The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2012, 01:42 PM   #51
Dragline45

Quote:
Nicely done with your SR9C, actually got me jealous and made me take mine out to start comparing everything. How did you get the barrel hood so clean / "shiny." Haha a bit random I know but mine takes on a bit more dulled look to it
It's actually pretty easy to do. All you need is 1500 and 2000 grit wet dry, some gun oil, small wooden blocks about half the size of a zippo lighter, and some mothers mag polish.

Start off by wrapping a wooden block in the 1500 grit wet dry and work the flats of the barrel hood over with it, add a little bit of gun oil when doing this and always go in the same direction. You can go back and forth in that direction but don't start going left and right or in little circles. The wood block is going to help you apply even pressure when you are working on the flats of the barrel hood, assuring that every part of the surface gets worked evenly. When doing the rounded parts of the barrel hood you might find it easier to just cut out pieces of the wet-dry and doing it by hand instead of using the wood block.

Doing this by hand you don't really have to worry about taking too much material off, although it is still something you want to be wary about. The goal here is simply to remove any graininess in the metal, it actually looks similar to grain in wood. The 1500 and 2000 grit wet-dry is very mildly abrasive compared to most sandpaper. It is used for prepping metal before painting to get it nice and smooth. You could just polish the whole barrel hood with a polishing compound but you will be left with graininess in the metal. If you want a flat mirror polish you need to start with the wet dry and finish up with the polishing compound. At some point you are going to want to switch to the 2000 grit wet dry to and repeat the process and finish up before you start polishing. The 2000 is less abrasive so it will make everything easier to polish out after you are done. You can check your progress periodically by polishing spots to see if any graininess is left in the metal.

Once you are satisfied that all the graininess in the metal is gone, wrap one of the wooden blocks in a couple layers of an old bit of tshirt. Old towels and terry cloth rags don't work as well when polishing, I find old cotton t-shirts work the best. Using the block really saves your fingers because it takes a good amount of polishing to get it to a mirror shine. This part you can actually use a polishing wheel if you have one to save yourself a bunch of time.

Like I said it really isn't too hard and doesn't take all that long. You could pop in a movie and be done by the time it ends.

Last edited by Dragline45; June 16, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old June 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #52
RBid

Dragline,

The SR9c is a beautiful pistol, right out of the box. Black on black is very nice, and the chrome look is even better, IMO. Despite the great looks, your little adjustments have turned a great looking pistol into a work of art.

I have to admit this: I was so impressed with the pictures that I showed my girlfriend. She agrees with the rest of us. That is gorgeous.

Well done, sir. I may actually try to pull off the hood polish.

Accessory notes:

- I hit three of the bigger shops in my area today, and failed to find spare 10-round mags, or pinky extension floor plates. I suspect that I'll have to order them.

- I picked up a Blackhawk Inside The Pants nylon holster today. I'm perfectly happy with my normal carry method, but I figured that I would try a couple of other options, as part of the review process. My holster is in size 8. I am wearing it at 4:30. I had it on for about 45 minutes of driving, and was completely comfortable. Walking around is easy. The shape allows for a faster, immediately positive grasp of the grip than my Belly Band. The Belly Band holds the grip a little bit closer to my body, and covers a small section of the front of the grip, just under the trigger guard. The Blackhawk lets the grip rest juuuust enough farther out to allow my thumb a starting point to get around the grip. The pistol sits about 1/2" higher this way, as well. I'm wearing it to work today, and I'll probably use it for the next few weeks to test it.
Old June 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #53
ScotchMan

Just wait till you try a real IWB holster, custom-fit to the SR9c. I'd recommend a Crossbreed Supertuck for your carry location. If you think that's comfortable, try a Crossbreed.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 16, 2012, 05:40 PM   #54
RBid

ScotchMan,

That is a very well timed recommendation. I have been checking out reviews for the Super Tuck. I think I will order one on pay day. That should give me a fair amount of time to try the Blackhawk.
Old June 19, 2012, 01:55 PM   #55
RBid

Range Trip #4:

I have the day off today, so I got up early, and hit the range by 9:00am. I took 150 rounds of Remington UMC 115 gr FMJ. Zero malfunctions, for the day.

