The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 01:30 AM   #76
tahunua001

I suppose that while everyone else is making their extended reviews.
my SR9C was purchased on newyears day of 2012. the first 25 rounds were light strike city, granted I was using ammo with very hard primers but I intended to concealed carry and could not abide by this kindof failure rate. as the number 1 fix on the ruger forums at the time was to remove the mag disconnect and I see little practical application in this little safety feature I removed it. the next 475 rounds+ the rounds that failed to go off the first time were flawless. removing the mag disconnect also loosened the slide lock enough to act as a slide release as well.

at the 500 round mark I cleaned it for the very first time, the thing was full of packing grease from the factory and combined with all the crud from the dirty ammo I was using I was surprised the gun functioned at all. I began carrying at that point.

I cleaned it again at the 700 round mark and at this point is just over 1,000 rounds, 1 year old and probably should be cleaned but has never failed me. extended use smoothed out the trigger as well, I would say that it is comparable to the stock trigger on a XDM at this point. there isn't a spot of rust or wear on the metal components though there is a small location on the grip where it rubbed against something but is nothing I'm worried about. for a $400 I would heavily recommend it.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:52 PM   #77
captainrock39

This thread has made me go into a search mode for sr9c or the sr40c.I have done my research and the comments here have helped make the decision
Old February 15, 2013, 09:57 PM   #78
haltoo

SR9c is currently available at impactguns.com! Its got the 17 round magazine too. If I had the money I'd be buying one!
Old February 16, 2013, 12:05 AM   #79
RBid

Thanks to all participants-- extra thanks to tahuna, for the extended follow-up!
Old February 16, 2013, 02:45 AM   #80
WiscBuckmaster

I picked up my sr9c this past monday. I opened it up and swabbed out a bit of the grease with a q-tip but didnt do an actual clean and re-lube before shooting. Today i put 200 rounds of federal american eagle 115g fmj's through it. Not one ftf/fte. It shot all 200 rounds perfectly. At 12 yards i made a quarter sized hole in the bullseye with 17 rounds with no flyers. The gun shoots and feels great. I would reccomend it to anyone.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:25 AM   #81
915A

This is the thread that sold me on the SR9c over some other options I had considered.(Thanks Rbid) I still want to polish mine up like Dragline45's. I tried to hit to the 1000rd mark prior to Deploying, but fell short(950). I have not had one single issue at all! And I just dialed in the sweet spot for POA on mine so I can hit the bull with ease. I have ordered an Old Faithful IWB to carry with. I love this pistol so much that the SR40c is my first purchase I will make upon my return home, along with the FNH FNS I almost picked up over the SR9c. And I paid under 4 bills for mine, so the price is right. I think the only one thing I would change is a bigger safety lever. Not that I really use it, but the wife likes it. I reccommend this pistol to anyone who asks me what to buy, especially as a first option. My buddy liked mine so much, that the 9 or 40 is on his short list as well.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:20 AM   #82
warningshot

Just shoot it.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:52 AM   #83
RBid

Warningshot,

We do
Old February 16, 2013, 11:13 AM   #84
ScotchMan

Went through this thread and it looks like my experiences didn't make it into this one. I get crap from some of the people in this thread for talking bad about the SR9c, so I'll try to keep it brief. Remember, mine is just one data point.

I had light strike problems with mine. I removed the mag disconnect and cleaned the striker channel and it cleared up. I was always nervous about carrying a gun for defense in which I had modified a factory safety feature.

After about 300-400 rounds, the trigger stopped resetting. I sent the gun to Ruger and they replaced the firing assembly with "stronger parts" (their words). I would have preferred they shipped all the guns with the stronger parts, but service was great and turn around was about 2 weeks at my request due to an upcoming class I had.

After about 1,000 rounds, I noticed barrel peening. You can Google this if you don't know what it is. I was not sure if it was cosmetic or a problem, so I decided to let Ruger decide as they are the experts. They asked me to ship them the gun, and replaced the barrel. They included a note that this was a one-time repair and future replacements would be my responsibility. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way since I had left it up to them if it was even an issue, and they had decided it was since they chose to replace it. But if their flawed design peened another barrel it was my fault?

I sold the gun after that and the new owner has been happy with it. I've never experienced any malfunction in any other gun, and I've owned 9 other automatics according to my permit. The Ruger shot beautifully, had a great trigger, and was very accurate. I carried it for about 6 months, it was my first handgun and I took several classes with it.

I realized after the fact that some of the safety features were not what I was looking for, and it was not a good match for me. After getting a few other guns, I realized the ergonomics were not as good as I'd thought either. My friend still has an SR40 and shooting that is an eye-opener for me now that I am used to the grips on my other guns that fit me better.

These things, combined with the issues I had, causes me to not recommend it to others. I do think it is a great value though, and if you are after all the safety gadgets it has, it is not a bad choice. But I think there are better choices out there if you are willing to spend just a bit more.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old February 16, 2013, 12:18 PM   #85
RBid

ScotchMan,

All participation is welcome, pro or con. Your post may help prospective owners, as well.

Thank you.
Old February 16, 2013, 03:30 PM   #86
tahunua001

scotchman, I am not going to bash your bashing of a nonbashable gun in this little bashfest but...

it has been widely attributed in almost all of the cases of barrel peening that the guns in question were not properly lubricated in the specified areas. as such the problem could be classified as abuse rather than factory defect and for a company that offers no warrantee whatsoever to fix it free of charge with a warning that they would not do so again should speak volumes of their commitment to customers though I can see how a warning could rub anyone the wrong way.

the "stronger parts" may have possibly been an after sight, as yours is the first I've heard of with the reset problem it is possible that they lay the parts aside in the event that such a problem occurs but don't face enough trouble calls to issue a full scale recall like their trigger recall early in SR9 production.

everyone ends up with a lemon and everyone has a customer service horror story, you are free to voice yours but you should also try to step bck and look at the whole picture.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.