets without the channelure in both 308 and 223. I had to experiment with it to find out how hard to make it crimp. I ended up with a fairly light crimp. If you set the Lee Factory crimp all the way down you'll get a ring or a belt pressed into the bullet. As far as accuracy goes.. I can't tell the difference between a light Lee Factory crimp or a light taper crimp in my Remington 700 VS in 223 or My Remington 700 in 308.
Old December 10, 2000, 04:36 PM   #4
solo

I use the lee factory crimp die on my uncannelured Nosler BT's and have had no problems. I should think the same for speer bullets. I posted a similar question about crimping non cannelured bullets a while back and somebody replied that by using the LFCD they have increased velocity by 100fps and closed up there groups an addition 1/4".

[Edited by solo on 12-11-2000 at 05:33 PM]
Old December 10, 2000, 08:05 PM   #5
steelbuster

Speer bullets are plated ,while the jacket on most other common bullets starts as a copper tube. Perhaps thats why Lee says not to use on Speer.
Old December 11, 2000, 02:46 PM   #6
Long Path

Good and bad...

I've shot a few rounds that had utilized that collet crimp, and found them to be superbly accurate in my .300 Win Mag (My friend Mike liked to load very hot, very accurate 130g loads that SCREAMED out of my Sendero.) Interestingly enough, that was the old Speer 130g HP bullet (departed now about 3 or 4 years ago), and it did fine. Or rather, I was happy with .7" groups at a hundred and about 3500 fps MV.

Drawback was that it really did a number on life of the case-necks. Win some, lose some.

If you're loading for target shooting, the 105g is heavy enough that the crimp is not as important, IMHO. If you're going to use them for hunting, then I can,I suppose, understand your concern, but I just haven't ever had a problem with bullets sliding back into my cases with non-cannelured bullets.

It won't HURT anything, except your case neck life.

L.P.
Old December 15, 2000, 11:11 PM   #7
Keith J

Nice reasons y'all

But the real reason is a nasty ad campaign when Lee introduced the crimp die. Speer is a Blount company. So is RCBS. There is no love lost between these two companies.

Lee's campaign showed accuracy improvements with their crimp die. RCBS showed bullet damage from this die. RCBS even went as far as showing it HURT accuracy with Speer bullets.

As things go, it became bad press for Lee so for revenge, they recommend not to use Speer bullets with their Factory Crimp dies. Some Speer bullets are plated but most are still drawn.

As far as lawsuits, I don't really know if it got that far.
Old December 17, 2000, 10:17 PM   #8
CHAINSAW

Keith J, I heard the same thing that you posted.--------Chainsaw