The current count is 550 total rounds fired, 0 failures. I didn't clean the SR9c after my last visit, so that marks 300 consecutive rounds fired through a dirty, dry pistol, with no hiccups.

I opened it up when I got home today, and gave it a bath.

More review points: Ejection pattern

First, I have to tip my hat to Plouffedaddy (sp?), who had the presence of mind to include mentioning ejection pattern in his G20 review. I feel silly for having neglected to do so in this thread.

As I mentioned in the opening post, the SR9c has a beefy extractor, and ejection port. When you fire the weapon, you don't have to worry about brass in the face. It ejects authoritatively to the right, and slightly back. While I will always wear eyes at the range, I have no fear of catching brass in the face if I have to deploy this weapon for SD or HD purposes, without eye protection.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:13 PM   #56
tahunua001

one thing I will add to the ejection pattern though is that it throws brass a LONG way. great for lefties and people who are normally prone to getting brass burns but not very great for shooters who collect their brass. just a observation I've made while trying to gather brass after shooting.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 19, 2012, 02:29 PM   #57
plouffedaddy

Sounds like you've got an excellent gun there brother. Glad to hear it.
Old June 19, 2012, 05:46 PM   #58
RBid

Thank you, to all participants.

I feel like we have all put enough in here to serve the thread's intended purpose. At this point, I'll stop updating with round count, and let this review drift away until people search for SR9c reviews.
Old June 19, 2012, 06:15 PM   #59
comn-cents

Thanks for sharing, I too have a sr9c with 1000 rds through it, with no malfunctions. I do a little bit of canoeing and the sr9c comes with me in a maxpadition bag. I took a swim and the sr9c got a nice bath. I left it for about three weeks just to see what it would look like. Pulled it out and there was no sign of rust, shot it without a hiccup, it is one of my favorite CCW.
Old June 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #60
iamdb

Brave man. Braver than I. I don't mind dirt but in Florida, water = rust. We have mostly saltwater here. Glad to hear no ill effects.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 20, 2012, 09:09 PM   #61
Mercenary

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how the black finish holds up on the River SR series?
Old June 20, 2012, 09:10 PM   #62
iamdb

I dont understand what your asking exactly. can you rephrase that?
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 21, 2012, 08:50 AM   #63
ScotchMan

Seems like his phone auto-corrected Ruger to River.

I don't have experience with the black finish but I'd be surprised if its not great.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 21, 2012, 09:32 AM   #64
Mercenary

Lol, sorry my phone did auto correct. I meant Ruger. How durable is the finish on the black/blued models of the SR Series? Does it wear easily or is it comparable to the Tennifer on Glocks?
Old June 21, 2012, 10:07 AM   #65
RBid

I haven't had my SR9c long enough to properly evaluate the 'Nitrodox Pro' finish, but I expect great things. It is a very robust finish. My pistol still looks brand new after a couple of weeks of carry, except barrel hood shine.
Old June 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #66
iamdb

On par with glocks and Beretta's. Much tougher than the Steyr M series finish. I probably have close to a thousand presentations from a kydex holster and about half that from a leather. Have only the slightest polishing on the front edge. No metal shows through.
Old June 22, 2012, 01:38 AM   #67
jr24

Been EDC a SR9c for about a year now and 2000 something trouble free rounds. Great little gun.

I second the suggestion for a Crossbreed Supertuck. I also like a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 for the Glock 19. Ruger fits in there great.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:57 AM   #68
RBid

Range trip notes:

- up to 810 rounds now, with zero trouble.
- the SR9c loves Gold Dots

- I noticed two things relating to the sights, today:
1) I was keeping the front dot too high in relation to the rear posts while aiming, causing me to print high. Fixed that, and shot great!
2) I don't see the rear dots while aiming. They are easy to see past.

I appreciate the trigger more each trip!
Old July 4, 2012, 09:27 AM   #69
Corona

RBid - thanks to you, and the others who have chimed in, with this very thorough review of the SR9c. Frankly, this is my next "gotta get" pistol.

I have a Ruger P95, my very first semi, and it's been 100% reliable, easy to shoot (because of its size and heft), accurate, and simple to maintain. Its size and heft make it great for HD and range use.

I also have a S&W Model 10-5 which also is a superb HD and range gun. And for pure 22 madness, a Ruger 22/45 and an old High Standard R100 revolver.

Outside of just salivating for a new 9mm, my thinking is that I generally prefer the Smith for HD because of its simplicity and my wife's greater comfort level with a revolver. And while I do not carry at the moment, it is an option I'd like to consider in e near future.

None of my current guns affords me the option of reasonable concealed carry.

The SR9c seems to be a compromise that works -more pleasant to shoot than the compact 9s and with the option of a high cap magazine as well. Good at the range, good for home, and good for carry. A very attractive package.

I have shot the SR9, but not the c, and found it to be very comfortable in the hand and a natural pointer. I have fondled the c and have found it to be comfortable with both the extended mag and the shorty with the pinky extension.

I have read many many threads about the pistol. I am aware that there are potential issues with it - like all mechanical things. But overall, the comments and reviews are extremely positive.

I may have to pull the trigger soon on this. Pun intended.

Thanks again for your sharing your experiences.
Old July 4, 2012, 11:01 AM   #70
RBid

Corona,

You are quite welcome, sir! I think we got lucky with this one. There were some especially great guys who were willing to chime in with their insights and experiences. That is hit and miss with many threads.

I think you'll love the sr9c. I took my brother to the range with me yesterday. It was his first time out. Without me discussing specifics of the pistol (except trigger!-- you have to let people know how little take up there is), he was commenting that he barely noticed recoil, and said, "it feels like it falls back on target". He shot this after the PPQ, which flips a little more. He had a very easy time with both, thanks to the triggers + ergos, but he came away wanting an sr9c.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:42 PM   #71
RBid

Update, months later...:

At this point, I have been using the SR9c as my primary CCW for quite awhile. I am now working for a dealer, and I occasionally OC it in a Blackhawk! Serpa.

Notes:
- no holster wear at all on the slide or frame

- I have noticed that the finish at the peak of the thumb safety on the left side (where the safety touches skin when I CC) has worn away, a bit. No rust, but possibly a place where corrosion may start.

- Round count is over 2,000 with zero fails.

- if I go awhile without shooting it, it's easy to be right back in the swing of things when I run rounds through it, again.

- the lack of muzzle rise still impresses me. It really is notably flat shooting.

- I have now sold a bunch of these. Feedback has been universally positive.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:32 PM   #72
-SCARFACE-

I remember reading this thread back in the summer and deciding I had to have the SR9c. I kept putting it off until I saved up enough money and the wife wanted me to wait til after Christmas! About the time I was ready to buy was the beginning of the panic and 9mm pistols were almost nowhere to be found in my area, especially the popular SR9c. I called and called a million places and finally one of my local gun stores had one in stock and even held it for me til I got off work. They said they had about 10 calls for it after me! Needless to say they earned my future business.

So I have had it for about two months and take it out shooting as much as I can. It shoots perfect and feels even better to hold. It's my main ccw and I don't even mind carrying with the full mag. When I switch to the 10 rounder it feels even easier to hide under clothing. I use a tagua leather holster because I like to be able to take the holster on and off easy when I can't carry it somewhere. I usually rip it in and out of the holster about 8 times a day, between handling it for practice, putting it in the night stand or whatever. It shows no wear at all to the slide or frame and still looks brand new. It's my favorite pistol for sure and gonna be tough for me to switch to any others.

Rbid, thanks for the updates and original posts to help convince me to pick this beauty up!

Last edited by -SCARFACE-; February 14, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:07 PM   #73
alex0535

Its at the top of the list for what I want for concealed carry, and this thread has encouraged me even more.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:27 PM   #74
AFrost20

I had a SR40c that I loved shooting, however, mine had a problem with the slide stick open a lot. It was actually catching on the barrel. I could even make it do it by racking the slide by hand...... It would stick back like the slide stop was up (but it was not). If you tapped the barrel on something, the slide would then slam into battery. I don't know if the tolerances on my particular one were just off or a bit tight. I ended up sending it to Ruger. When it came back it seemed to be fixed, but I was already set on selling it and replacing with a MP9c, which has been flawless so far.

Ruger definitely makes a good gun, but the SR still have a lot of little bugs to be worked out, IMO.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:16 AM   #75
RBid

Thank you for your participation, gentlemen